UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 60

Nessex

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see my diabolical Giant-Sized X-Men plot has taken shape since I last checked in on the thread yesterday. Yes. More. MORE! ALL THE MUTANTS!

Anyway, I agree that not every strong-man character needs to be bulked up I think it should only be used on characters who are actually bulky, which Colossus generally isn't. He's tall-big, not wide-big. That said, I also agree, the last version just made him look clunky, not powerful. I think I still prefer the way the original Giant-Sized box set one was made. (His extra chest piece and big boots add size to him, without making him look fat. Which I think worked on him, but didn't work on G-S Nightcrawler, who did look a little too fat)

I personally don't know that Venom needed it either, but we have several non-bulked up Venoms too, so no biggie. And I admit, Venom's size is largely dependent on how crazy the artist drawing him decides to get (as is the case with many comic book characters).

While we're on the bulk subject, I'm not nuts about the powerhouse chest on Avalanche, if I'm being honest. I get that he wears that chest-armor plate, thing, but I feel like it adds too much size to him. More size than the character actually has. But, that's not the first time in minimates history that a big chest piece has done that to an average-sized character... I expect it's kind-of a size effect of their cubical shape that's sometimes difficult to sidestep. EDIT: I just now noticed in some of the Con pictures that Avalanche has an alternate, non-bulky chest, under his armor... well played Diamond. Well played.

Edited by Gillbob316

I agree that Colossus should not use "bulked up" parts anymore than the powerhouse piece or whatever. I liked the Excalibur Nightcrawler a lot, but for that period I think it would do well to give him a more serious face

I think the last Colossus and Nightcrawler were great. Wolverine and Cyclops could use re-issues of the classic costume, I suppose.

Besides, do they need to match exactly? The cover itself doesn't have Sunfire and Banshee on it.

!

I think Colossus would've been perfect if he'd come with his GSXM boots. Getting those in the latest figure is a redo I could stomach. Same with Best of Wolverine only needing the new sculpted claw hands. Besides that, those two are perfect!

GSXM Cyclops and Storm (Warbird too) could use updates...

I always like it when colors for the same era/team match if it's a uniform color. Especially yellows and blues. For some reason when those are even slightly off it's really noticeable to me. Done perfectly, for example, you've got the Jim Lee X-Men that we've gotten... both in series whatever, the Bishop from the boxed set and even the latest Colossus. Perfecto!

I think the last Colossus and Nightcrawler were great. Wolverine and Cyclops could use re-issues of the classic costume, I suppose.

Besides, do they need to match exactly? The cover itself doesn't have Sunfire and Banshee on it.

!

I think Colossus would've been perfect if he'd come with his GSXM boots. Getting those in the latest figure is a redo I could stomach. Same with Best of Wolverine only needing the new sculpted claw hands. Besides that, those two are perfect!

I always like it when colors for the same era/team match if it's a uniform color. Especially yellows and blues. For some reason when those are even slightly off it's really noticeable to me. Done perfectly, for example, you've got the Jim Lee X-Men that we've gotten... both in series whatever, the Bishop from the boxed set and even the latest Colossus. Perfecto!

The GSXM boots definitely help balance him out:

colossus.jpg

They really do. He looks way too top-heavy with his regular boots. With the bulky GSXM ones, he looks about perfect.

RE: Warbird...

Ya'know, I'm not even over-the-moon about the character. Not that I dislike her. She's kinda one of those characters I'm medium on. But that said, I still really like the idea of her being a future "through the ages" set, simply because her looks/personas have been way more diverse than a lot of heroes. Binary, Warbird, Ms. Marvel update, Current Captain Marvel. I'd dig it. A character that actually has four different code-names, to match four different costumes... most of which have never been minimates, is a good choice for these sets, imo.

And what luck! She has a movie coming to promote! lol...

I didn't want to make a whole new thread, but...

May I just say (this kind of seemed like an appropriate thread, because... X-Men)...

Marvel Minimates... have an impressively expansive roster of X-Men. I just went to update the wishlist in my signature, to strike Forge, Several Brotherhood Members and Banshee (kind-of) off of it. And then I went to the "X-Men team members" wiki list to search for who I thought were the most relevant names to replace them with. And I must say... it's more of a struggle every time I do it.

I PERSONALLY (and I know Nessex would also)... would love it if every obscure mutant ever got scraped from the bottom of the bucket and made...

And because I'm a huge Marrow fanboy, not having her is still a giant sore spot of a hole in my X-Men collection, BUT I at least get her absence... I get that she's just big in my mind. Not the rest of the worlds. So I understand why we don't have her (though I will push for her 'til the day I die)...

But Marrow aside. We have pretty much... every big-name, classic, relevant, mainstream X-Man at this point. I think Banshee and Forge were the last ones who were even close to what could be called holdouts.

All remaining unmade X-Men, are pretty much either obscure characters from the past who were never that big to begin with, and have been mostly forgotten (Revanche, Mimic), modern additions who haven't yet fought the test of time (Armor, Pixie, etc.)... or characters who were more established in X-Factor/X-Force/Gen-X (or similar books) and who were arguably never proper X-Men (Strong Guy, Wolfsbane)...

So while I personally, would still love to see those random obscure members filled in. And those modern members given a shot. And all of those random side-teams completed. This is still a very good collection of X-Men figures we have here. I think Heroclix is the only line that might have a more complete X-Roster, but those are nowhere near as fun to look at or play with as minimates.

So well done Diamond. And well done Zach. I am impressed by how obscure and irrelevant most of the wishlist in my signature is.

Now make Marrow.

And Maverick.

But I agree whole heartedly. Its not just the character selection, but the fact we have multiple versions of each, completing - or coming close to completing - disparate rosters. O5, GSXM, Outback, Strike Team, X-Factor, Blue and Gold, Morrison, Astonishing, and All New are all BASICALLY complete, even if some are out of date. The Extinction team came close, too. It's impressive.

What worries me, though, is that many of the hold outs ARE lesser known characters which makes their eventual release moderately less likely, and probably dependant upon some reissues and updates.

Marrow, Maverick, Maggot... three big wants but where do you fit them in?

The side teams have a better chance at getting made, I think, as we've seen with X-Force. But then what about the plethora of villains? The Reavers, Marauders, Acolytes, and Hellfire Club all could use some love...

Don't get me wrong, DST has spoiled us x-fans. I'm not complaining. I'm just saying I hope the spoilage continues.

We pretty much have Revanche. The one that came with Lockjaw is pretty much the same costume with some slight differences, just remove the cape and hood. I always thought that's why we got the energy accessories with that version since Outback Betsy never used those.

!

colossus.jpg

Yeah I stole this recipe from you a while back and was instantly taken.

Also, I used my Janine head for Heather Hudson's civilian look. I sometimes display her with Viper's head though because Heather needs a Visor to have her hair out.

fdfcce98-bea1-47ae-898e-494dfa5fd49c_zps

A Captain Marvel Through the Ages set would be killer. IF they did a Carol Marvel, Genis (Avengers forever Baby!) Marvel, Capt. Monica phasing Marvel and then the original in his Kree outfit (our maybe I am getting the TV show mixed up). Would love for there to be a star Jammers set though that had Binary, Hep, Raza and Ch'od with a two pack later of Corsair and Vulcan.

...toad sad.png

And Maverick.

But I agree whole heartedly. Its not just the character selection, but the fact we have multiple versions of each, completing - or coming close to completing - disparate rosters. O5, GSXM, Outback, Strike Team, X-Factor, Blue and Gold, Morrison, Astonishing, and All New are all BASICALLY complete, even if some are out of date. The Extinction team came close, too. It's impressive.

What worries me, though, is that many of the hold outs ARE lesser known characters which makes their eventual release moderately less likely, and probably dependant upon some reissues and updates.

Marrow, Maverick, Maggot... three big wants but where do you fit them in?

The side teams have a better chance at getting made, I think, as we've seen with X-Force. But then what about the plethora of villains? The Reavers, Marauders, Acolytes, and Hellfire Club all could use some love...

Don't get me wrong, DST has spoiled us x-fans. I'm not complaining. I'm just saying I hope the spoilage continues.

Yeah, I was speaking purely in terms of X-Men. X-Men X-Men. Trying to (mostly) avoid obscure technicality X-Men.

That said, Toad I'd call a villain (janitorial duties aside) and Maverick qualifies as one of those side-team characters that was never technically a proper X-Man, like I mentioned. I wouldn't call either of them holdouts for a complete X-Men roster. (Though I'd still love a minimate of either. Toad especially, though I can't imagine he's far behind Blob, Pyro and Avalanche).

I admit, who is and isn't an X-Man has become extremely muddied over the years. Too many side teams (X-Factor, X-Force), Retcon teams (Deadly Genesis, Hidden Years), Temporary Teams (Muir Island, Genosha), Alternate Reality Teams (Age of Apocalypse, Exlies), Teams within Teams (Cyclops' X-Force, Science Club), Villainous Hostages/Infiltrators (Lady Mastermind, Dark Beast, Sabretooth, Mystique)... The X Family tree has many forking branches... and it's difficult to prune. Some characters get the "X-Man" nod who don't seem to deserve it, and some characters who feel like they should be X-Men at this point never technically were. I know Marvel has official lists for who is and isn't an X-Man, which they use in handbooks, but frankly I don't even agree with those 100%. It's a mess. So I find each person just kind of has to go with their gut.

I know this may be a weird request seeing as he's the easiest custom imaginable but I really want an official Joseph.

Yes, I can just put long white hair on a Magneto, but then I just feel odd. As if, i just lost a figure and I'll never get it back.

If i could get Joseph with a set of his Brotherhood, I would be one happy camper! I wouldn't even really want his entire Brotherhood, Just a box set of him, Blob, Quicksilver, and Mastermind.

I know this may be a weird request seeing as he's the easiest custom imaginable but I really want an official Joseph.

Yes, I can just put long white hair on a Magneto, but then I just feel odd. As if, i just lost a figure and I'll never get it back.

If i could get Joseph with a set of his Brotherhood, I would be one happy camper! I wouldn't even really want his entire Brotherhood, Just a box set of him, Blob, Quicksilver, and Mastermind.

I know exactly how you feel. I hate to make kitbashed quick-customs with my "official" collection... because then it feels like something is missing from my "official" collection.

If/when I do this (which is rarely) I have to buy spares. Like I bought an extra new mutants set, as well as an extra cannoball and an extra warlock/magik, just to have enough spare standard new mutant uniform bodies to cobble together a Cypher, Sunspot and Wolfsbane, which remained wholly separate from my -regular- Douglock, Sunspot and Wolfsbane.

That said, I know I'm buying two of this wave, to make the dual X-Men. I may buy a third and try to make a Cecilia, a Morph and a Joseph... but then I'd have to find an extra Magneto, and some long white hair... and... heads for Morph and Cecilia (I know there are some ideas out there on the forums already), but I haven't decided if I want to bother yet, because they wouldn't even be like... actual official ones anyway.

Side Note: I kinda wish some comic-book writer would take it upon himself to make Morph an actual 616 character. I know Changeling existed, and he's who Morph in the cartoon was based on. But he's like a wholly different character in a lot of ways. Costumes look nothing alike. Stories differ. Code name differs. And lots of people who only ever watched the 90s cartoon have no idea about the distinction, and still think Morph is an actual X-Man to this day, and not a creation of the cartoon. Furthermore, AoA and Exiles Morph just confuse things even further, as they have the Morph codename, but look absolutely nothing like Cartoon Morph OR Changeling (and to further confuse things, while those two look almost identical, they're two wholly separate Morphs, from different realities.) I kinda wish they'd give Morph the X-23/Harley Quinn treatment... and just inject him in the mainstream comics for the sake of establishing him in the mainstream universe. He could be a resurrected Changeling w/ a name change, or a wholly new character. He can even look like AoA Morph. I honestly don't care at this point. I just want Morph to exist in the 616 Universe, lol.

They recently did this for Blink and I couldn't be happier about it. Blink was like, this huge character, with tons of appearances... but who barely existed in the main canon. Now we have an established 616 Blink... who is active, and isn't dead... FINALLY. I want that for Morph.

as far as X-Men who have not been officially released goes, we have Cecilia, Joseph, Cannonball, Marrow, Maggot, and Sunfire. I made a really easy custom Cannonball using w10 Bishop body, an extra new mutants Cannonball head, regular white arms, and Rachel Grey's yellow gloves. Joseph and Cecilia (and animated Morph) will all be very easy to make once wave 60 hits. so that leaves Marrow, Maggot and Sunfire. I'd also like to see X-Men versions of Husk, M and Chamber, though I would much rather we get a Gen X set first. Since she's been in Amazing X-Men, i took Firestar and popped a red X-Men belt on her, and added her to the team. Oh! I would love to get an Omega Sentinel, too. other than that, there are characters like Mystique, Sabretooth and Lady Mastermind who served as X-Men briefly but quickly betrayed the team. And Lifeguard, Slipstream and Thunderbird III, who were mostly in X-Treme, though i know Thunderbird was introduced in X-Men.

!

colossus.jpg

I added GSXM boots to my recent Zcolossus and he is wonderful... but not everybody has access to those 10 year old parts. ?

And I meant Thunderbird but was tired, I guess. Warbird WOULD be nice, though!

Has anybody discussed making a classic-ish Banshee with existing parts once 60 hits?

Edited by Mystery Man

!

colossus.jpg

I added GSXM boots to my recent Zcolossus and he is wonderful... but not everybody has access to those 10 year old parts. ?

And I meant Thunderbird but was tired, I guess. Warbird WOULD be nice, though!

Has anybody discussed making a classic-ish Banshee with existing parts once 60 hits?

Luke will be having a chest decal that lines up with either Deadly Foes Doc Ock or Best Of Iron Fist.

Side Note: I kinda wish some comic-book writer would take it upon himself to make Morph an actual 616 character. I know Changeling existed, and he's who Morph in the cartoon was based on. But he's like a wholly different character in a lot of ways. Costumes look nothing alike. Stories differ. Code name differs. And lots of people who only ever watched the 90s cartoon have no idea about the distinction, and still think Morph is an actual X-Man to this day, and not a creation of the cartoon. Furthermore, AoA and Exiles Morph just confuse things even further, as they have the Morph codename, but look absolutely nothing like Cartoon Morph OR Changeling (and to further confuse things, while those two look almost identical, they're two wholly separate Morphs, from different realities.) I kinda wish they'd give Morph the X-23/Harley Quinn treatment... and just inject him in the mainstream comics for the sake of establishing him in the mainstream universe. He could be a resurrected Changeling w/ a name change, or a wholly new character. He can even look like AoA Morph. I honestly don't care at this point. I just want Morph to exist in the 616 Universe, lol.

Didn't they start that with that new Benjamin character in Uncanny X-Men?

Luke will be having a chest decal that lines up with either Deadly Foes Doc Ock or Best Of Iron Fist.

Yeah, only problem there for me is that Iron Fist has no yellow gloves, and Doc Ock is pretty orange to my eyes. Either will work in a pinch, and I'm sure Luke's decal will rock, but DST needs to do this guy!