UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

2014 Minimates "State of the Union"

Not to completely derail the argument but in response to what Politician said about GqmeStop. As an employee there pre-orders are pushed because corporate jams them down our throats. A lot of our weekly numbers come from how many pre-orders and trades we have, which then determine how many hours. We don't get commission so they judge us based on an arbitrary 5 or more dollars. Dumb? Yes. But that's most retail for you.

As for the other stuff the new lines I love the idea of Mass Effect minimizes but blind bags are ehhhhh. I guess they have a feel to them you'd be able to tell, but I'm excited my work life and my collecting life are coming together. Not that I needed an excuse to spend more at work. Some new lines like BBT don't interest me in the slightest but I can always just ignore them. In all things are looking up from the nog so great 2013 season.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been staying out of this thread, but I hope people are feeling differently now that more product has made it out there. Regardless of how Gamestop offers them, we're happy to have product there; ditto Sears and KMart. It's good for us all that Minimates are appearing in more outlets, and blind bags are part of the reason that's happening. Hopefully they're going to bring in new customers without inconveniencing old ones.

As to the rest of it, it seems to be mostly a matter of personal preference. The Marvel movies have been particularly well received this year, and I think it was worth temporarily scaling back on 616 to accommodate those assortments. Mass Effect, TMNT, Clerks, Aliens, Zenescope... Even if they're not your cup of tea, all have their own fan bases, some quite sizable, and calling any of them cheap ignores their comparative value in reaching new and different audiences.

The blind-bagged thing is funny for me.

I'm very interested in acquiring TMNT 'mates but the blind bags are such a turn off, I'll wait for the 2-packs to eventually come out.

I had zero interest in Mass Effect (actually had to look it up) but when I saw the Minimates designs, I decided I'd casually check my local GameStop from time to time despite my hatred of the packaging gimmick.

It's great that Minimates are getting more exposure. Unless quality control takes a significant nosedive, I don't see a downside to this. I just hope that DST is prepared to expand its workforce when demand for this plastic crack exceeds all expectations. (How's that for optimism?)

• 1 month later...

Now that we've seen firsthand most of the new licenses announced this year, I have to say 2014 has turned out to be one of the most fun and gratifying years I can remember for Minimate collecting. Marvel has... well... done its thing, continuing to plug along, but on an obviously shifting trajectory towards movies. But the other stuff – TMNT, Godzilla, Pathfinder, Mass Effect, the Tarantino movies – in just the last month or two, we've seen some really amazing stuff in my opinion.

TMNT and Godzilla have introduced new levels of add-ons and sculpted parts, pushing the boundaries of the format right to the limit without breaking it, and produced some irresistible figures. On the flip side, Pathfinder and Tarantino have shown how smart part reuse and keeping it simple can also have wonderful results.

If I may break from the usual format of expressing gratitude for serious, heartfelt, consequential things this holiday, I'm thankful for the continually evolving, always exciting, and outstandingly fun guilty pleasure that is Minimate collecting. thumbsup.gif

Had to share this exchange:

"Hi, do you carry Minimates?"

"I think we have... Jango Fett?"

"They... uhh... don't make Star Wars Minimates..."

"Then we're talking about different Minimates."

Come on, comic shops. Get your shit together.

Sounds like Mnemosis is the first member to find the new Star Wars Minimates! Bravo on Zach keeping the secret as long as he did.