UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Watchmen Minimates

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it either, but apparently the guy that has the copyright on it has caused problems with Watchmen merch in the past (the Hot Toys Comedian didn't have the smiley for this reason, just a yellow circle button same as Mattel's recent figure). I think companies just don't want the hassle so they leave it off. If it wasn't such an iconic symbol for the property I'd be okay with it. But it is and its disappointing that we can't get it because of legal complications.

@MisterPL, maybe you don't, that doesn't mean their copyright lawyer might not, and then it's off to the races. Mattel owns a color, Barbie Pink, for crying out loud, woe be to you if you get too close to it. Or Mary Kay's shade of pink either. Best to avoid pink altogether in merchandise really. But I digress... whoops now PAD's lawyer's calling on the other line... blast it all.

I was half-joking but if Walmart can beat that lawsuit, I think DST is safe enough to pop a tiny, yellow dot on the Comedian. And as far as defending a copyright, I don't ever recall seeing a smiley face with a TM notice on it. Unless it's that specific graphic depicted above, I don't see how anyone could lay claim to it.

It kinda reminds me of the Batman logo.

Bravo, Mattalica.

Just putting this out there, but all of our WB products are approved by Warner Bros. at EVERY step of production. We don't do anything that has not been reviewed, revised, and cleared. WB has their own lawyers, and they have their own legal concerns, as well as our phone number. A 3mm dot is not worth even SAYING the word "lawyer."

I'd suggest that Luke offer a teeny, tiny sticker, but I honestly don't know how he would make it, or list it, or give it away. Maybe he could sell it, not sure I would.

I say get a hole punch, some paper, a highlighter and a couple of pens and go to town.