UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Mass Effect Minimates

Figured this deserves its own topic now since it is confirmed:

This is not the Halloween Comicfest launch line. Single packs at Gamestop. Exclusive to start, at least, not sure about long-term. Good find, though!

And the Gamestop link: http://www.gamestop.com/collectibles/toys/mass-effect-minimates-series-1/114704

Edited by stack32

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least it's single packs and not blind bagged. I didn't really feel like standing around in my local Gamestops feeling bags. I can just grab and go.

I think that this is a smart business move though and will attract new buyers to the Minimate brand. I hope these to well enough to expand.

I'm not very familiar with Mass Effect, but it's cool that minimates will be showing up in GameStop. I love seeing the minimate brand expand and I love sci-fi epics, but I hate that it is blind bags. As much as I want this to succeed, I won't be participating.

Lots of questions.

- Was blind bagging the only way Gamestop would take these?

- Are these based on any specific game? The entire triology or something new?

- I avoid blind bags because it's the devil but aren't $5 single packs steep for an untested method of distribution?

- If the line does well, have there been talks about other lines getting the blind bag treatment? (Battle Beasts, Star Trek, Invincible, Tomb Raider, or other lines that we just don't see anymore)

Can people share images of designs they would like to see? I want to get a feel for what to expect.

There's a ton of potential characters to choose from, but the male version of Shepard (the hero) and Garrus (Shepard's main ally) would be high on the list:

masseffect3_zps322a1b1f.png mass_effect_3___garrus_zpsdfaa2b6a.png

Lots of questions.

- Was blind bagging the only way Gamestop would take these?

- Are these based on any specific game? The entire triology or something new?

- I avoid blind bags because it's the devil but aren't $5 single packs steep for an untested method of distribution?

- If the line does well, have there been talks about other lines getting the blind bag treatment? (Battle Beasts, Star Trek, Invincible, Tomb Raider, or other lines that we just don't see anymore)

Blind bags have been in the works for a little while. The Turtles will be blind bagged. Basically, this is what the retailers wanted; while it's untested for Minimates, it certainly isn't for minifigs in general.

Dang. I was expecting normal series and waves at tru and LCSs. A tad disappointed, but excited nonetheless. Problem is, that from my knowledge GameStop doesn't ship worldwide, so I'll have to buy my cases from EBay. Oh boy, that's going to be hard.

The problem with Blind Bags is that there are no guarantees. Initially, I was going to give the line my full support and buy at least a case from each wave. I'll try to do the same now as well, but if I end up with less army builders than Shepards, it's going to be a long journey.

Still, it's a video game property that I greatly love so I'll do my best to support it. There is just so much lore in it, that it could go on for years and years and years and..... I just don't want it to end early like Halo.

Zach, are we going to learn more about these at SDCC? The case breakdown, the number of different figs, etc... Also, if these do well, is there any chance of us getting normal waves and such? I myself will buy these no matter what, but if down the line we get LCS series I would will be relieved a bit. Some vehicles would be good as well.

This thread is aready such a magical place of wonderment!

Politician (hellpop gets it, and gave good answers, but I assume the questions were targeted at me):

- I do not know if blind bags is the "only way" they would take them, but I understand that many specialty retailers HAVE asked for blind bagged Minimates, so I assume GameStop was no different. I personally don't see why a retailer would NOT want a lower price-point impulse item, especially when it is not their main business (games).

- I believe they are based on the overall trilogy.

- $4.99 is actually a great price. Traditionally, single boxed figures have been $5.99, and Ninja Turtles blind bags will be $5.99. SRP on a two-pack has been $9.99 since shortly after I came on board three years ago, so $4.99 per figure is what it would cost if you paid SRP for a two-pack at specialty. And blind bags are not an untested method of distribution, especially not with Minimates-style figures.

- Aside from Ninja Turtles, I am not aware of any other lines that are headed for this route AT THIS TIME. While switching an existing line to blind bags might discourage existing collectors of that line, launching new lines in this format is a way to target new collectors in new outlets, which can only be good for Minimates overall.

Zexion:

- Are you disappointed that a line you want to collect is blind bagged, or that it is not a line you want to collect, or that it will not be at your store? Honestly curious, I just don't get how anybody can be disappointed so soon after the announcement of a new line nobody knew was coming. (To reiterate, this is not the new line I have been saying would premiere at comic shops for Halloween Comicfest.)

YouBastards:

- I do not know case size yet, but I would assume it will be the same as Turtles, 18, since we have designed that box size. And there will be a full set of 8 in every case, although I do not know what the exact breakdown will be.

Kostis:

- Halo ended early? True, we stopped shy of Halo 4, and we never got to make the tank, but we made a LOT of Halo Minimates.

- I do not know if the line will stay exclusive for a while, expand soon after, or expand eventually, but hopefully these will not be in short supply regardless. Gamestop is giving the line a lot of support, and I did not realize they had 6500 locations on three continents, including Europe -- I will try to find out if they will be international.

- I don't know if we'll be displaying them at SDCC, but I'll see if I can reveal the line-up at the panel. There are no army-builders in the first assortment.

And I know it's been a roller-coaster ride of emotions over these past 6-7 hours, but nobody's seen anything yet, and already people are disappointed and "changing plans" to support the line. You all know that we have some excellent designers, so at least wait to see the Minimates before you write them off.

Edited by DSTZach

Kostis:

- Halo ended early? True, we stopped shy of Halo 4, and we never got to make the tank, but we made a LOT of Halo Minimates.

- I do not know if the line will stay exclusive for a while, expand soon after, or expand eventually, but hopefully these will not be in short supply regardless. Gamestop is giving the line a lot of support, and I did not realize they had 6500 locations on three continents, including Europe -- I will try to find out if they will be international.

- I don't know if we'll be displaying them at SDCC, but I'll see if I can reveal the line-up at the panel. There are no army-builders in the first assortment.

And I know it's been a roller-coaster ride of emotions over these past 6-7 hours, but nobody's seen anything yet, and already people are disappointed and "changing plans" to support the line. You all know that we have some excellent designers, so at least wait to see the Minimates before you write them off.

-I guess you're right. 5 series plus vehicles,a dump and box sets are quite a lot. Maybe it's because that I still haven't completed my collection (i'm missing a couple of stuff and haven't started army building yet) so whenever I look at them I don't see too many "different" figures (with many being repaints and all). Nevertheless, Halo was and still is my second favorite minimate line (after Marvel of course)and DST did a great job on it, even though i'd have loved some mates based on the two new trilogies that are coming.

-I've seen some GameStop stuff at a video game store here but they haven't brough anything new in ages. It's great that GS has a lot of faith in this, i'd hate for it to end early.

-No army builders huh? Makes sense for the first series. An army-dump would be quite great down the road though. Some Krogans, Turians, Cerberus Soldiers, the Geth. There truly are tons of army builders in this franchise.

Overall, I'm liking what I'm hearing. Personally, you had me at 'Mass Effect Minimates' and even though Blind Bagging poses a problem for me, I'll do my best to support the line. One way that you'll be able to get many Shepards in there (aside from battle damaged variants, versions from the three games, etc) is the various different armors that can be found throught the game.

I haven't played the games in ages (i'm searching for the trilogy pack) so i can't wishlist yet, but this is one of my favorite properties ever so to say that I'm just excited would be an understatement.

EDIT: GameStop ships Internationally, just not at Greece. Well, Ebay it is for me it seems.

Edited by Kostisfire

I know nothing about this game but like that theres a gamestop on my walk to work.

Can people share images of designs they would like to see? I want to get a feel for what to expect.

I tried posting individual photos for each character but it wouldn't let me use "this image extension on this board", so here you go, a group shot (one with FemShep and one with MaleShep):

mass_effect__female_shepard__by_thejtizz

Mass-Effect-Male-Shepard-HD-1024x1280.jp

Edited by Kostisfire

Well now I am a bit disappointed. I really liked the idea of these being easy purchases. With that being said, I still support this line and DST's decision 100%. I understand the attractiveness of blind bags and I actually really like the concept. My beef is not with the blind bags, but where I am buying them.

At the TRU's in my area, the employees have come to grasp the sheer market power of blind bags given the popularity of the LEGO figures. Whenever I do pick up LEGO blind bags, I know which ones I want. At this point the employees will stand at the counter with you and feel out the figures. They're pros at it! It's such a casual, no stress situation.

I just can't see the Gamestop employees being that accommodating. As I've stated, most of the workers at the stores in my area are terrible. You can tell that they just don't like they're jobs.

Some examples include:

-Sighing whenever you ask for something that requires them to move.

-Rolling their eyes at questions

-General lack of videogame knowledge

-Treating customers like 3-year olds that don't understand them

Here's the way I see this Minimate line going down at my stores:

1. I enter the store.

2. I approach the counter.

3. There are no Minimates.

4. I am ignored.

5. I asked politely, "Did you get any Mass Effect Minimates in?"

6. To which the employee responds, "Mini-mates?"

7. Me, "Yeah. They're little figures package in bags. There's about 18in a box. They're Mass Effect themed."

8. Yells to other worker, "Hey did we get any Mini-mites in?!"

9. Other employee, "Mini-mites?"

10. Me to employee 1, "It's Minimates."

11. Employee, "Yeah whatever. We don't have them."

12. I turn to walk out and see the box sitting behind the counter.

13 "There they are"-Me

14. "Oh these things? Oh...yeah."

15. "I'll take the box."-Me

16. "2 per customer."

AAGGHH!

Anyway. I'll find a way to get these. I want this line and DST to succeed so I'll do whatever I can to contribute.

Edited by CBMM1

I don't frequent GameStop, don't play video games, and despise blind bags so I'm not in the target demographic anyway.

That said, I never played the games but I collected Halo and Tomb Raider Minimates because I could see what I was buying.

Best of luck on this line.

Thanks, Mister PL! Best of luck to you!

Zach, any chance Game Stop will carry Tomb Raider? Werent there figures shown for Tomb Raider that were never produced?

We have not found a home for them, but I do not think we have given up on them. I'm sure we've mentioned the possibility to Gamestop.

And CBMM, sorry to hear about your bad experience. I used to frequent one in my mall, and the employees were fairly nice, but then I was mostly buying toys and knew what I wanted and where it was.

are these going to be a new tooling or basically, Halo 2.0?

...Are you asking if we're re-using Halo tooling for this? Or suggesting that Halo re-used a lot of tooling? I guess the latter is true, but any re-use in Halo was for color variations, and it used Halo-specific parts -- I don't think we re-used any from other lines.

Fairly certain this line will be all (or mostly) new tooling. It's about 50-50 alien-human, and some of the aliens have new head sculpts. Some have more skintight uniforms and clothing that is not sculpted, of course, but many of the armor pieces are not ones we can take from elsewhere.