UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU 19

Nessex

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A hole in the head of a bald character looks incomplete and lazy. They don't show in some photos, but those aren't usually shot at an angle that most of us would be viewing our collections from.

But a hat on the head of a bald character looks smart and classy!

Sure. But the problem is we don't have enough 'bald' hat pieces. Try to give Professor X a hat and he suddenly has hair!

If every 'mate ever had the hole on the top of the head, I still wouldn't like the look of it but it would be the norm. But when half of them don't because it doesn't suit the character and one slips through, it draws attention to itself as the mistake that it is.

Not judging anyone for their preference, just remarking on the strong emotions on display, as much as they are on display here. Mostly, I was admiring Nessex's excitement, but I guess I'm less surprised by the negativity towards holes.

Calling it a "mistake" may very well be accurate in some cases, if a hole-less head was intended, but saying it looks "lazy" (as stated earlier) seems to indicate that using the more versatile head makes it look like we're shirking work. Obviously, a hole-less head exists, it's not like we keep it on a high shelf. I don't make these decisions, but I personally never thought it affected the aesthetic enough to detract from the figure, especially with the added customizability, whether one plans to use it or not. We aren't Lego, but every Lego guy has a bump on their head, whether they have hair or a helmet or not. Just a thought.

Glad you're happy, Nessex.

The '90s Xavier has a hole, right? I wonder what he would look like with Spider-Sense...

Edited by DSTZach

Calling it a "mistake" may very well be accurate in some cases, if a hole-less head was intended, but saying it looks "lazy" (as stated earlier) seems to indicate that using the more versatile head makes it look like we're shirking work.

That's exactly what it looks like. It gives the impression that corners are being cut and aesthetics are being sacrificed to save a few cents. I know that isn't true, but if I was a collector that wasn't very familiar with minimates that's what I would think.

The '90s Xavier has a hole, right? I wonder what he would look like with Spider-Sense...

He does, I guess because he came with the Cerebro helmet, although that could have been made without a peg. I think the fact that Luke sold those sheets of head stickers a while back means it bugs at least a handful of us. All Lego minifigs do have the head bump but like Valo said, most 'bald' mates don't have a hole, so I also think it looks pretty off when they do.

At the end of the day

Count mine as a vote for liking the holes, even for bald or masked characters. I like the customizability & accept it as part of the aesthetic of block figures. At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter either way to me.

At the end of the day.................. it gets dark .

The only reason for the hole in the head was for production purposes .......if there was another reason ask yourself why & how a pegged hairpiece is going to be interchangeable with a 'hole-less' headed Minimate ?

Pegged hairpieces have 0% more efficiency of 'staying on' than a non-pegged hairpiece . Pegged hairpieces have one chance of being applied to a non-holed head ...........that chance comes after the use of an x-acto .

Calling it a "mistake" may very well be accurate in some cases, if a hole-less head was intended, but saying it looks "lazy" (as stated earlier) seems to indicate that using the more versatile head makes it look like we're shirking work.

That's exactly what it looks like. It gives the impression that corners are being cut and aesthetics are being sacrificed to save a few cents. I know that isn't true, but if I was a collector that wasn't very familiar with minimates that's what I would think.

I think the opposite might be true there, Stack 32. It looks lazy to you, perhaps because you are very familiar with Minimates, and know that most heads are like that, and have a general understanding of manufacturing, but I can't imagine a person who does NOT know Minimates very well would say, "What lazy bastard used a head with a hole?" My general interactions with those who are not familiar with manufacturing believe that it would be LESS work not to make a hole, and that making the hole wasted our precious time and is costing them money.

Kids doing the Build-A-Minimate booth often wish we WOULD make that extra effort, when they pick a random, no-hole head and try to put a helmet on it.

I think the opposite might be true there, Stack 32. It looks lazy to you, perhaps because you are very familiar with Minimates, and know that most heads are like that, and have a general understanding of manufacturing, but I can't imagine a person who does NOT know Minimates very well would say, "What lazy bastard used a head with a hole?" My general interactions with those who are not familiar with manufacturing believe that it would be LESS work not to make a hole, and that making the hole wasted our precious time and is costing them money.

Kids doing the Build-A-Minimate booth often wish we WOULD make that extra effort, when they pick a random, no-hole head and try to put a helmet on it.

Stupid kids ruining our toys collectibles with their stupid play patterns.

Random Thoughts:

- I'm a big fan of holes, some more than others.

- If it's a tight enough fit, the pegs and holes in the headpieces and heads shouldn't be necessary but that's gotta be a manufacturing challenge.

- The original 3-inch Minimate noggin had an off-center hole to ensure the headpiece was properly aligned. I always wondered why the 2-inch bodies didn't follow suit.

Not judging anyone for their preference, just remarking on the strong emotions on display, as much as they are on display here. Mostly, I was admiring Nessex's excitement, but I guess I'm less surprised by the negativity towards holes.

Calling it a "mistake" may very well be accurate in some cases, if a hole-less head was intended, but saying it looks "lazy" (as stated earlier) seems to indicate that using the more versatile head makes it look like we're shirking work. Obviously, a hole-less head exists, it's not like we keep it on a high shelf. I don't make these decisions, but I personally never thought it affected the aesthetic enough to detract from the figure, especially with the added customizability, whether one plans to use it or not. We aren't Lego, but every Lego guy has a bump on their head, whether they have hair or a helmet or not. Just a thought.

Glad you're happy, Nessex.

While I never cared for the peg hole on bald character or masked character, seeing the point of pegs on lego heads takes it all away. I'd rather a small peg hole than a large nub on the head anyday. So that being said can we get a Marvel Now Cyclops without a peg hole?!?! :D

Thunderbolts Deadpool has a peg hole and a slip over mask with no peg, it doesn't come off unless you want it to. I think most slip ons are tight, maybe they don't need a peg, but I'm sure it's necessary for the majority of hair pieces. Although they used to not have them.

Oooooohhhh. ohmy.png

*digs through mini mates in storage for the next 3 days to find out*

! ! !

Someone had some Palisades Muppets

Weren't they just genius. *sigh*

I am not sure what you're trying to say, BHM. That the headpiece peg is unnecessary?

Zach ,I'm a Minimate collector ...you work for the company that makes them ......whether the 'hole in the head' is helpful for production purposes is something you either know or you can find out a lot quicker than I can ............so Zach, is it helpful for production purposes ? I,on the other hand, do not work for the Minimate company so I'll speculate that the 'hole in the head' is helpful in the painting of Minimate heads ....... I may be wrong .

If the 'hole' is unnecessary.......... notice the word 'if' .......then surely the peg in a Minimate headpiece is unnecessary ? Conversely maybe the peg in the headpiece is helpful in the production of Minimates ? Again I don't know but if it isn't ditch it altogether because quite simply you can't put a pegged headpiece on a no-hole head .

DST should be very proud of their recent 'Mass Effect ' Minimates ....I'll use that wave if I may to demonstrate the current hole picture ..............

Commander John Shepard .....no hole apart from a tiny dent at the centre ........ no headpiece.

Jane .....hole ...hairpiece #1 ,hairpiece #2

Ashley .....hole ...hairpiece

Illusive Man .....hole ...hairpiece

I'll just stop there for a brief moment to let you digest what hairpiece will effectively 'swap' .... 'John' can't swap with anyone & from where I'm sitting that really just leaves Jane to swap with Ashley whilst the Illusive Man watches.biggrin.png

Liara ...............no hole ,moulded head,no hairpiece ...save for the beautifully sculpted hairpiece (headshape?)

Tali..................well I'm not actually sure because I can't separate his helmet from his head ...........perhaps a hole so I'm guessing a peg ....but it's a blank head (I reckon) so who would you swap it with ?

Garrus.......... no hole ,moulded head , no hairpiece

So regards swapability of headpieces things ain't getting any easier but let' finish up with ..........

Wrex........... that's the guy with no hole,no headpiece ,no peg ....& ....er ..no head except for the whole "let's just mould the bloody lot in one" piece .laugh.png

I'll try the same exercise with TMNT .............. & I'll be brief ..........

The turtles have no holes in their heads .....the heads are unique to these 4 characters .

All the other characters apart from Shredder have no holes except for that little tiny dent I mentioned above .

Shredder has a hole & also a pegged helmet which was initially stuck to the head but now drops off if you invert him ....who but he can wear it?

Don't forget that I am on record as saying that I love both these licenses & apart from one character in one of the licenses I reckon they are superb .............

....................regards holes in heads & pegs on headpieces ,my personal experience with the few minimates I have handled over the years is that they are generally unnecessary except when the character makes it essential.

I like the direction that all the recent innovations are taking us in & I'm pretty confident that whatever reasons 'holes & pegs' were once deemed necessary they are no longer valid.

Edited by buttheadsmate