UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Nightmare Before Christmas

If anyone is willing to part with or are able to get their hands on a Hot Topic NBX display box, please PM. I found a full set of the blind bags today (for BHM) but the store threw out the box and hung them on pegs instead.

I'm sure he would be indebted.... thumbsup.gif

I'd just like to say Justin that I am overwhelmed that you got me a set at all !!!!! Asking the board for a box goes way past what ever I could ever expect .......please don't fret on my behalf ....... Please!thumbsup.gif

I feel very fortunate having 'youbastards' helping me collect Minimates ..........I'm also grateful to 'you-other-bastards' that also help me . Thank you.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a comic case and definitely would have enjoyed it more if one of the regular Sallys was a second glow in the dark and one of the Oggies was a third Reindeer. If this was the packout then spliting a case in half would have been a viable option with another collector or we could have had three reindeer like in the movie in one hit. I don't think this would have hurt sales and would have appeased the regular minimate collectors resistant to blind bags (to an extent).

I got 2 clowns and 2 torn oogies from a "fresh case" that I called last week about. The guy at hot topic must've searched it and took out the reindeer because I could feel which ones (all the others) that were left. I don't blame him though, I would've done the same thing. It's unfortunate the way this played out for that exclusive. It's almost enough to turn me off about buying more of these.

DST, how about to fix this, a bagged 3-4 pack of the GITD Reindeer for 20 or so bucks through your web site?

Also, maybe put the exclusives in the back of the case next time so the random people who find these first don't take away the rare ones.

My Hot Topic finally got their box in and it was untouched so I was able to complete my Series 1 set (minus the TRU elves, has anyone found those yet?) with Oogie, torn Oogie, the clown and the reindeer. Totally in love with this license.

One thing I was wondering was I saw some pics recently from the original figs shown at a convention and the monster with the hatchet in his head was shown. Was that scrapped or pushed back? Sorry if this was answered. I looked through a handful of pages on this thread but didn't see anything. Thanks!

To me, the most frustrating thing about Minimates blind bags is that the higher price point and manufactured retailer exclusive "chase factor" are taking a lot of the fun out of collecting.

For years we've been able to buy Minimates in full sets thanks to the "custom case" availability, and all of a sudden that gets thrown out of the window to try and generate demand by artificially making 1 rare figure available in retailer exclusive blind bags.

Shouldn't the retailer exclusives be more plentiful at that retailer? What would the real harm be in including more of the retailer exclusives per case? Maybe 18 blind bag packs per case isn't the right number, maybe it needs to be 20 or 24?

For years i've been advocating that custom cases should be the standard method of distribution, and that the old 1-per-case retailer exclusive is outdated thanks to the internet. The current Blind Bag marketing technique takes the worst parts of poor distribution and artificial scarcity and combines them into something that ultimately doesn't work for either the retailer or the collector consumer.

The retailer would sell more if the retailer exclusives were more readily available and the collector consumer would buy more if the retailer exclusives were more readily available.

As for the argument that there is always the casual buyer that will only want the core characters and not care about the GITD or variant figures, then you can still attract that customer by just increasing the number of products per case from 18 to 24, or reduce the amount of unique characters per case from 8-9 to 4-5.

I feel your pain. It's a triple whammy. Retailer chase exclusive plus blind bag.

Unfortunately the retailers don't really care about you succeeding in finding the chase. It's to get you into the stores searching for them; they hope you'll buy other things in the process. The rarer it is the more times you'll visit their stores. I can only assume they find this creates more overall sales than simply meeting the demand for the exclusives.

I finally found them at two Hastings near me over the last two days, but the pack out has been weird. Each store got 18 figures, but there was no reindeer at one (they had 2 Sally, 8 Jacks, 2 mayors, and 3 of the doctor and Oogie). The other Hastings had the 2 reindeer, but like 5 Jacks, 2 Sally, 3 Oogie, 4 doctors and 2 mayors. I don't know if they may have opened the cases at distribution or not because they were already tagged and put on a hanger at both locations.