UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Pathfinder minimates!-First box set revealed

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buttheadsmate, on 20 Sept 2014 - 14:46, said:

Promos do absolutely nothing to promote anything except angst & if anybody wants to discuss that ....please bring it on dry.png

Did the Marvel line [what wave are we on now rolleyes.gif ] require promos ? If you discount the Gold & Silver BS items then that line has been 'promoted' by just one 'promo' in many many years.......Santa Spidey.

Bringing it...

Marvel has had several “promos”

-Minimates packed in with that awful animated Avengers DVD

-Luke Cage and Power Fist being sold only through ToyFare Magazine

-The most recent Hulk and Iron man DVD tie-in mates.

-Web-Armor Spider-man was available by spending X amount at AFX

These weren’t handed out free like the Battle Beast, but neither were the Goblins. Two were sold for $5 at nearby restaurants (which really makes them more of “retailer exclusives” in terms of comparability since you had to actively buy them, you weren’t handed one because you walked by), one was given to you if spent $100 or more at Paizo’s booth (so like Web-Armor Spider-man), and one was one in a contest (So yeah, like Santa Spidey there’s PONE true Paizo freeby promo.)

Also, Paizo doesn’t need f**king minimates to promote Pathfinder... Paizo COSPONSERED Gencon. If you’re at Gencon you KNOW already who Paizo is and what Pathfinder is. (Now maybe you’re not a fan, like someone at Comic-Con who LOVES DC and thinks Marvel just suuuuuucks. I’m sure there’s some D&D gamers like that. But Marvel Minimates didn’t need those Comic Con attendees to succeed and Pathfinder mates don’t need those jerks either.)

This isn’t DST trying to launch a new franchise, this is an existing franchise offering a new product to it’s fanbase (you know like how Marvel already had fans) starting with some exclusives they could buy at the biggest convention their fans might gather at (I believe DST launched Walking Dead and ViewAskew mates this way as well, exclusive packs made quickly to sold at a large con... and both of those lines seem to be doing quiet well.)

If you give someone buying a Spider-man Bottle Opener a free Vorin, you have to hope that a-hole is going to be interested in the block figure as a concept AND that Vorin captures his imagination enough he wants all of Vorins friends, you’ve got to win them over on TWO fields. If you give someone buying a Pathfinder RPG book a free Goblin (Goblins being heavily featured in their books) you just need to convince them they want block figures, which might not work, BUT it’s easier to convince someone who likes the Goblins they want block figures then to convince someone who just like Spider-man and opening beers they want to start collecting figures of something they’ve never heard of.

I honestly don’t see what your problem with anything Paizo’s doing is... I think you’re making a non-issue into conspiracy because you don’t really get who Paizo is.

dr baghead ,I always enjoy your posts & I thank you for raising some excellent points which have gone some way into giving me a different insight into Paizo . I do however get what Paizo is & I stopped well-short of accusing them of conspiracy.

My dig at the Battle Beast line [which I loved] was perhaps ill-chosen but TBH it is still true & I'll stick by what I say about the effectiveness of promos in general.

In all honesty I enjoyed your response & there is little to argue with ......unfortunatelybiggrin.png

That doesn't mean to say that I am placated ,truth be told my 'problem' is still with Erik Mona's first post ........maybe it's a 'Rob' thing, maybe I am just an old cynic but just read it again & try to figure out just why he said what he indeed said .

"Sorry guys they all got sold " would not have offended or upset me .....why should it ? Instead we got ....I'll put it nicely ...the wrong information.

If everyone else is chipper with everything I'll just shut the fuck up & just post my pictures of my four happy goblins when they arrive .

On another note which is strange but true ... I notice 'words' & I was straight 'there' when Erik Mona popped up as a new member . Anagrams ......don't you just love them ?

On another note which is strange but true ... I notice 'words' & I was straight 'there' when Erik Mona popped up as a new member . Anagrams ......don't you just love them ?

I’m not sure I follow the anagram thing, especially since near as I can tell that’s his real name http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Mona and to go by a fake name for several years to screw us over on goblin minimates seems like a weird long con.

but if you notice anagrams, what did you think when these got made?: http://www.minimatedatabase.com/line.php?i=26&n=Back+To+The+Future+Minimates

I'd like to thank Erik for coming here and being up-front about their plans. Introducing Pathfinder fans to Minimates through these promos and taking a full assortment of Minimates for the Paizo store shows a lot of faith in the line and its potential, and it seems like they are truly trying to accommodate people who were not at GenCon.

I just got my hands on a set of the two-packs and the upcoming Pathfinder 4-pack, and I am looking forward to taking some photos.

I'd like to thank Erik for coming here and being up-front about their plans. Introducing Pathfinder fans to Minimates through these promos and taking a full assortment of Minimates for the Paizo store shows a lot of faith in the line and its potential, and it seems like they are truly trying to accommodate people who were not at GenCon.

I just got my hands on a set of the two-packs and the upcoming Pathfinder 4-pack, and I am looking forward to taking some photos.

I second that. I also hope we can end up with the promos when all is said and done.

I received my order today, and wow are these impressive. 10/10, easily some of the best 'mates ever produced.

I really hope these were a lot of people's first experience with Minimates.

Well done DST, and bring on Wave 2 and more boxsets!

One question, was the ghoul supposed to have one or two normal hands? Not sure if I lost one, or it just shipped with one.

I share your frustrations with this promo situation BHM. When I first read there would be four bagged promos at this show I was afraid I'd be dragged back to eBay. (I've been clean for years.) Mr. Mona's post calmed those concerns. I wanted to believe. Now even if the goblins are reissued with the same bag that leaves us* with two versions to track down. And it sounds like as popular as these were we'll have a new batch to hunt down next year.

(*us completist nutjobs, that is)

I share your frustrations with this promo situation BHM. When I first read there would be four bagged promos at this show I was afraid I'd be dragged back to eBay. (I've been clean for years.) Mr. Mona's post calmed those concerns. I wanted to believe. Now even if the goblins are reissued with the same bag that leaves us* with two versions to track down. And it sounds like as popular as these were we'll have a new batch to hunt down next year.

(*us completist nutjobs, that is)

I've got to say, if you're a completist yo the point you need every packaging variation of every figure, then any frustration you feel, you've brought on yourself

Hey, I've no I'll will towards any kind of completists, BUT... if that's the bed you've made for yourself...

Look, I'm no kind of completist, and I work at a Toys R Us, and yet I still have difficulty finding some of the Hasbro figures I want. I've had to track them down at cons and on eBay. That says to me that Hasbro is doing it wrong. Minimate-wise, I've more or less always found everything I'm looking for, and with minimal trouble. Even if I was trying to get every character, I'd still probably be okay. But, had I made the choice to track down every variant and - moreover - every packaging variant, I'd have had my work cut out for me. But here's the thing... if that's the choice you're making, you do so willingly, knowing that it WILL be more difficult. Hell, I assume the challenge is what drives most completists. Or maybe it's just what drives them crazy.