UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New License Speculation - Halloween ComicFest 2014

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would have liked to see Minimate horses, but we probably wouldn't have had Minimate horses anyway. I didn't think POTA was really the choice, because it's something DST has apparently been pursuing for awhile, and why would they go too far out of their way to pursue something with the likely limited appeal of POTA? I still don't see Predator as being very likely due to the fact that they are so readily compatible with Aliens, but other than that it would seem the front runner.

I didn't think POTA was really the choice, because it's something DST has apparently been pursuing for awhile, and why would they go too far out of their way to pursue something with the likely limited appeal of POTA?

Beats me.

Dawn_of_the_Planet_of_the_Apes_20.jpg

It's not like the franchise has any amount of longevity.

But yeah. Predator has always seemed the obvious choice to me, especially if we're considering translucent variants and something that complements another line.

So THAT can't be it.

Well I'm talking about collectible appeal. The Kubricks (for both old films and the Burton one, I believe) were distributed in the U.S., were not huge sellers, and could be bought for a song on the secondary market (or this used to be the case anyway. They may be worth a bit more now that the new movies have come out). The only other major toy line I'm aware of apart from MEGO--which isn't really applicable, being from a totally different time--are the NECA ones, which are targeting a pretty niche group. But to clarify--I can definitely see DST doing it, but I can't see them spending a lot of time and effort over a long period of time on it.

Edited by karamazov80

I wish it was Predator, but I'm leaning towards A Nightmare Before Christmas. I noticed a lot of ANBC merchandise showing up lately. I liked the movie, but wouldn't be interested in minimates except for a Jack Skellington for my son since he loved the movie.

Well I'm talking about collectible appeal. The Kubricks (for both old films and the Burton one, I believe) were distributed in the U.S., were not huge sellers, and could be bought for a song on the secondary market (or this used to be the case anyway. They may be worth a bit more now that the new movies have come out). The only other major toy line I'm aware of apart from MEGO--which isn't really applicable, being from a totally different time--are the NECA ones, which are targeting a pretty niche group. But to clarify--I can definitely see DST doing it, but I can't see them spending a lot of time and effort over a long period of time on it.

Collectible appeal may be changing. Burton's reimagining did nothing for the franchise. Rise of the Planet of the Apes had to overcome that flick and I'm reading nothing but praise for the sequel. How does that translates into merchandise in the long run? We'll have to see but I know nostalgia's a powerful drug or DST wouldn't have hung on to Star Trek all this time.

But I agree; it's not the kind of property I see DST spending a long time pursuing. It just happens to be my Holy Grail property for Minimates thanks to Mego. :D

Collectible appeal may be changing. Burton's reimagining did nothing for the franchise. Rise of the Planet of the Apes had to overcome that flick and I'm reading nothing but praise for the sequel. How does that translates into merchandise in the long run? We'll have to see but I know nostalgia's a powerful drug or DST wouldn't have hung on to Star Trek all this time.

But I agree; it's not the kind of property I see DST spending a long time pursuing. It just happens to be my Holy Grail property for Minimates thanks to Mego. biggrin.png

Ah! another mego collector!

I don't think i'd be interested in modern PotA. The realism they've gone for in the new films would make for far less interesting action figures than the classic series. The Tim Burton film would actually yield interesting action figures, too.

As what the line actually is - i'm stumped. I do hope it's something bright and toyetic though :D

has anyone brought up POTC series? i know it would compliment the Callico Jack stuff but maybe those dont count since they're no longer in production?

or maybe the Simpsons? though i doubt they'd want to compete with the Lego's

Edited by undeadpool

PotC would be okay, and it fits the time criteria, but on the other hand, the property is currently in limbo in terms of gaining attentio

And I know Simpsons seems impossible. Perhaps maybe futurama? Would also fit the hints, still is pretty popular, and releasing Bender as a single pack would still sell pretty well.