UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2014 pics

Ronan and Iron Man WILL be fit into another wave (TRU 19?). You WILL get him. The figure IS designed and has an early painted prototype.

You write "will" but storm recorded it (and thanks for doing so) as "try" which sounds much more like a Chuck response. I have no doubt DST will try to get Ronan out since they have a design done but there's a huge difference between being officially announced in a set and having a vague commitment that they'd like to do something.

Edited by stack32

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooof. Not the panel news I was expecting.

Zach warned us about possibly nothing on 60/19 but I'm still surprised neither was shown.

Still bummed about Ronan and I can't believe this year we are going 7-8 months without a new Marvel comic character and we finally get one it's Thane. sick.gif

Still nothing on the 1st wave Aliens 2-packs? What's the hold up? Is it just too much product at the end of the year? They won't be out until 2015 at this rate.

Not much news

Just thought I'd do some checking with my order history over at Lukes and this time last year I had ordered & received 8 new minimate products (not including sale stuff)

this year its just 3 products (not including sale stuff)

Not because of lack of funds but lack of product (that interests me anyway) & I've pretty much got everything since the beginning

Same feeling here. Very eager for clarification on the "will" vs "try" debate for Ronan. Still in shock that he didn't make it, thought he was a slam dunk.

Marvel is my main interest and we'd already seen most of what was shown before. Other stuff looks cool but not much that I'll chase. Pathfinder might pique my curiosity and I've commited to the Kill Bill sets but that's it. I'll be skipping most of the other properties.

Yeah... no Marvel Minimate news at COMIC con. Pretty slack. There was a time i couldn't keep up with minimates releases, i haven't bought any in months. Minimate news has been the highlight on the cons for me. i'm super disappointed. They don't seem to even be thinking of Marvel stuff anymore. Looks like they might be winding down the line. Maybe the license renewal is coming up and they want out.

On the will vs try. Might not want to quote me as I'm running on little sleep. But look at DSTs history. They usually won't waste a great design and most likely will be made. Just maybe need to figure out how to slip him in somewhere.

Talking with Zach, seems like 60/19 are still being planned. I think sometime 2015?

Minimates are diversifying a lot. Marvel may not seem like the focus due to output this year but there doesn't sound like there is any danger after talking with Chuck. Just lots of other great and different lines that try to expand the minimate fan base..

I agree, Marvel isn't going away any time soon. This year was just a more movie focused year because of factors outside of DST's control.

One other thing to note:

Chuck mentioned something along the lines of "Kevin (Smith) approaching them about Comic Book Men Minimates." I'm not sure if he made it up as an example to answer the question about "people approaching them vs them approaching others" or if there is more to it. I'll ask at the booth today.

Also I too am running on little sleep. Don't quote me on "Will" either. I'll check that too.

Edited by CBMM1

I was also hoping to hear more marvel comics news but I also was hoping to hear about the plans Scot a 3rd godzilla set. Plus the proto for ghidorah isn't in the display case with the other new ones arghhhh.

What a frustrating lack of new news.

So, still no sign of a Squirrel Girl Minimate?

DST, you're just not even trying to win me back, are you? I thought this whole 'giving up Minimates' charade would be enough to force you to finally make SG to win me back, but I guess our relationship must not have meant as much to you as it did to me. I think this just seals it for me and I guess I'm reduced to finding a Squirrel Girl Heroclix.

Aw, Squirrel Girl... wub.png

Edited by groundhog7s

Thanks for the rundown Storm. I told myself last month when I started collecting minimates again that I was only going to get marvel, DC, and Walking Dead. Soon after I added Alien/Aliens to my list. Now I have added Kill Bill, Ninja Turtles, GFT, and more to my list of must haves. I think the future is looking bright for minimates. Would I like to see more Marvel minimates announced? You bet your sweet ass I would. I'm not going to complain though. If they are releasing some newly licensed minimates that I don't want then I just won't get them. No need in bitching that they are expanding out more though. Enjoy what we are getting guys!

Random thoughts:

Best Of Series 3, Power Man/Iron Fist has lots of parts to recreate classic and modern looks.
- That might be the single most exciting news to come out of the show for me.
Infinity Fan Poll Results: Thanos, Thane, Captain America, Hulk
- This is probably the only way Thane would ever get offered so I'm fine with it. With as popular as the remaining two are (which I'm convinced got more votes), I'm sure they'll get offered elsewhere.
Anime is very stylized, hard to get right in Minimate form. Hard to work with in the past.
- Not that I'm an anime nut but if they think they can pull off Nightmare Before Christmas, anime shouldn't be a problem.
You won’t be able to tell what it is since there are no numbers for different figures or anything. Chuck even considered a double bag to prevent easy feeling. Finding the translucent one will be hard. Same sculpt for translucent figure so you shouldn’t be able to tell which is which. Maybe the different plastic will have different feeling? Chuck asks you to “molest it”. No one at DST has tested if the different plastic feels different in the bag yet.
- Irrelevant since I fully expect to find more than a few emptied bags at retail.
Larger scale? No, Chuck hates micro scale too. Likes one size fits all like Marvel Minimates Series 1.
- I'm sure one size makes life easier at DST. Still can't help thinking that more than one could help sales.
Target said they are a trend follower.
- Having worked with several different Target buyers over the last 20 years, they're a tough crowd. Most don't last a year in the same position so that is a blessing and a curse.
Zach thought he heard “Drag Queens” being said instead. And thinks that RuPaul’s Drag Race would be a good idea.
- It certainly fits in with the interchangeable play pattern of the brand.
Battle Beasts Series 2? IDW comic was okay but not great. Trying to find another publisher to do the comic. But wants something to drive the it. Would do the comic and lose money but have toys to drive it. Currently, not getting enough traction. Not dead, but maybe on life support?
- Try Legendary, just make the beasts much, much bigger.
Power Loader for Aliens? Possible for vehicles.
- Many things are possible for vehicles. I'm wondering how high sales have to be before Chuck green-lights the SKUs.

Random thoughts:

Best Of Series 3, Power Man/Iron Fist has lots of parts to recreate classic and modern looks.

Can somebody confirm/clarify this? I was under the impression that we could create alternate modern looks, but not alternate classic looks. Were there new parts shown that we haven't seen yet?

i really doubt that they are winding down the line... i just think that in a year where DST is getting an opportunity to show off there newer licenses (Kill Bill, Sin City, Aliens, Mass Effect, TMNT, etc....), there hasn't been as much time or space dedicated to new Marvel product. They are still showing some of there upcoming Marvel lines, we've just already seen most of them.

Random thoughts:

Can somebody confirm/clarify this? I was under the impression that we could create alternate modern looks, but not alternate classic looks. Were there new parts shown that we haven't seen yet?

Yeah, I'd like to know that too. I was excited about these sets to begin with, but I'd really love it if you could make their classic looks too!

There were lots of new Minimates on display, guys:

Godzilla 2

Grimm Fairy Tales

Mass Effect

Kill Bill 4

Sin City 3

Pulp Fiction 2

Marvel Infinity Box Set (shown at panel)

And on sale/giveaway:

Bluntman/Chronic - Entertainment Earth booth

Grimm Fairy tales - Zenescope booth

TMNT Mikey - Nickelodeon booth

TMNT Leo, DOFP set, TWD set - DST booth

Comic WOW! - DST booth and elsewhere

This was a pretty great show for Minimates, I thought, but sorry the 60/19 lineup was not approved in time. I believe IM/Ronan are a lock, but we'll see. Marvel is not going anywhere, we have big plans for 2015.

And there were three upcoming assortments of Marvel on display, four if you count GOTG (out at TRU only). It's just luck of the draw that they were all shown earlier, and that three were solicited in the same month. It was all so we could get them out and into your hands sooner, otherwise we would have spaced them out more. With specialty, we need to show them earlier to ship them earlier.

How was the Con from your perspective, Zach?

We've heard from the attendees, but it'd be interesting to get an exhibitors view.

Was there a good amount of buzz and feedback about the stuff that DST are doing? Good panel attendance / media coverage, etc... ?

Edited by Nessex

Lots of positive comments on the Godzilla, Pulp Fiction and Aliens Minimates, lots of people asking about the Bluntman set, our exclusives sold well, regular store Minimates sold VERY well. Marvel and Walking Dead especially, but we had some good Best Of Marvel 1 sets, and some older TRU TWD sets. ASM2 and Cap 2 sold very fast, as well.

Good mix of people coming to the booth specifically to Build A Minimate, and those trying it for the first time. Marvel poster always moves fast, the others a little slower. Jason Mewes came by to sign some of the Jay & Bob posters, which got people excited. I'm sending some of each along to Shane.

Panel was a little light, possibly due to other events happening midday on Saturday, but it's hard to compare with last year, when we got a big influx of Adventure Time fans. Regardless, last year's NYCC panel was much better attended. The general DST panel got a few more, but last year was the first year, so we're still building an audience in a tough time slot on Sunday.

Media coverage, I need to see! Lots of guys came by, but I don't know how soon they post our booth. We are not as big a hit-generator as some other companies.

Zach, can you give me a little clarification on what "classic" parts are going to be coming with that Power Man/Iron Fist? Are there parts we haven't yet seen on display with these figures?

Simply put, can they be made to look exactly like this:

image_zps960822a6.jpg

Edited by Mystery Man

As I said earlier in this thread, you would have had at least two new licenses to announce that were spoiled right before the Con began. And there's the mystery Halloween license, which was confirmed over the weekend (banana.gif ), though you guys didn't have anything about it.

I think it's clear that you've been able to diversify the brand much more; whereas in past years I felt that if Marvel decided that was enough, Minimates might not survive, I don't feel that way right now. Actually, I think no new Walking Dead is a bigger question mark. Is there still a wave in the pipeline? I don't collect it, so I'm not up on the ins and outs, but it's a brand that seems to have lost steam fast.

Walking Dead Wave 6 has been solicited for specialty and the TRU Wave 6 was shown at C2E2. Chuck mentioned in one of the recent Q&A's that Wave 7 wouldn't be planned until next year. Maybe DST is just slowing down planning on these to draw the life of the line out a little longer? If you count TRU and Specialty, we did get 10 Walking Dead waves in less than 2 years!