UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

we NEED a build a figure wave.

A large-scale build-a-figure is out of the question for Marvel. The contract won't allow it. The BAF would have to be within the 2" range and technically DST has already offered that by including such accessories to build alternate characters. (Nick Fury and Commander Steve Rogers leap to mind.)

If you're going to argue large-scale figures, you have to go with a property that might allow it, like Aliens. You also have to consider that the BAF is going to be a figure that won't likely be offered in any other format, like the Alien Queen or Load Lifter. Those seemed to be no-brainers when the license was announced but have since been put on the fence pending… whatever. (Retailer interest due to great sales of the army dump and 2-packs? I don't know.)

So from my perspective, the only way we're likely to get an Alien Queen in scale with the 2" Minimates is if it's offered as a BAF. And honestly; who collects that line but doesn't want the Queen?

I'd rather see it used toward things like power loader or queen, or in a license like Battle Beasts where it builds a unique oversized beast. For standard minimates, like Marvel, I think an insert backdrop, similar to what DCD Pocket Heroes had, would be cool.

I don't see why the Alien Queen or power loader would more likely as a BAF figure than a separate item. Given the cost likely involved I'd think they'd actually be less likely.

As for Marvel, I'd much rather get the extras we're currently getting than breaking up a figure and shorting the rest of the wave. With two-packs and boxsets we already have a way to get obscure characters; I don't see how a BAF would really help anything.

The only way i see this *really* appealing to me is if we get some very obscure characters or very unlikely characters as BAF pieces throughout a wave.

Even then, i'd expect it to be very vanilla characters, as i wouldn't anticipate DST wanting to spend a whole lot on tooling for an obscure figure that was a 'bonus' to series.

Still - if it got us a Val Cooper, Moira McTaggert etc.... i'd be down for it :)

Back in the day, I thought the build-a-figure would've been a good idea(Treebeard I'm looking at you!). Now I just want minimates with as many accessories as they need. The problem is with who gets made, when to insert them into a wave. Torch's flame base misses a re-release(for those who might have missed out), for awesome Andy's leg or torso. It's a good idea, but the release pattern is fine with me. My challenge to DST- finish out the Marvel encyclopedia! I'm guessing at least a hundred mates easy!biggrin.png

I don't see why the Alien Queen or power loader would more likely as a BAF figure than a separate item.

It's not just about what DST can offer, it's about what retailers will take.

If retailers don't want an Aliens Minimates item outside of the $9.99 2-packs or $5.99 single packs, then the only way to get a proper Alien Queen or load lifter is to fit them into that format. I'm sure AA could design scaled-down versions of both to fit into that blister size but if collectors really want them in scale with other Aliens Minimates (like I do) then the only solution is to offer them as BAFs.

Personally I don't care how we get them. I'd love a "Final Battle" set that includes a Ripley variant in the load lifter, the Alien Queen, and whatever else they want to throw in there. Same with an APC and Dropship. The trick is getting those more expensive items to you and me. (2015 con exclusive?)

Aliens is really the perfect testing ground for a Minimates BAF.

I did my best (worst) to point out the pitfalls of blind-bagging & TBH I reckon,from what I've seen,most of my misgivings have been addressed........ DST are doing their best . I'm not saying that I'd encourage BAF or indeed that I need them but as MisterPL says I can see that this could work with the Aliens licence .

Medicom ,once again, did some BAF figures with their final Star Wars DX & Eva blind boxed kubrick figures ,they also did cardboard dioramas , these items were pretty special IMHO.

DST was opposed to blind bags but because of pressure at retail made it happen with one very specific property. (And TMNT makes sense for blind bags because it has multiple main characters.)

I can see the same retail pressure happening with BAFs and Aliens. There's no denying the demand of the Alien Queen and Ripley's load lifter. Retailers familiar with the brand get it.

As with blind bags, I don't see BAFs working with EVERY property but if in its simplest terms the BAF model is supposed to encourage multiple purchases then DST has already done that by offering alternate parts in 2-packs and 4-packs. But the point of this exercise seems to be the ability to offer a larger figure across an entire series.

I can't think of another property that DST currently has in its portfolio that 1) has oversized characters and 2) allows for oversized Minimates. Battle Beasts comes to mind but that line doesn't have the demand this model needs to give it a fair trial.

I know I have said this before in another thread, but here it is again.

I would love a BAF model with Minimates, particularly with lines that have a 'variant' 2-pack with an army builder in a case. What I would like for the BAF in Marvel, let's say, would be a third army builder as the BAF. We already typically get multiple heads in the pack with the army builder to create alternate looks. Include an extra army builder torso (could allow for a female army builder option) in with one pack of the wave and the legs in with another pack. This way, if you buy a set of three 2-packs, you get two army builders, if you buy a set of four, you get three. Buy a customer case? Get 11 army builders instead of 8!

This would give folks an incentive to buy another whole set instead of just more of the two army builder packs, or reward those of us who buy Minimates by the case. Who wouldn't want more army builders like this?

This would also be great for walking dead! Imagine getting additional zombie body parts in each pack to have as dismembered zombies or that many more pieces to make your own!

• 1 month later...

To keep the price point in the same range (and to keep the accessories part count up, too), instead of a two-pack+BAF, make it one fig (probably a variant of an existing fig) along with a slightly bigger BAF piece?

Also, how about not only BAF sets, but also build-a-vehicle or build-a-diorama sets too. Like battle damaged versions of the TMNTs along with 4 pieces that would build a turtle van or sewer/street diorama, for an example.

Edited by MMao

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anything like this has been mentioned, but what about some type of "Build an Accessory"?

Maybe like all the pieces build a small Cryo-tank, or a mini Diorama, something a power-house character can use....like a safe, or large weights.

I really can't think of any more ideas, but I think it is somewhat of an out of the box thing that could do well.