UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Figures Hot Topic would take Minimates off their site just in time for a 20% off sale.

But I'm subbing in the Kubrick glow Oogie and possibly the reindeer sled, so TRU should be all the figures I need out of the first assortment.

But looking ahead... how hard to find is that NYCC set going to be?

Because we all need it.

I hope at least Luke or BBTS get it. confused.gif

Luke has said he should be getting it. And I got an email this morning from AFX that they would have it as well.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every line should be required to have a glow Bunny in one form or another even if they never appeared on screen or page.

BBT: GitD lab rabbit accessory

Marvel: White Rabbit Variant

Walking Dead: A Zombie in Rabbit Costume

Ghostbusters: Rabbit Ghost

TMNT: Samurai Rabbit Mutant (Not Usagi)

Godzilla: Giant Rabbit Kaiju

Battle Beasts: Warrior Rabbit

View Askew: GitD Playboy Bunny

Aliens: Rabbit Alien

Predator: Thermal image rabbit accessory

Those, and Sleepy Hollow, Sweeney Todd, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland, Planet of the Apes...some of those might not be beloved, but they'd make cool 'mates.

Much like Kevin Smith, you might not like his work but he definitely has a following.

Zach, if these are sufficiently successful, would any other Tim Burton works be considered?

Ask DST! I think Pee-Wee would be great, with a second movie in the works, but it is a Netflix exclusive, I think.

Planet of the Apes I'd do everything BUT Burton's film. We made Megos once, not sure what's available at this time.

We also made Edward Scissorhands products. Not sure if there is more than one or maybe two box sets in that line.

Burton's Planet of the Apes was an abomination but as with many other properties, I still think it would make great toys. It's also the last POTA film I'd recommend chasing.

That said, I'm pretty sure the studio is pushing every POTA but Burton's.

I'd be all over any live-action Burton Minimates, even Big Fish.

I'm curious, how exactly do licenses work for 'mates? I've seen some companies where they can license out individual characters from a movie, but it seems like DST typically pursues licenses where they can get several releases out of them. For example, there are so many characters in the Funko Horror and Sci-Fi Mystery Minis that I would love to see as 'mates but I can see that it would be tough to get a wave out of the license. What would be the best way to get 'mates of horror/iconic film characters that don't necessarily have the potential to fill a wave of 'mates?

It depends on the licensor.

Sometimes in order to get a specific character – like Edward Scissorhands – you have to license the whole movie, not just the character.

However, some studios – like Universal – have produced so many genre films they see the value in allowing licensees to bundle characters from several films under one agreement. That's how we get Universal Monsters.

So in a case like Funko's Mystery Minis, it's likely that the characters aren't individually licensed but part of two or three different package deals.

That seems to be how DST is handling its upcoming line of Indy Mates.

The apes were the best part of Burton's film, thanks solely to Rick Baker. They'd definitely make more interesting Minimates due to their more elaborate costumes than the originals (or costume-less of the new ones - and god, do I love the new movies immensely).

Also, there've already been two Pee-Wee movies, the new one will be a third. thumbsup.gif

Just watched NBX again, here are a few more characters for future assortments, quite a few left to make!:

- Behemoth (proto shown)

- Wolfman (proto shown)

- Mr. Hyde (proto shown)

- Melting Man (proto shown)

- Vampires (4 different)

- Witches (2 different)

- Lady Finkelstein

- Devil

- Corpse family (father, mother, kid on leash)

- Musician zombies (3 different)

- Harlequin demon

- Undersea Gal

- Mummy Boy

- Cyclops

- Winged Demon (bat creature)

- Snake Monster (aka creature under the stairs)

- Igor

- Hanging Tree & Hangman

- Grim Reaper

- All-Bug Oogie Boogie

I'd love to see some dedicated boxsets of monsters with some of the unique toys and maybe even landscapes like the graveyard, fountain, gates, Jack's hill with the moon behind it...

Vehicles: Santa's sleigh, Mayor's car

Basically, I hope DST goes all in on this line.

Edited by youbastards

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Ivan said:

Maybe old news lost in the upgrade, but Zach mentioned during the SDCC panel that the Hot Topic blind packs would include Behemoth, a Caroling Elf, and Mummy Boy.

Nice, been waiting for Behemoth... A caroling elf sounds fun! I am still holding out hope for the little boy who pulls the shrunken head out of his gift box... the-nightmare-before-christmas-shrunken-