UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Pathfinder minimates!-First box set revealed

I'm not a packaging completist but I am as far as getting one of each figure. I would agree with you that it's been relatively easy so far for people that have a decent TRU in their vicinity to keep up with all of the figures. Obviously not counting the Pathfinder promos and the upcoming TMNT chases. But the challenge of keeping up is absolutely the worst part. I don't find any fun in something being more rare or hard to come by. It really just subtracts from the experience more than adds to it for me. But, the point is to collect Minimates and getting the figures and being able to display them or build universes with them is cool. So if you have to jump through hoops to do so then that's just the cost of collecting.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a packaging completist but I am as far as getting one of each figure. I would agree with you that it's been relatively easy so far for people that have a decent TRU in their vicinity to keep up with all of the figures. Obviously not counting the Pathfinder promos and the upcoming TMNT chases. But the challenge of keeping up is absolutely the worst part. I don't find any fun in something being more rare or hard to come by. It really just subtracts from the experience more than adds to it for me. But, the point is to collect Minimates and getting the figures and being able to display them or build universes with them is cool. So if you have to jump through hoops to do so then that's just the cost of collecting.

See, I'm a thrill of the hunt kind of guy. It's why I don't order online unless I have to. BUT... it's only fun to a point. Again, to cite Hasbro: a recent Transformer (Swerve) never once showed up at my store. When we SHOULD have been getting his wave, we were getting assortments from roughly twelve months prior which we had never received. We've since gotten in the following wave, and I've seen the wave after that elsewhere. But I never saw Swerve, once, anywhere. So now I worry about future releases and whether or not I'll ever encounter them at retail, or if I should straight up pre-order everything I want. But I know, then, I'll lose the joy of finding a new figure in a shipment or on a peg somewhere, and without that sensation of "earning" my toys, the hobby will lose a lot of its appeal

I hear you on Hasbro. I used to collect ML, MU, and some Joes and SW as well. But the constant state of chaos caused by their awful distribution, case assortments, etc... completely took the fun out of collecting. The unnecessary hassle of not being able to give a company my money for their product without making 15 or more unsuccessful toy runs overshadowed the actual product by a good margin. It was a blessing in disguise though. Giving up Hasbro and selling off all of those figures is what I funded Minimates purchasing with. A definite upgrade.

I used to feel like "earning" my toys through constant store trips was essential but I've come to value my time more. Even though I do a good bit of driving week to week and could easily stop by a ton of TRUs and comic shops now. I love the fact that I can place an order through Luke and then the only thing I have to worry about is the release date getting pushed back or the product being cancelled and not making it to market. That takes the stress of wasted time/gas/money off the table and allows me to just focus on the toys themselves instead of the toys being a smaller part of the equation. Granted, I do miss the rush of finding the hot new thing every now and then. And finding things in store does guard against the occasional bad paint app. And getting the C2E2 promo straight from the source certainly added a cool factor beyond overpaying for one on eBay. But overall, the rare rush and almost constant letdown of shopping in stores took it's toll on my collecting hobby.

Speaking as a promo collector or promo completionist, this is the toughest one for me. There are a couple of promos that I still don't have, but I don't have them by my own fault basically. The Pathfinder goblins are tough even if you want to pay the crazy prices. I haven't even seen at least one of them, anywhere but in pictures.

I haven't even seen at least one of them, anywhere but in pictures.

This is exactly why I was speculating that they didn't all get sold or given away via dice rolls at GenCon.

Theres that one (which according to my friend) was extremely hard to get and the other one which you had to spend $100 to get....not likely they sold that much stuff...in single $100 + transactions.

I placed an order for these on 9/14 and its been listed as "pending" ever since, cant
get anyone to answer emails or the phone but of course my CC was billed
right off. and im in WA state, the company is listed as being just a few towns away. 19 miles away! WTF!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mattallica

I placed an order for these on 9/14 and its been listed as "pending" ever since, cant

right off. and im in WA state, the company is listed as being just a few towns away. 19 miles away! WTF!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, something's screwy with your order -- got mine within ten days of ordering. Your advantage is that you can drive to their offices and ask what's going on. :)

And Matt: when the hell did you move to Washington?

19 miles away? I'd visit in person

I've been waiting for my order to process for two weeks now. I email to ask to add an extra set, wait a week to hear it has, then wait a week to get charged.

The other day I had a temporary charge for my total... today it's gone and I still haven't been charged. I don't know what's going on...

Edited by Mystery Man

Yeah, something's screwy with your order -- got mine within ten days of ordering. Your advantage is that you can drive to their offices and ask what's going on. smile.png

And Matt: when the hell did you move to Washington?

been here for a little more than 2 years now

See, I'm a thrill of the hunt kind of guy.

But you work at a ToysRUs? That's like a Lion camping at the Watering Hole.

Also, these minimates look really cool.

See, I'm a thrill of the hunt kind of guy.

But you work at a ToysRUs? That's like a Lion camping at the Watering Hole.

Not so much so as you'd think. Between poor distribution and products being exclusive to other chains/specialty, there's still quite a bit of hunting that goes on.

But... there IS still a difference in staking out the watering hole vs being tossed steaks by the zoo keeper. Something about seeing a new figure sitting on the peg makes the whole process so much more enjoyable than opening a shipping carton.