UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 60

Nessex

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Widow is the closest thing Marvel has to an A-Lister this point in terms of her overall public persona. She's the only one I can think of. There may be other female characters who are more important to the universe at large, but in terms of sheer recognizability to the average person on the street, I don't think they are on her level.

Personally, the only way to qualify an A-Lister to me is have they or could they support their own movie by themselves. No team, no supporting players, just them. And if they tried and failed, then they don't make the cut. Ghost Rider may have had two movies, but he didn't set the world on fire. No pun intended.

Black Widow is the closest thing Marvel has to an A-Lister this point in terms of her overall public persona. She's the only one I can think of. There may be other female characters who are more important to the universe at large, but in terms of sheer recognizability to the average person on the street, I don't think they are on her level.

Personally, the only way to qualify an A-Lister to me is have they or could they support their own movie by themselves. No team, no supporting players, just them. And if they tried and failed, then they don't make the cut. Ghost Rider may have had two movies, but he didn't set the world on fire. No pun intended.

Yeah. Even that I think is debatable, since Marvel has built such a successful identity now they are able to launch movies with almost anyone. I'm not sure that Thor is quite there, for example; A-listers are characters that have almost universal name recognition, and I'm not sure Thor does. Would his movies have been such hits without the wider Marvel movie universe? I dunno. But no, Ghost Rider isn't there. Daredevil either.

I think Thor is, but not at the same massive level as Captain America or Iron Man. He had a solo movie come out which was successful, he was in Avengers which was huge, and then his second solo movie was still more successful than the first. He still moving in an upward trajectory, albeit not as quickly as Iron Man or Captain America did.

Wow, original Thunderbolts packaged with the Masters of Evil who became them.... I don't believe that would happen this wave, but it could be amazing in the future

Better yet: Original Thunderbolts and the Wrecking Crew.

Citizen V/Wrecker

Atlas/Bulldozer

Techno/Piledriver

Moonstone/Thunderball

Modern Songbird is basically the same as the old one so just pack in the gold armor bits with Citizen V and bam!

So, the villains have been guessed, and yet the heroes they're paired with are nearly unguessable?

The new thing, I believe, is multiple figures per body. We were talking about doing it with the Jim Lee X-Men. I think it's going to be 90s X-Factor, though. It's how you get a complete team with only 4 figures:

Havok (with parts for Multiple Man)/Toad

Polaris (with parts for Wolfsbane)/Pyro

Strong Guy (with parts for Multiple Man)/Blob

Random/Quicksilver (with parts for Avalanche)

Look at Multiple Man's costume. Add a bulked chest piece and arms and a new head, voila! Strong Guy! Same if you swap Havok's head and leather jacket for Jamie's brown duster. Change out Polaris's head, arms, and legs and clip on a tail... Ta-DA! Wolfsbane! And then all you need to do to Quicksilver is add chest armor, a new head, and new gloves and boots to make to make Avalanche!

It may be a pipe dream, but it's really no more parts than DST packs in for certain alternate looks. This would be a really clever way to get a whole team knocked out in one fell swoop, and it would certainly make things seem "unguessable" at face value

If I'm right, it's not something DST could pull off with every wave, but we could see it used in the future for other uniformed teams:

Jim Lee X-Men

Guardians of the Galaxy

Fantastic Four (getting us Bagman/She Hulk/etc)

Pollina X-Force

Acolytes

I like the idea but is that a new thing? Didnt we get something similar with Nick Fury Jr. and transforming Thing/transforming Hulk?

What about the concept of having every character in the wave with parts for an alternate look? So instead of eight characters with the Mix & Match pattern there are actually sixteen?

Like Rogue with parts for Brotherhood of Mutants version and Uncanny Avengers version or like the Black Panther having parts for the Shroud?

Either way I like it and think it could help market the fun interchangeability of minimates.

the only problem I see with that is that there are many characters it won't work for. If you create the expectation of a 16 character wave, then when you put out a figure who cannot translate into a second character/version of themselves, you will have undoubted disappointments

Well, having been away for a week I'm clearly a bit late to this party but thought I'd just say how great it is to hear some new classic characters (and villains!) are on the way and how I've missed the chance for some wild comic based speculation during all the movie waves!

I'm not going to even try to guess what the final line up will be after reading all the various guesses and Zach's responses to them so I will just wait and see. Personally though I hope it's on the avengers/thor/wrecking crew theme as we've had a fair bit of xmen lately but the brotherhood would also be cool.

I'm really thinking that Multiple Man is part of this as the army builder. Considering how often we have requested him I would be surprised if he wasn't.

Also A LIst Ladies in the M-U? In my opinion an A-List lady is anyone a casual person ( not a comic fan) would have familiarity with that to me means from a female perspective we have the following:

Invisible Woman, Spider-Woman/Girl, She-Hulk, Ms Marvel/Capt Marvel, Firestar, Phoenix (Jean Grey), Storm, Rogue, Jubilee, Kitty Pryde, Black Widow, Elektra, Wasp, Mystique, and lastly Spider-man's loves Gwen Stacy & Mary Jane.

In my opinion an A-List lady is anyone a casual person ( not a comic fan) would have familiarity with...

Spider-Woman/Girl, Ms Marvel/Capt Marvel, Firestar, Jubilee

You think non comic fans know ANY of these characters? Spider-Girl gets a "someone might accurately guess her name by chance" nod, but that's about it

I'm really thinking that Multiple Man is part of this as the army builder. Considering how often we have requested him I would be surprised if he wasn't.

Also A LIst Ladies in the M-U? In my opinion an A-List lady is anyone a casual person ( not a comic fan) would have familiarity with that to me means from a female perspective we have the following:

Invisible Woman, Spider-Woman/Girl, She-Hulk, Ms Marvel/Capt Marvel, Firestar, Phoenix (Jean Grey), Storm, Rogue, Jubilee, Kitty Pryde, Black Widow, Elektra, Wasp, Mystique, and lastly Spider-man's loves Gwen Stacy & Mary Jane.

Just because they have appeared in movies and cartoons doesn't mean they are well known. You know who is Marvel's A list female? Aunt May.

Yeah, no. Jubilee an A-Lister?! Firestar?! Come on man, if Mayday is A-List then Moon Knight and Ghost Rider are A+.I mean, GR got 2 movies and MK has a critically aclaimed comic, that's enough to make them A-Listers, right?

Just because they have appeared in movies and cartoons doesn't mean they are well known. You know who is Marvel's A list female? Aunt May.

Sadly, you are right about Aunt May. Back to the debate at hand about Jubilee/Firestar, there is a difference in between appearing in something and starring in a long running show which is why someone like Tigra/Crystal/Julia Carpenter didn't fit the bill. X:TAS last for close to 5 years in first run and then had reruns for years. She also was the lead character in several series (X-Men, Generation X, New Warriors, X-Men again). I am working off of the definition of an A-Lister being someone/character that people outside of the specific genre (comics) would have a passing familiarity with and not limiting it to my age group. That does not mean that the character is talented or can support their own series but rather that people are familiar with them.

For another example, Will Bruin is a football player that shows a ton of promise that people in soccer talk about that is not well known to the masses. Landon Donnovan is known to a majority of people with a familiarty with the genre. David Beckham is a superstar. If you apply that level of thinking to comics there are going to be some people that grew up in the 80s with a strong memory of who Spider-woman and Firestar are. There are also going to be people that grew up in the 90s that have a strong affinity for the X:TAS cast since again the show ran for 5 years during the collector craze of the 90's at the same point that Firestar was starring in one of Marvel's hottest teen properties. The 90's also had the great trading card era in which all of the ladies mentioned were included. I didn't even want to go into the 70's where 7-11 did the collectable slurpee cups and that featured certain characters like Crystal that fell off of the list.

If you asked me if Marvel had a superstar/iconic female character I would say no. But then again the most Iconic characters are Superman, Batman, WonderWoman, Spider-man, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Wolverine. Those are the 9 characters that I think you can ask regardless of age and at least 5 of them would be named.

Yes... those characters you named are the A-listers! That's the point!!!!!laugh.png Though I'd sub out Thor for Iron Man.

I think you are way, way overinflating people's memories of those shows. They were popular, sure, but not so all-encompassing that people that watched them growing up that are not comics fans would remember much about Jubilee and Firestar. I've heard similar arguments made with Aquaman thanks to Super Friends, and it just doesn't hold water. rimshot.gif

Yes... those characters you named are the A-listers! That's the point!!!!!laugh.png Though I'd sub out Thor for Iron Man.

I think you are way, way overinflating people's memories of those shows. They were popular, sure, but not so all-encompassing that people that watched them growing up that are not comics fans would remember much about Jubilee and Firestar. I've heard similar arguments made with Aquaman thanks to Super Friends, and it just doesn't hold water. rimshot.gif

Maybe it's because I am spending most of my days with people that discuss/work in pop culture but I disagree. I think there is enough there to qualify them as A-Listers. As for the Big 9? I wouldn't consider those 9 A-Listers they are more like Icons. Similar to how Kim Kardassian is an A_lister but not Iconic (i.e. Marilyn Monroe). God I want to vomit by saying that. I'm tapping out of this because the fact I had to use Kim K for anything but a joke makes me need booze.