UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Nightmare Before Christmas

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MEH.

It’s neat I guess... I like Jack’s lanky. If we get Mayor and Boogie with sculpted bodies and the three kids whos names escape me on short bodies they’ll at least look good as a set.

Is this a direct Disney license or being subcontracted through the Disney Store again? Because if it’s direct GARGOYLES PEAS!!! It’s their 20th Anniversary they deserve nice things! (Time to make me a new banner proclaiming my being on Team Gargoyles!)

Edited by dr baghead

So, does that mean I have to go back to my LCS and beg them to give me their one free Minimate? I stopped going in there when they stopped guaranteeing me a full set.... :/

I'll post this here, too.

For a line that has "far broader appeal and potential", how does it make any sense to release these in this fashion? DST is immediately restricting the availability for consumers to get these in their hands by releasing them 1-per-store (with potential for more if you order other stuff.)

The only thing this method will accomplish is giving comic stores a free product that they can hock on eBay. A surefire way to establish "broader appeal" and get kids hooked on a new toyline.

Edited by youbastards

(I still don't understand how this Disney Minimates property doesn't complement the previous Disney Minimates property.)

DST partnering with Disney is a very big deal. Disney controls a huge amount of inventory at retail. Between Disney properties from Mickey Mouse to Frozen, Marvel movie, TV, and publishing franchises, and Lucasfilm's upcoming Star Wars projects, this is the licensor to get into bed with.

Congratulations, DST. Clapping%20Hands.gif

(I still don't understand how this Disney Minimates property doesn't complement the previous Disney Minimates property.)

DST partnering with Disney is a very big deal. Disney controls a huge amount of inventory at retail. Between Disney properties from Mickey Mouse to Frozen, Marvel movie, TV, and publishing franchises, and Lucasfilm's upcoming Star Wars projects, this is the licensor to get into bed with.

Congratulations, DST. Clapping%20Hands.gif

Exactly! If these do well, who knows, maybe come next year (or when EP 8 comes out) we'll have some Star Wars minimates. Marvel is doing good, TNBC will most probably do good, why not let DST take a crack at SW mates? As Chuck says, never say never. I mean, EA rejected ME mates. Kirkman rejected WD mates but upon seeing the MAXimum Zombies line he was impressed. Maybe Disney finally saw the potential.

Anyway, back on topic, this is Jack we're talking about. He'll most definitely be in the future waves. This is probably just an early taste that a select few will be able to acquire earlier. I'd like to have my Jack in October, instead of December, Spring, or whenever they decide to put out the first wave, but I can wait. If someone happens open a stash of Jacks and wants to get rid off of one though....whistling.gif

ehhh no big deal about the Comicfest Jack. It's Jack, he'll be made multiple times and the facial expression isn't very good.

Wish they had used arm pieces for Jack's legs to give him a more slender look. Of course I can just buy another and mod it myself. biggrin.png

How is it any different than starting the Turtles line with giveaways at SDCC?

Free convention giveaways are a tradition with DST and are to be expected, this is closer to the Battle Beast Stealth Vorin comic incentive....and we all know how THAT turned out.

If Luke wanted to try and get some of these, he would have to order multiples of something he doesn't normally order, and even then he *might* only get one item. Meanwhile, large comic retailers who most likely don't currently sell Minimates will be getting multiples and just turning around and selling them on Ebay. When the time comes to carry NBX Minimates, do you think they will be on-board and supporting the brand just because they got a freebie 8-12 months ago? :no:

Edited by youbastards

Any retailer that buys quantities of 25(?) Battle Beast comics, gets 1 Stealth Vorin for every 25(?) copies ordered.

Only retailers specifically participating in Halloween ComicFest will get 1 Jack Skellington, and only those that order a lot of Halloween ComicFest comics *might* get more than 1.

So long-time retailers like BBTS, AFX, and Luke's Toy Store that have supported the Minimates brand (and the customers that support THOSE retailers for doing just that) are automatically excluded from this offer because they don't sell comics. Meanwhile, places like Midtown Comics, who don't order large quantities of Minimates, will be getting multiples of Jack Skellington...but when the NBX Minimates are solicited, will they be the retailers ordering them in large quantities? Nope.

Decisions like this just enforce the idea of "Minimates are the line that just won't die, despite the best efforts of DST".

It's practically guaranteed that a substantially similar figure will show up in whatever format DST ends up offering these in. If you're intent on having everything I guess it matters but to the casual fans they're trying to attract and even most collectors I just don't see how it's something to get upset about.

But just how is offering this figure in this manner going to attract new customers? All prior ComicFest exclusives have been available to order in any quantity by any Diamond retailer, why choose to specifically limit exposure of the main character of a new license to new customers in this manner? What is this accomplishing? Are we to believe that these retailers are going to order these just because they received a "free" Minimate? Are they supposed to put it on display in the store to show potential customers what the upcoming product will look like?

Zach has been teasing us for months about the new license single pack figure that would be "solicited in Previews" for Halloween ComicFest...apparently he didn't have all the details?

I do have a small amount of hope that the wording of that slide is slightly misleading, and that this product will be available to all retailers to order but will also be offered free as an incentive to those retailers supporting the event.

Edited by youbastards

It's a sneak preview figure. It was requested by Diamond to encourage participation in ComicFest. Promoting the line with retailers who may or may not already carry Minimates is secondary. 3000 is a lot of figures, and the number of completists who will have trouble getting one and will therefore shun the line is small and hypothetical compared to the potential audience.

Stealth Vorin was similar in offering, but different in scope and purpose. It was a successful promotion, in that it got more Battle Beasts comics in retailer hands, and therefore (presumably) customer hands.

Apologies if I gave any incorrect info.

Well, as you can all guess, I'm pretty darn excited by this news. I remember talking with Chuck in New York a few years ago, and he casually dropped that they had designed these once upon a time for Disney, but then Disney decided that they didn't want to do NBC merch anymore, and my knees buckled. It's one of my favorite movies and a Top 5 most wanted dream properties. So, for those of you that aren't all that excited, just be happy for ol' Hellpop. This... THIS makes up for View Askew. happy.png

Anyway, assuming we are getting one box set, I'd think it will be:

Jack

Sally

Oggie Boogie

Santa

With a little Zero pack-in. If we are lucky enough to get a second set, I'd hope for:

Jack as Santa

The Mayor

Dr. Finkelstein

The last spot is a tossup. Obviously, you'd most like Lock, Shock and Barrel, but I wouldn't want one and not the others. And I don't know if I'd want them as little unarticulated Minis (please refer to the Guardians of the Galaxy thread). But I could live with them, I guess. I don't know who else would make sense in the set, though. The werewolf guy? The one with the hatchet in his head? The witch? Look, there's another box set right there?

Aw yeah Nightmare Before Christmas! buttrock.gif

I too, am excited for this... Jack and sally were two of my first minimate customs. I'd love to see a better picture of the Jack if its possible. I sure hope I can get my hands on this one.

I did these in 2005 if i recall correctly, and would hope that they'd turn out better if i tried them again, especially sally (only did the decals for the front of her. there were very few parts to choose from in those days, and i didn't really sculpt anything. I'm surprised and very happy DST went with a sculpted bowtie, and tails.

post-21-0-15763200-1406559026_thumb.png