UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 60

Nessex

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I was just scrounging through the middle of this thread reading old discussion from before the reveal, and there was a post where Luke stated the army builder for this wave would be one of like 7 or 8 choices... none of which turned out to be correct. My question is: What was the deal with that? Where was that info coming from? Could one of those still be the army builder for like... Wave 61? Or was Luke just misinformed? (Sorry if this got answered, Long thread. Didn't scrounge the whole thing.)

And on the subject of things which may have been discussed already, but who knows...

It occurs to me that with this wave, we'll now have a Banshee and a Sunfire, both of which will be in costumes they wore in 616. Neither of which will be their Giant-Sized X-Men costumes, which we all know are the costumes most people are demanding for them... which led me to the following pipedream conclusion...

Could a new Giant Sized X-Men set be in the works? Covering these two, and perhaps re-doing some others?

Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Colossus don't really need, their 90s costumes are essentially the same, and have been done. Thunderbird could REALLY use it, he's one of the most dated looking characters in the minimate-verse. Problem is there's not a huge demand for him as a character, driving a re-do for him. Cyclops and Storm could both stand an update for these costumes, and both lend some big-name power to a potential set or wave.

I'm hoping something is brewing behind the scenes... because I just CANNOT imagine that Diamond would release a Sunfire AND Banshee, neither of which were Giant-Sized, without at least DISCUSSING releasing Giant-Sized in some other way...

There was a thread where people were asked to list army builders they wanted.

Wolverine in the blue and yellow was one of the requests put forward.

Later in the thread, Zach chimed in with "Someone here is going to be happy with wave 60!"

Luke then made an educated - but wrong - guess as to which of the requests Zach might have been referencing and compiled a list.

There was a thread where people were asked to list army builders they wanted.

Wolverine in the blue and yellow was one of the requests put forward.

Later in the thread, Zach chimed in with "Someone here is going to be happy with wave 60!"

Luke then made an educated - but wrong - guess as to which of the requests Zach might have been referencing and compiled a list.

Mystery solved. We shall all rest easy tonight

Sunfire?

EDIT: Nevermind. You're counting the AoA version. I thought for some reason you said they were both in this wave, which you did not. My bad.

Yes I was. Many people seem to forget that Sunfire already has a minimate because it's not his classic costume. And even when they do remember, they don't want to count him, (I assume) because it's a costume that was initially created as an alternate reality version of Sunfire. So like Movie Blob (for instance), even though the character was made, some people act as though he wasn't, because it's a mostly unfamiliar version.

HOWEVER... unlike Blob, or many other "Alt. Reality" Minimates, Sunfire's AoA costume also pulled double-duty as a 616 look after he was made a Horseman of Apocalypse... so I'd say his AoA minimate counts as a mainstream-marvel universe accurate Sunfire. Might not be in the costume everyone wants... but he did wear that look in the regular Marvel Universe. Not just as Apocalypse's Horseman, but in continued stories after that... post-horseman.

So like I said... after wave 60, both Sunfire and Banshee will have been made... each in a costume they wore in the 616 universe... both of which aren't their classic Giant-Sized X-Men costumes. Which causes my eyebrow to raise suspiciously.

While these will both serve reasonably as 616 minimates, I'd personally still love a classic costume for both of them, and I know many others would also.

Edited by Gillbob316

I'm hoping something is brewing behind the scenes... because I just CANNOT imagine that Diamond would release a Sunfire AND Banshee, neither of which were Giant-Sized, without at least DISCUSSING releasing Giant-Sized in some other way...

That's a bit of a jump. We released that Sunfire how many years ago? I mean, we've probably been talking about finishing the Giant-Sized team since at least then, but releasing that Sunfire had nothing to do with it, and everything to do with how awesome AoA was. Similarly, releasing this Banshee had a lot to do with perceived fan desire for that character, and our own recognition of his importance, but it doesn't hint at some parallel GSXM release. Not saying there will never be one, but we don't have it on the books.

That's a bit of a jump. We released that Sunfire how many years ago? I mean, we've probably been talking about finishing the Giant-Sized team since at least then, but releasing that Sunfire had nothing to do with it, and everything to do with how awesome AoA was. Similarly, releasing this Banshee had a lot to do with perceived fan desire for that character, and our own recognition of his importance, but it doesn't hint at some parallel GSXM release. Not saying there will never be one, but we don't have it on the books.

If I recall, Chuck said at a panel (or in a Q&A, or when I talked to him in person) that one of the problems with doing Sunfire and Banshee to complete GSXM team is that the original figures are now so out of date that the newer figures wouldn't fit in well next to them. And I think he's probably right. I can't believe I'm saying this... but a new GSXM wave would make a lot of senseheadslap.gif . Cyclops, Storm, and Thunderbird could all definitely use updates, and Banshee and Sunfire are of course needed (not to mention Marvel Girl in her skirt and finned mask!). A new Bronze Age Prof. X would probably be nice as well. Nightcrawler and Colossus are both still waiting for that definitive figure. Heck, even though we've gotten many, many yellow costume Wolverines, it would be nice to get one that more Cockrum-y. So... you have my permission to do anther X-Men wave. BUT THAT'S IT.

(I feel so dirty now)

Even I don't agree that all those re-dos are necessary. I think the last Colossus and Nightcrawler were great. Wolverine and Cyclops could use re-issues of the classic costume, I suppose. Xavier, I dunno. The rest, no argument!

Besides, do they need to match exactly? The cover itself doesn't have Sunfire and Banshee on it.

And I doubt any retailer would want a six- or ten-pack featuring all classic looks.

But who knows!

Even I don't agree that all those re-dos are necessary. I think the last Colossus and Nightcrawler were great. Wolverine and Cyclops could use re-issues of the classic costume, I suppose. Xavier, I dunno. The rest, no argument!

Besides, do they need to match exactly? The cover itself doesn't have Sunfire and Banshee on it.

And I doubt any retailer would want a six- or ten-pack featuring all classic looks.

Agree. Nightcrawler is perfect, don't know what you would change. Colossus from 47 isn't accurate but close enough, definitely not a priority.

I might be the only one who wants some JR JR style, Secret Wars style X-Men. Colossus in the red and silver, Rogue in all black bodysuit with alternate parts to make that weird orange tunic and all the different combinations of green she wore. Sprite/Ariel hodgepodge abomination. All the others we have. Yup, that would be cool.

I would think it would make the most sense to do:

Thunderbird/Storm

Banshee/Sunfire

Cyclops/Marvel Girl

While jeans not on the cover, the green skirts absence is a glaring one, and she'd pair well with a reissue of this Cyclops. A fourth set would be nice, with Xavier and someone else. Nightcrawler's last figure was perfect, but despite two release options, currently hard to find. 47 Colossus is pretty great, but could benefit from a slightly more "classic" look - taller and thinner, I'm thinking. Finally, a Wolverine styled to match the set would be a good call as well. So that last slot is a real toss up.

Considering the Giant Size X-Men boxset was the first ever (new) Minimate Boxset and still commands a decent aftermarket price, I think there would be a desire for an updated version. Plus it's iconic, and still what many of the old-timers consider to be the definitive era of the X-Men. Also, 2015 is the 40th Anniversary of that issue. A commemorative boxset would be a great way to capitalize on that landmark. You could even split them up into 2 complementing (convention exclusive?) boxsets (ala Alpha Flight/Fear Itself), just place Banshee and Sunfire in seperate boxsets to encourage sales of both sets.

Cyclops - Definitely needs a redo, with alternate visor/optic blast parts as is becoming the norm.

Storm - The original looks very out of date with the current styles, flight stand (use the newer flame base but make it clear for a tornado base) and lightning/wind (just reuse Havok's) power effects.

Colossus - At this point we could really use a Bulked Up version since we've got Bulked Up Beast now. That would be a great way to get a classic "Transforming Colossus".

Wolverine - Always a welcome addition, especially in vintage designs.

Nightcrawler - The last one was perfect, so just copy it and include a more determined facial expression.

Thunderbird - Another 'mate that really needs a redo, and since Colossus is Bulked Up, Thunderbird could be as well.

Banshee - 'nuff said

Sunfire - 'nuff said

Supplement a two-pack somewhere else with classic Xavier and First Appearance Kitty and we're good to go.

Edited by youbastards

Perfect wave breakdown would be:

Cyclops/Marvel Girl

Sunfire/Banshee

Storm/Prof X

Wolverine/Thunderbird

Personally, I think calling the last Nightcrawler "perfect" is a stretch. But a redo is definitely not needed. Same for Colossus. Still, you could throw a Colossus/Nightcrawler set in a TRU wave so that everyone can complete the GSXM characters at once (or close to it)

Agreed on Thunderbird/Warpath. For sure. Thunderbird should only have a powerhouse chest. I could see Colossus bulked up, but I picture something more like the last version, though maybe with giant man boots for added height.

ideally, what about the shoulder and thigh caps from a bulked up figure but regular forearms and shins? I'm planning to do this for my suited Creed. I feel like it well portray a good mid range muscle man. Then, for range, you'd have:

Base buck

Powerhouse chest

Capped shoulders/thighs

Bulked up

I feel like that tertiary strong man option is helpful in denoting who's who.

I just don't feel like every character who ha super strength should be bulked up. Don't have the new Beast yet and I still don't know how I feel about that one. Piotr has normal promotions, he has a tall strong athletic build, the powerhouse chest with extender is the best choice in his case.