UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Comics Minimates: A New Hope?

It appears that my good friend Rupert Murdoch really, really wants to buy Time Warner.

Rupert already owns 21st Century Fox, home of Fox Broadcasting and 20th Century Fox Studios. Time Warner is home to Warner Bros. Studios and DC Entertainment. Combining the two media giants would have some pretty significant implications, not the least of which would be Fox taking over WB's licensing and giving DST another shot at offering DC Minimates.

Sure, we could see a Green Lantern vs. Aliens movie. We could get Archer to crossover with Scooby-Doo. But the big deal would be the renewed potential for DC Minimates and that specualtion alone seems to be driving Fox's stock price up by 15%.

Fingers crossed.

That's exactly why Fox would sell off CNN to Disney; no mention of Minimates.

Sears and Kmart are already banking on the Minimates brand driving business back to their stores. Clearly Fox is aware of the property's power and is tapping into it with their Alien franchise. Apparently they're so optimistic, they're offering billions for Time Warner so they can make DC Minimates happen again.

• 2 weeks later...

So maybe this nothing and just wishful thinking, but..... Mezco didn't show any DC Mez-Itz (old or new) at SDCC.

So is there an opening now for DST? Is the license available or will it be shortly? Get on DST!!

This year has been great for minimates. Bioware turned down ME mates and here we are. Disney turned down TNBC mates and yet, here we are. DC has also changed its course completely and is making some smarter choices. Honestly, I wouldn't rule it out. Maybe some day. I mean, why not? Everything DC has tried on the minifigure format has failed, so why not go back to the best? I don't think that the Lego sets prevent them from striking another deal anyway.

Isn't Mezco still offering those DC Strap-Ons or whatever they're called? The mini-figures that attach to computer cords and such?

But yeah, it was my understanding that Mezco was the only thing standing in the way of allowing DC to give DST the license. That and a willingness to do so. But since DST is already offering Batman '66 product… highfive.gif

Isn't Mezco still offering those DC Strap-Ons or whatever they're called? The mini-figures that attach to computer cords and such?

But yeah, it was my understanding that Mezco was the only thing standing in the way of allowing DC to give DST the license. That and a willingness to do so. But since DST is already offering Batman '66 product… highfive.gif

You mean the "Scalers" ? That's a NECA product and it covers various licenses, not just DC.

Mezco certainly hasn't dropped the DC license. Those 1:12 scale Batman figures look great. Hopefully they'll drop the block figure category allowing DST to pick it up but given that they've got Batman '66 product due out in October, it might be a while.

Yeah, those do look great. I was really looking forward to that Dreed fig though, I'm sad that they didn't have it ready yet. But they had no Mez-Itz to show, so it's pretty certain that they have dropped the block figure category.

Two things are happening that are making DC Minimates much closer to a reality (again):

1) Fox may be stockpiling cash for another takeover bid.

2) A filmmaker is suing WB over the copyright to the song "Happy Birthday." If WB loses, it could cost them hundreds of millions of dollars, devaluing stock, and making Murdoch's takeover bid that much easier.

That and I'm thinking about starting a prayer group.