UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Nightmare Before Christmas

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so I'm back up to a full set. I think I counted it out, between two waves of mates shared between 2 retailers, we got 14 new and uniquely sculpted characters. This is a ridiculously great amount for DST and a significant improvement on how waves have been presented before, including the first few waves constant reuse if the same jack and Sally. These have been so great they led me to buying my first select figures ever. The Walgreens Jack and KH Mickey Mouse. I even looked into more selects from NBXM with serious consideration for the first time.

This set of waves is also a breath of fresh air for me compared to the last few years of frustration with lines full of potential being hindered and canceled by treading too carefully. Maybe I'm in a niche but I think of minimates like Funko fans think of Pops. A consistent style I love, a variety of characters, and a deep roster. I did the same thing with marvel legends and DC classics back in the day. I don't like incomplete lines or lines cancelled after questionable character lineups and missed opportunities. These mates have turned around from cautious optimism to damn I am loving these and can't wait to see what's next! Cautiously of course.

Now as to these two waves, holy crap we have gotten a ton of parts for potential customs! These vampires are incredible, the Mer-woman, everyone has some new innovative part. The Cyclops is a personal favorite, his design is just awesome. Just have to add a peg hole of some kind. I've been buying extras of the Tru exclusives for a while to stock up on parts and I will continue to do so. These are freaking great!

I guess I was thinking of the Blacklight Santa, who doesn’t come with one. But, I guess Jack had Santa’s hat at that point in the movie (it was on TV this morning), so he shouldn’t have it.

• 2 months later...

I wonder if this will be the last series. When I looked over my display, I thought it seemed like the Harlequin was the only missing piece they might get to. (I don't foresee them attempting a Thing Hiding Under The Stairs.) So seeing him alongside three repeats makes it look like it's winding down. 

On 10/17/2015 at 2:43 PM, youbastards said:

Just watched NBX again, here are a few more characters for future assortments, quite a few left to make!:

- Behemoth (proto shown)

- Wolfman (proto shown)

- Mr. Hyde (proto shown)

- Melting Man (proto shown)

- Vampires (4 different)

- Witches (2 different)

- Lady Finkelstein

- Devil

- Corpse family (father, mother, kid on leash)

- Musician zombies (3 different)

- Harlequin demon

- Undersea Gal

- Mummy Boy

- Cyclops

- Winged Demon (bat creature)

- Snake Monster (aka creature under the stairs)

- Igor

- Hanging Tree & Hangman

- Grim Reaper

- All-Bug Oogie Boogie

I'd love to see some dedicated boxsets of monsters with some of the unique toys and maybe even landscapes like the graveyard, fountain, gates, Jack's hill with the moon behind it...

Vehicles: Santa's sleigh, Mayor's car

Basically, I hope DST goes all in on this line.

Wow...just went over my list from over 2 years ago...well done DST.

You can tell that this line has been a real labor of love for the design team. The amount of creativity that has gone into bringing these figures to life is really quite staggering. I do think we're probably close to the end, if only because there's just not too many characters left to make.

We still need/a few more unique things can be made as mates:

The snake finger/spider hair guy (neca made one)

The hanging tree (Kubrick made one, dst is making select)

The gargoyle boy (neca made one)

Vampire jack (neca made one, dst is making select)

Pirate jack (neca made one)

Playing card robot (Kubrick made one)

Cowboy skeleton bot (no one has made)

One of the floating ghosts (no one has made)

Shadow silhouettes from the beginning (no one has made)

The gate keeper (Raven in yellow suit and bowler, no one has made)

The Frankenstein Monster (in the movie once, no one has made)

Monster under the bed (just a black head with a tampo and a cardboard bed, it's what my planned custom would be)

Reaper (no one has made)

Apple witch (no one has made)

Plenty of elf color variants (neca made one)

Mrs. Claus (no one has made)

I think the Ghosts would make a nice set of exclusives, one or two new sculpts, no legs just floating on flight stands. The gate keeper and Frankenstein have never had representation, Frankenstein has a full puppet, so disney has the reference material for it. these would both be cool wins. The silhouettes could be exclusives, all translucent black, or dst could let the team get creative and design it themselves within the theme. Is that not how the vampire and pirate jack figures from neca came about?

The top 3 on this list and the Harlequin demon were the last three big contributing characters that I think would be deserving of filling the line out, so stopping short 3 of a complete lineup wouldn't be a real loss for dst.

So I was at TRU in Madison last nite & picked up a bunch of NBX sets bcuz I thought I remembered people saying they needed some.  I'm too tired (& lazy) to read thru the thread to see who wanted them, so I'm posting them here.

I have:

GID santa jack/GID mayor

snowman jack/GID oogie

zombie bass player/zombie accordianist (plastic packaging has been stapled to card -- clearly somebody was trying to steal)

igor/GID finkelstein

tall vamp/short vamp

I cam sell them for cost ($7.49) + shipping, or trade them. (Check my list.)

7 hours ago, homestar17 said:

zombie bass player/zombie accordianist (plastic packaging has been stapled to card -- clearly somebody was trying to steal)

All of those sets were falling off the card from the beginning. I was there when they put them out.

18 hours ago, homestar17 said:

10 hours ago, Onyx_6 said:

All of those sets were falling off the card from the beginning. I was there when they put them out.

Yeah, A LOT of those packages have plastic bubbles that just completely fall right off the package.  I've seen it with NBX, Predator, Alien, Beetlejuice and Watchmen so far.