UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Can someone fill me in on the Spiderman comics?

I used to collect them, but stopped in the mid 90's, probably just before the clone saga stuff. I recently got a ton of Spiderman comics in digital format, so I will start reading them at some point. I just read Spiderman Noir and liked it and started on the Scarlet Spiderman series, which after reading the first issue makes me think I should hold off on that one and read in chronological order. So this is what I know, remember from the past:

1) There was talk that Ben Reilley was the real Peter Parker, what happened with that?

2) From what I read in Scarlet Spiderman #1, Ben Reilley is now Dead. How did he die, and is he still dead?

3) Kaine is the new Scarlet Spiderman, why do his powers vary so much from Peter's powers since he is a clone of Peter?

4) I remember there was a reboot of the Spiderman series I think it was called One More Day which changed the Spiderman history when Peter made a deal with Mesphisto. I know this pissed off a lot of people. Is this new history still in effect?

5) After Spiderman's identity was revealed during the Civil War event it was then removed due to the One More Day story, so once again his identity is a secret.

6) Is Gwen dead or not? (the real Gwen, not some stupid clone).

7) Doc Ock took over Peter's body and is now running around as Spidey in the Superior Spiderman comics (and I'm sure whatever other Spidey comics at the moment). Is this the current storyline, or is Peter back in control? Also, how did Doc Ock take over Peter's body, and why is he deciding to be a good guy after all the bad he has done?

8) Is there currently more than one Venom in the Marvel Universe right now? I know Gargan was Venom for a while.

9) What has become of Demogoblin and the Six Armed Demo-Spidey?

You'd be best off reading wikipedia or something and finding a chronological order. Filling in the blanks on 25 years of stories is problematic.

I can probably answer most of your questions, but only if you're sure, as it will spoil your reading enjoyment.

PS. I hope theyre legit digital comics!

Oh Boy...Here We Go.

So, one thing to point out is that there are currently two Spider-Man timelines.

1. The timeline of everything leading up to ONE MORE DAY.

2. The post-ONE MORE DAY timeline in which everything from right before the marriage of Peter and MJ is changed. *This timeline is currenty the DEFAULT one*

After ONE MORE DAY, the history of Spider-Man changed. Some things were small, changes in villains, characters, etc. Some were more drastic like the revival of Harry Osborn. I will answer your questions and provide 2 answers if one more day affected things.

1) There was talk that Ben Reilley was the real Peter Parker, what happened with that?

Ben Reilly was never the real Peter Parker. In the old continuity, Ben took over as Spider-Man for Peter to allow him to spend more time at home with MJ. Peter eventually returned, and Ben was killed. His body crumbled to dust, revealing him to be the true clone.

It is unknown what effect ONE MORE DAY had on the Peter/Ben relationship. It is assumed that it played out much the same.

2) From what I read in Scarlet Spiderman #1, Ben Reilley is now Dead. How did he die, and is he still dead?

Norman Osborn returned to the mantle of the Green Goblin. Ben and Peter fought him. Goblin commanded his glider to attack Peter. Ben shoved Peter out of the way to save him and took a fatal hit by the glider. His body crumbled to dust and he remains dead today.

It is unknown what effect ONE MORE DAY had on Ben's death. It is assumed that it played out much the same.

3) Kaine is the new Scarlet Spiderman, why do his powers vary so much from Peter's powers since he is a clone of Peter?

Kaine was a failed clone. As a result, he developed different powers. He's kinda the bastard child of the clones.

4) I remember there was a reboot of the Spiderman series I think it was called One More Day which changed the Spiderman history when Peter made a deal with Mesphisto. I know this pissed off a lot of people. Is this new history still in effect?

Yes the new history is still in effect..Unfortunately down.gif The problem with this is that it made HUGE changes to about 25 years of the MARVEL Universe, and about 0.01% of those have been explained. It's best to just enjoy the stories and ignore continuity at this point.

5) After Spiderman's identity was revealed during the Civil War event it was then removed due to the One More Day story, so once again his identity is a secret.

Yes, Peter's identity is still a secret to the public. Some people like MJ, Harry, some Avengers etc. know.

6) Is Gwen dead or not? (the real Gwen, not some stupid clone).

Yes, Gwen is definitely dead.

7) Doc Ock took over Peter's body and is now running around as Spidey in the Superior Spiderman comics (and I'm sure whatever other Spidey comics at the moment). Is this the current storyline, or is Peter back in control? Also, how did Doc Ock take over Peter's body, and why is he deciding to be a good guy after all the bad he has done?

Superior Spider-Man was one of the best Spidey stories in a long time. I suggest you buy a TPB and read it. If you want a brief answer to your question, click the spoiler tab.

Doc Ock was on the verge of death. In a last ditch effort, he programmed an Octo-Bot to zap Peter and switch their consciousnesses. Peter was killed in battle while in Doc Ock's frail body. At the last moment, he show Ock all of his memories, explaining why he chooses to be a hero. Ock is overcome with emotion, wrack with guilt for all the trouble he has caused over the years. He vows to carry out the memory of Spider-Man by being a better Spider-Man than Peter ever was. Unfortunately, Ock is still pompous and arrogant. He is not a true Spider-Man. A fragment of Peter's memory fights back and retake control of his body. How he does it, I won't tell you. It's something that you have to experience yourself. Truly touching,

8) Is there currently more than one Venom in the Marvel Universe right now? I know Gargan was Venom for a while.

Currently, I believe Flash Thompson is in control of the symbiote. He is called Agent Venom.

9) What has become of Demogoblin and the Six Armed Demo-Spidey?

Demogoblin is long dead. Doppelganger was killed and revived several times. I believe he is still alive, but hasn't appeared lately.

I hope this helps. smile.png Slott's new ASM run is pretty good. It's also a great jumping on point.

Edited by CBMM1

Thanks for the update! I pretty much only kept up with the Avengers and X-men related comics until after Secret Invasion. Then I stopped collecting everything. I just got the first few issues of Superior Spiderman from a co-worker to start reading. He said it was really good so I'm going to check the series out. I think he has the new ASM series too. I will have to borrow them after I finish reading Superior Spiderman. I have been working with him for two years and never knew he was a big fan of comics. I should give him a minimate or two to show my appreciation for him borrowing me his comics. I bet I could get him addicted to them!

Oh Boy...Here We Go.

Currently, I believe Flash Thompson is in control of the symbiote. He is called Agent Venom.

[/size]

Since you also missed a lot of MMMV continuity, let me point out that "Flash Thompson Venom's" real name is "Lee Burns Venom".

To keep up on this part of the MMMV storyline, I suggest reading these posts:

"to go full Lee Burns on something"

Disney finally shut up Lee Burns!

Lee Burns? I don't get it.

Would the real Lee Burns please stand up?

biggrin.png

CBMM1 said it, and, Crippler, I know you said you've got some issues, but you really have to read Superior Spider-Man. I thought that was an amazingly spectacular run. SpOck is easily one of my favorite spins on Spidey.

It takes a couple issues for they series to find it's footing, but ones it does it's a nonstop thrill ride up until the last issue. There are some hilarious moments and some tragic moments. The best part is that it actually changes the world and the big picture of the cities view on Spidey.

Another book that I suggest reading after you finish Superior is The Superior Foe of Spider-Man. It is the most fun I've ever had with a comic. It focuses on the D-list villains that Spidey has faced: Beetle, Speed Demon, Boomerang, Overdrive, Shocker, and the Living Brain. It's very funny and well written. Issue 13 came out last week so it should be easy for you to catch up on.