UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Lines that I can complete...Minimate lines. :)

Hello all.

I started collecting DC minimates a few years ago and shortly after realized they were no longer being made and was extremely disappointed at the financial lengths I had to go to in attempt to complete that collection. In addition to the, at least to me, ridiculous cost, I clearly have some sort of OCD type condition to where I cannot purchase one off toys or a few from a collection for myself. It takes away from the enjoyment of this hobby greatly but really it is what it is.

Currently I have a complete Thundercats collection that makes me very happy for lack of a more appropriate word as well as all retail and promo Battle Beasts which I love.

My question is, what other lines, or possibly even sub-sets such as various Marvel teams can I possibly complete as of now with what you would consider to be "average" financial means.

I'm open to other mini-figure lines as well and am very interested in Transformers Kreons. My son loves them and I am a huge Transformers fan.

I don't collect to collect, but don't hear about toylines either unless I see them at TRU so here's me asking.

Guide me oh wise ones!

I'm not sure what i can recommend that you collect, but i suggest staying away from Super Hero Squad. The line appears to be dying out AND i have spent some embarassing amounts trying to buy figures that never got an official release.

Out of curiosity, if they never got an official release I assume it is insiders selling them, correct? I always loved the SHS aesthetic and my son loved the cartoon, so it definitely crossed my mind when I first saw the toys. Good to know not to fall into that abyss.

Any chance of a picture of your collection? Either pm or in this thread, curious what they all look like together.

Please forgive the crappy phone pic - it's the only one i could find.

The Hepzibah & Warpath squadies were meant to be a part of an X-Force box set that was never released. I managed to find them for a slightly embarrassing price on eBay some time ago. Even some of the actual releases like Rogue & Storm routinely go for over $40 or $50 on ebay. Probably even more now.

post-2737-0-38755700-1403688614_thumb.jp

Nice pics Nessex !

I don't think you can look further than the Walking Dead line ......a lot of fun & they look great just about anywhere . There are a few rarities but nothing too hard to put you off.

A wildcard would be Plants & Zombies.........I detested the critters until I saw them in the flesh ,perhaps they'll not set the world alight but again....a lot of fun.

The Marvel line isn't beyond a completists reach IMHO ....difficult maybe but within everybody's grasp if you're patient.

Thats' actually a really old pic. i'll have to do an updated one as i've since acquired 90's Jean Grey, Rachel Grey, Stryfe, Bishop, Xavier, Polaris and Shadowcat amongst others.

I managed to keep to collecting just the x-characters in this format :D

Plenty of series starting up that will not be difficult to complete, especially from the start:

- Aliens will be have box sets, two-packs and singles at specialty, plus an assortment at TRU, I believe.

- Kill Bill is specialty four-packs only, four planned

- Pulp Fiction is one two-pack and a series of four-packs at specialty, one will be exclusively at Hastings.

- Pathfinder will get a four-pack, then some exclusives through Paizo themselves, possibly at Gen Con.

- Big Bang Theory will be two four-packs at Entertainment Earth.

- Jay & Silent Bob/Clerks has already had last year's SDCC two-pack, plus the one at specialty, but there are three four-packs coming up, plus another SDCC 2-pack and possibly a TRU four-pack, but waiting to hear final word.

Older lines, we made single sets for Invincible and Thief of Thieves that are worth getting.

Universal Monsters is probably not difficult to complete. Most of the five specialty four-packs are easy to get, ditto the 12 TRU 2-packs, and there's overlap, so you don't need to buy them all.

Ghostbusters would be ambitious, but Real Ghostbusters is smaller (three specialty four-packs and eight TRU 2-packs) and would go nicely with Thundercats.

If only there was some kind of database listing all Minimates and series that one could browse..,.biggrin.png

I think the only line that hasn't been mentioned that I would recommend is Tomb Raider: great figures and fairly easy to get right now.

The easiest way would definitely be to pick out some of the upcoming lines that DSTZach mentioned and get in from the start. You never know what's going to turn into the next Thundercats box set on the secondary market. It's much, much easier to pick it up at release for retail. Especially if you want doubles for customs or to pull off alternate looks.

-Marvel is possible, but as BHM said, you will need patience. The trick is to figure out just how completist you are/want to be. If it's just one of each figure in each outfit then it won't be too bad. If it's one of each outfit with each tiny variation, then it gets much more complicated. I started in on Marvel about a decade after it was released and went after every single different figure no matter how small the differences. That took some time. I made a roadmap using the IMDB, (Hail Ivan, Hail Ivan, Hail Ivan!), that plotted out how to buy the line by two packs with getting the least amount of doubles possible. I've since lost that thanks to a pos of it was on. But I highly suggest doing something like that as it can help keep things straight when buying so many figures.

-Ghostbusters was also a bigger process. Lots of exclusives and a ton of figures. But that's a really well rounded line that was fun to complete.

-Outside of a figure or two, HALO wasn't too hard to put together. Especially now if you can find the vehicle 3 packs for cheap at TRU. They take care of some of the figures from older waves and the vehicles are nice. HALO has a lot of overlap between box sets and older two packs so make sure to plot out your purchases and trades to get the least extras.

-I would also highly suggest DST's in-house Calico Jack Pirate Raiders line. It's small and relatively inexpensive on the secondary market. The figures are cool, (if you like pirates and all), and there are a few ships as well. Plus lots of quick customs can fill out the ranks.

Other than trying to get the promos or pre-production stuff, I would say that most of the lines are ok as far as your time and money are concerned. Marvel is going to cost more because of the size and popularity but as I said earlier, you can definitely cut down on a lot of that based on what you want out of the experience.

Just make sure to do a little bit of research before diving in. Track completed eBay sales and take a look around the trade and sales threads here to get an idea of what's available. Then you can get a rough idea of what you would be looking at cost and effort wise. And be sure to post anything that you have to trade or want to buy as well. There isn't a ton of movement on the trade scene here, but all it takes is one or two people deciding to take the time to work on a deal with you and you'll find yourself some pretty damn cool toys to add to your collection.

In regards to Super Hero Squad, I was able to pick up both Hepzibah and Warpath along with Professor X and a Spider-man for $55 shipped from China. Most of the rarer, hard to find figures are dropping in price. Wrecker was at one point another hard to find figure whose price has bottomed out. I think it would be a good line because it has ended so you'll know exactly what you're looking for. Then of course there are all the upcoming Minimates lines suggested that are coming out this year. It's a good year for 'Mates! Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

There are so many great lines out there, some are going to be tougher to complete. I loved the Calico Jack line, and the Real Ghostbusters are a lot of fun and hit the nostalgia button for sure. BTTF is another great one in my mind! Occasionally you'll find older members thinning out collections, like I currently am, and maybe find a deal or two from them.

Jeff of the Miniacs

There's something to be said for collecting a dead line. Since most collectors have either completed their collection or decided to sell it off, supply and demand is much more reasonable. I recently began buying JLU figures again after selling off my collection several years ago, and it's been much easier the second time around (Grundy is still too expensive, though).

In regards to Super Hero Squad, I was able to pick up both Hepzibah and Warpath along with Professor X and a Spider-man for $55 shipped from China. Most of the rarer, hard to find figures are dropping in price. Wrecker was at one point another hard to find figure whose price has bottomed out. I think it would be a good line because it has ended so you'll know exactly what you're looking for. Then of course there are all the upcoming Minimates lines suggested that are coming out this year. It's a good year for 'Mates! Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

Some of them have, yes. Unfortunately, some of the regular releases are still quite pricey. A quick eBay search for 'Super Hero Squad Storm Figure' shows her going for $34.49 loose & $89.99 packaged.

The same search with Rogue substituted in yeilds results between $64.95 loose and $139.88 packaged. ohmy.png

c2tc is right - many of the figures have come down in price a lot. You can pick up a Wrecker for under $10 without too much hassle these days. But some of the earlier figures might set you back a little. Of course, you can probably find these at much better prices if you are patient.... But if you are a completionist you could end up spending a lot of time and money on SHS.

EDIT: You can sometimes get around paying crazy prices for rarer singles if you buy them in a bundle lot on eBay, but you will often end up with a lot of duplicates this way.

Edited by Nessex

If only there was some kind of database listing all Minimates and series that one could browse..,.biggrin.png

I think the only line that hasn't been mentioned that I would recommend is Tomb Raider: great figures and fairly easy to get right now.

I've been looking through the Database but it really doesn't tell me how much they go for on eBay or what the frequency of them popping up is. Buttsheadsmate does that much better. :P

The Man With No Name stuff is definitely great. Three box sets.

Oh, and Godzilla! The second box set is painted and ready to solicit. Should be a fun series.

I would love a complete set of The Man With No Name boxsets... if I didn't have to resort to ebay prices. :( I started collecting Minimates after those had been released.

There was a time when I could tell you the price of just about any Minimate.......it's a lot harder now but I still reckon I can figure any....er..any figure's rarity/availability . It's always just my opinion & things can change overnight if [examples]someone decides to unload a stash of something or DST brings out a new version of a rare item* but the point has always been that I am trying to help.

*this affects the price of the old item but not its rarity .

Edited by buttheadsmate