UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Diamond Select Maximates

MisterPL

Would anyone be interested in DST offering 8" Minimates of oversized characters like Galactus and Giant Man through their Diamond Select line?

And at about $25 each, how many 8" Sentinel Maximates would you buy? I'd probably get two or three. Maybe more if a battle-damaged variant was offered.

post-160-0-82175600-1407529257_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would buy multiple sentinels, I'm really tired of DST using these 2" sentinels in so many things. DoFP and 59 and probably the 60/19 line has another one of them. It bugs me so much, they don't fit anywhere and are always used for parts.

Is that an official 8" Giant-Man or are you playing with my feelings?

It's just for show and tell.

I just thought the Marvel Select line might be the place for DST to offer large-scale, fully articulated Minimates at an affordable price.

For a moment I thought that maybe this was an early out-of-nowhere Christmas gift.....*sniff*

The subject has been brought up before, and if I recall correctly, Chuck doesn't think they would sell enough to warrant the costs coupled with the fact they would be out of scale for those that collect Marvel Select figures.

Also, (altogether now)… "it's not in the license."

Had to double check my calendar to make sure it was reading 14, not 4-1. This would be the perfect April fools joke.

Although, I swear I have seen that pic of Giant Man somewhere else....

The subject has been brought up before, and if I recall correctly, Chuck doesn't think they would sell enough to warrant the costs coupled with the fact they would be out of scale for those that collect Marvel Select figures.

Not that Sentinels, Galactus, and Giant Man are in scale with other 2-inch Minimates.

I've been watching Minimates collectors spend money elsewhere for years, settling for figures that don't even look like block figures just because they want large versions of LARGE characters.

I'm pretty sure that if DST started with an army builder like the Sentinel, the multiple purchases would pay for the entire line.

Oh, and kudos to jboogie for that awesome Giant Man custom.

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=7129&page=8#entry203879

Given the limited slots available to Marvel Select I'd think a lot of MS collectors would be furious if a minimate took a spot. Maybe minimate collectors could pick up the slack but I can see it being a hard sell. I certainly wouldn't feel confident about risking the money if I was DST.

It wouldn't be the first time that the Select line catered to consumers of other lines looking to supplement their other collections. I know a few Marvel Legends collectors who have purchased figures like Hulk and Thanos because of their more massive sizes. I collected 3 3/4" figures but when Toy Biz offered BAFs for Giant Man, Sentinels, and Galactus, I suddenly found myself buying into that line.

Obviously Minimates collectors would be interested as well as hardcore completists of Marvel Select. I'm not sure if the numbers are there either, realizing that Select fans might be put off.

My point is that it appears that there is a way for DST to offer these "Maximates" within the terms of their contract. It may just be a matter of how they're offered.

Perhaps instead of taking the place of a Select figure, an 8-inch Sentinel could take the place of a 4-pack in the Minimates line.

Also, it was recently confirmed that the Marvel Select X-Men: Days of Future Past Mystique has been cancelled because Jennifer Lawrence didn't want to participate in the category.

I suggest Jennifer Lawrence's slot be filled with a Giant Man.