UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Blind Bag discussion!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the way I see it...

I, as a collector of Minimates, am extremely excited for this. DST seems to be doing everything right: (Small number of figures per case, making all figures available in one case, etc.) I also don't know what the license is, so I might not even care when these come out. The idea intrigues me though.

I personally think that all of the analysis of whether or not this is a good decision for DST should be left up to them. All of the posts predicting the future of this line and the possible prices of figures on the second market are ridiculous given we really don't have any details. I am a firm believer of never counting something out until you can truly take in the subject in person.

I am sure DST has given this a lot of thought and they are not just making this decision on a whim. They can't afford to risk a new line on a gamble. Trust them! When was the last time they failed us?

If this ends up being TMNT, even better for me! Given that I am not a die hard fan of the Turtles, something like this would probably cause me to jump on board and buy at least a few 'Mates. I would not be interested in the line otherwise. (Hmm, maybe I am part of the target audience.)

I any event, I am VERY excited, and thanks Zach for giving us the stream of information that you have. I'm sure dealing with all these comments can be taxing at times.

ANYWAY that GETS MORE MINIMATES IN STORES. which helps keep the brand growing and alive IM ALL FOR!

And even those of you who really dont like the idea of blind bags, your telling me you don't like the idea of impulse buyers coming to our community?

ALL for it. And I will buy them whenever I see them if the pricepoint is good.

A couple of things first .....this thread was born out of another & it would be quite easy to forget the context that some of the comments [from everyone hereon] might refer to . Most importantly it was born out of a distinctly titled 'speculation' thread ........just saying that before we all get torn limb from limb by each other for speculating .

My comments have been put forward to explain my own historical experiences with blind-boxed packaged block-figures ,especially palZ* & especially especially kubricks* . I really have been there....... seen it .......done it ......got the T-shirt (truth ...I have kubrick T-shirts) ......my comments regarding my experience definitely relate to those** lines & I have been careful to add that DST may well get things right with their blind-bagging promotional activities.

I will continue to express my concerns about the frailties of blind marketing that I have had personal experience of, once these buggers are out there in the marketplace then it will be a little late to start saying "I told you so" .

This isn't a new idea for DST either , the Japanese market's Street Fighters case had 24 boxes with 13 different characters....& were available from ToysRUs.......ToysRUs (Japan) pinch.gif

post-638-0-98418400-1400838181_thumb.jpgpost-638-0-67283800-1400838200_thumb.jpgpost-638-0-97744300-1400838217_thumb.jpg

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=348

Edited by buttheadsmate

I am surprised it took this long... every time I go into toys r us, target, wal mart, five below, etc... I see blind bags for all kinds of properties, and always think to myself that it would be nice to pick up some blind bagged mates, instead of kreos, or legos, or even mario bos.

The biggest difference for me, is I'd probably be cool with whoever was in the blind bag for minimates, because I always end up getting extras of most things i like. Whereas the legos or kreons, i get bummed when its a duplicate, and usually, there are only a handful of each wave that i want to get.

The other thing, its fun for me and my son to try and figure out which ones we want to get. We have a ball opening them up, and I get an extra kick out of watching him open them up and seeing his excitement when he sees who it is inside the bag. We make a whole thing out of it, trying to guess who it is before we open them, and talk about who we wish it is, and our favorites, an so on.

I cant wait to have that same experience with minimates. I'm truly looking forward to this, and glad it is finally happening.

One question for Zach, will there be a checklist inside?

That is part of our fun (and in a weird way, brings me back to when my brother and I used to stare at the backs of GI Joe cards)

ok another one for Zach, are smaller stores like Five Below, and all the Dollar stores (dollar general, family dollar, etc...) being considered for these as well?

I don't believe that we sell to dollar stores regularly, so I don't know if we reached out to them here. We might not be allowed to, to be honest. But we'll start with comic shops and big chains and see where it goes. Our prices might not work for dollar stores, either, as I believe we'll be more expensive than Lego or Kre-O.

I agree that blind bags are fun, Nervous, and I am glad you'll be able to continue that experience with your son. I'm sure you'll put your dupes to good use. ;)

And I think we can be targeting casual buyers and still hope they'll collect more. Jatta's logic was getting a little twisted -- if they get all the main characters, then they've likely already bought a few extras, so they've already collected more. If they feel the need to complete, they'll have to keep trying. They could go to the secondary market, but that's a choice, and I doubt not getting the super-rare right away is going to discourage people.

But the one per case is there to reward people who keep trying, or who buy a case, or, if they're lucky, those who take a chance on a single purchase. It's not there to make life difficult for completists. And it's not a version everybody will even want. If comic shops open them up and try to charge a price based on mathematical rarity, good luck to them. I hope they do well with it.

Edited by DSTZach

Personally, I dislike the "blind bag" thing and stay away from a few lines because of it. However, if it gets more stuff I want out there, I will just take it in stride. I understand the whole "hunt" thing as an added fun factor, but its not fun for me to open more avenues to scalpers or the need to buy way more than I want to get a certain figure. It always seems to me like that one figure I personally want ends up being the chase. Example: Grand Moff Tarkin. Thank you Medicom, I hate you.

I feel like it will be a good thing if it happens, but I am not looking forward to it.

But the one per case is there to reward people who keep trying, or who buy a case

How about the reward for going into a store and buying the product you made. Isn't that enough? confused.gif

I'm not sure what part of my logic was getting twisted but I'll try to reframe for clarity. (Note: I don't expect my criticism to change DST decisions, but as an end consumer I want the manufacturer of a product I love to have my perspective).

I'm not criticizing blind bags or 50% main character case distribution. I am being critical of the one per case as it seems unnecessary with blind bags, it encourages scalpers and thieves, AND it encourages comic shop owners to open blind bags and re-price. You may hope comic shop sellers do well with that practice, but they are utterly defeating your blind bag system. Who will pay $3.99 at Target for a random figure when they can get a main figure at a comic shop for $1.99?

I think I've made my case and I don't expect DSTZach needs to reply to me. I don't want to beat a dead horse and I'm starting to sound like it! biggrin.png

As a hard-core collector, I have no personal stake in the matter. If comic shop owners or scalpers are successful in finding and re-selling the variant, it makes it easier for me as a hard core collector. I'll spend less money. But I think you risk losing out on turning casual buyers into more serious collectors.

BHM's blind-bag trivia #32 : The Spider-man 3 kubrick set featured a Peter Parker 'chase' figure which is undoubtedly the most common figure from that set regularly seen for sale on ebay for bloody years.

Runaway Brain Mickey & Julius were each 1:96 secret chase figures in the early BB kubrick Disney series' ..............they were subsequently re-released as a displayable 2 pack & are identical to the originals ,they are currently available on ebay for about $12 the pair .... e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Runaway-Brain-Mickey-Julius-Kubrick-2-pack-/321401092932?pt=TV_Movie_Character_Toys_US&hash=item4ad4ff7b44

......my original versions cost me well over $60 odd each & the expressions on Mickey & Julius' faces about sums up how I feel about Medicom.

palZ X-files : Autopsy Scully 1:64 was consistently quoted by 'Corndogcollectibles' as "perhaps being produced in numbers of less than 50 " ...............if that were true then I am fairly confident that I must have at least 75 % of them .

I'm not kidding & I will get a photo of them if there is sufficient goading &/or disbelief mellow.png

This seller had another 10% until recently rolleyes.gifhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/1set-X-Files-Palz-Series-2-SA-Dana-Scully-Quantico-Forensic-Training-1-64-Loose-/181188193130?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2fa86b6a&nma=true&si=6t7PjTxhZkJyAQcxqLh9TQ07nFs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by buttheadsmate

I'll say it again: as long as I can get a full set by buying a single case, I am fine with it.

In fact, that does make it quite easy for completionists like myself.

One and done is super easy! I hate hunting, I hate having to make multiple purchases. I hate 2nd market price increases.

Having everything in one case is super easy, and super customer-friendly (charging people $140 per case and not guaranteeing they get one of everything is not).

I am all for it. thumbsup.gif

I really dislike blind bags. I don't feel like I should have to gamble to spend money with a company. I just want the toys. Why make me jump through hoops to give you my money?

Buying a case isn't something I'm interested in either. All it does is make me spend money on multiples of things that I don't want and never would have bought that many of in the first place. Being forced to spend more money on something and end up with a lot of figures that I don't want doesn't feel like a reward to me.

With that being said, I get that DST will make money with this scheme. Otherwise, they wouldn't do it, right? So from a money making standpoint, it makes sense. If it increases the bottom line then DST has done their job. It's just very disappointing from a collecting standpoint for me. I was pretty comfortable that the Minimates line was big enough to not be in constant trouble of going under but not so big that it was subject to Hasbro or Mattel style marketing practices. Which is to say marketing towards the masses with a large amount of Marvel movie product and focusing on gimmicks like blind bags and super rare chase figures in those blind bags.

I don't collect Lego figures .

The Simpsons Lego case-breakdown seems fair ......... attachicon.gif13885645525_cc18d5fd9a_z.jpg

60 in a case ,16 to a set , 3 complete sets , 7 moderately rare figures ( 3 of each) , 4/5 each of the most popular (my words)

characters- family members .

I don't collect LEGO minifigures either as I don't really care for the overall design aesthetic, but the Simpsons minifigures somehow work really well imho. I think it is the sculpted heads that translate the cartoon style so well. They don't seem like typical LEGO minifigures and I think you would like them BHM (if you like Simpsons at all).

I don't want to de-rail this thread so I'll direct further discussion to the Simpsons Lego Thread.

I don't collect Lego figures .

The Simpsons Lego case-breakdown seems fair ......... attachicon.gif13885645525_cc18d5fd9a_z.jpg

60 in a case ,16 to a set , 3 complete sets , 7 moderately rare figures ( 3 of each) , 4/5 each of the most popular (my words)

characters- family members .

Ironically, the family members are the ones I had the most trouble finding, particularly Homer and Marge.