UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC Exclusive Speculation

It's TRU exclusive blind bag figures. smile.png

So, next question....thoughts on the retail cost?

If they are $2.99 that makes them less than a 2-pack, if they are $3.99 that makes them more than a 2-pack.

Is this method of selling Minimates replacing or co-existing with the 2-pack format?

3.99 is fine with me but there is no way blind bags could replace to packs, I think of it more as supplementary.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I took the right day off! This thread would have destroyed me.

I'm surprised that two ideas about what the potentially disliked thing might be were 1. a less-than-popular new license (a new Minimates license should NEVER be a bad thing, even for a completist, and we don't take a license without seeing an audience for it) and 2. re-issuing old figures (we've done three series of re-issues, and I think we've shown that we will always change figures in some way).

It's blind bags. But we are not blind-bagging Marvel. Not now, anyway, and if we ever did, it would probably be well-known characters, for the most part. No, the line we're blind-bagging is going to be blind-bagged from the start, it will be in far more outlets, and each case will contain a full set plus multiples of the main characters. There will be one-per-case figures, but they will be variants on main characters who are already in the assortment. So they'll be hard to detect, and we are looking into how to further disguise each pack's contents to prevent cherry-picking.

Retailer response was positive, as even the stores who carry Minimates felt they could do better, and felt there was a lack of consumer understanding. Consumers seem to understand this, and the license will give us a broad audience to draw on.

Hope this allays some fears, and gives everyone else time to mull over whether to sell ofF their collections. This is not meant to be a slap towards collectors, or a money-grab. This is us trying to get Minimates to the next level.

each case will contain a full set plus multiples of the main characters. There will be one-per-case figures, but they will be variants on main characters who are already in the assortment.

As long as I only need to buy one case to get everyone, and nothing more, I am fine with this. :)

Thanks for walking into the minefield, Zach. smile.png

So Blindbag packaging will be initially for the as of yet unannounced license, or are other announced licenses (TMNT) being considered too? Since this was announced at the Diamond retailer summit, I'm assuming this means that consumers will be able to just order a full case right through their specialty store if they want?

Are blind bags going to be hitting the other larger retailers (TRU, Wal-Mart, etc...), and if so, will it be the same assortment offered to Specialty, or unique to the store?

Depends on the license but it seems that if we can order cases and they keep rates to one per case ratios its not very different from the 12 dump cases we've seen before. Im curious what the license will be though.

T.

P.s. I'm going to strip the blind box debate out to it's own thread when I get to a pc later today.

Not marvel and I can buy a case and get them all. It's all good to me.

I'm guessing it's TMNT, other than Marvel it's the most popular license DST has, and I can see lots of stores wanting them.

Zach said no Marvel as of now. I really hope it's never.

Of course, maybe I'm the only one interested in that sort of excitement. sweat.gif

The "collector" in me loves the idea of the chase of obtaining a rarer than normal figure, but the "jaded collector" in me has always gravitated towards Minimates because of the ease of collecting. The variants and chase figures are what drove me away from Marvel Legends, and I thank Jeebus that I never got roped into Kubricks.

But I definitely know where you're coming from... thumbsup.gif

My first real experience with them has been with the Simpsons Legos, and they wore on me pretty quickly. But, in the past I've picked up a few specific Lego ones using the codes with success. Assuming this is the line I think it is (and of course it is!), these should be really popular.

The "collector" in me loves the idea of the chase of obtaining a rarer than normal figure, but the "jaded collector" in me has always gravitated towards Minimates because of the ease of collecting.

ditto.gif

Depending on the license, I may not give a crap anyway but I'd hate to see this become the new paradigm for properties I have been enjoying.

(It's Planet of the Apes, isn't it.)

Glad Zach gave us a long enough heads up that I can work out the logistics of selling my collection.

In the meantime, my best guess for license is Garbage Pail Kids.