UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC Exclusive Speculation

I'm sure someone wears a revealing outfit, like many empowered female protagonists, but probably not all of them.

What I want to know is--where are all the empowered male characters wearing nothing but leopard print Speedos and pasties?

Please don't let my facetious pic-heavy replies fool you. I actually agree very much with your sentiments.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I've never read any of the GFT, my only experience is from Previews, I'm actually excited about the possibility of this license.

Just based on cover art I'd love to get

Masumi

Robyn Hood

Liesel Van Helsing (probably the closest we'll get to the Steam Punk Lexi Femme Fatale)

Thorne (The Lion of Oz)

Tin Man

The Cheshire Cat

Werewolf (Battle Beast sculpted perhaps)

As for many of the other female characters, who wouldn't want to put together a full spectrum of Hellfire Club Queens?

Oh, and I'm all for a line scantily clad male characters. Bring on the Marvel Swimsuit Edition Box Sets!

speaking of POTA

any one try grodds face with wolfdudes hair part?

293hso8.png

almost looks like the old version apes.

Unfortunately, without a lot of work, that combination isn't going to work since Grodd uses the 3" body.

Re: GFT - I'm not interested, intrinsically, but I'd gladly about the line for custom fodder

Re: Tarot, and comments about its "silly" depiction of women - tarot is specifically written to embrace both a particular body type and state of mind. It may seem silly or scandalous in a pseudo judeo-Christian landscape, but it's actually a very real outlook on life carried to the nth degree in comic form. And as regards the body type, considering its cocreator was the model, believe me when I say it's more about positive body image than "hey, look, big boobs." I'd argue it's biggest falling is its creator's artistic ability

Unfortunately, without a lot of work, that combination isn't going to work since Grodd uses the 3" body.

Actually Grodd uses the 2.5" body but, yeah, same problem.

Which is another reason why we need a proper PotA line of Minimates. :D

I read a few of the GFT TPB's last night. I actually enjoyed some of the stories I read. Some of the outfits the women wear are skimpy, but no worse than Psylocke or Emma Frost's costumes. I think I only read one where there was some sort of sexual activity going on, but there was absolutely no nudity in any of the books.

What's that old saying again?? Oh yeah, don't judge a book by its cover. Compare it to comics like Fathom, Lady Death, Darkchylde, or Witchblade. GFT reminds me a lot of those types of comics where the female is a big breasted scantily clad woman. The artwork in a few of the stories is pretty dang good too (not just the women).

Nobody gets to complain that women are objectified in comics because of what they wear when I was raised on a steady diet of incredibly buff men wearing outfits that looked like they were painted on. That doesn't count mostly nude characters like Tarzan, John Carter, Conan, Hercules, and Martian Manhunter. (And don't even get me started on professional wrestling.)

Zach,

With SDCC less than two weeks away, are there any updates on Minimates that you guys will be bringing to your booth? I know the DST Store always sells Minimates, so are any new waves/box sets being released there? I was thinking of stuff that is supposed to release this month such as Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Aliens Dump.

I am so excited to finally be able to attend for my first time this year. I just want to buy more 'Mates!

I remember when the direct market action figure industry tried their hand at this in the 90's with every wank-title out back then. Didn't really do so well. Even saw a lot of them on a discount table at a toy show last month, with plenty of 90's dust still on them.

Putting aside product design, line collectability and source material, the entire marketplace was different back then. How many copies of X-Men #1A, B, C, D and E are out there? Doesn't mean they should stop publishing X-Men comics.

>>>>

To each their own, but this really seems like an unnecessary step backward for a company that just scored a major license at retail with TMNT.

Comic shops are our biggest customers after TRU. With Marvel and Skybound locked up and DC off the table, looking at some of the next-best-selling comic titles seems like a no-brainer.

Then why aren't you making Saga Minimates? Or East of West? Or the Valiant Universe? Or Hellboy, or Grendel, or any of the other long-running indie comics that people have been asking after for years( coughNexuscough)? And, yes, I'm sure in many cases the answer is "because they aren't interested". But Zach, you can't seriously argue that Grimm's Fairy Tales or Zenescope in general is a "next-best selling comic title". Here, courtesy of the Beat, is the most recent Indie Comics month-to-month sales chart:

http://comicsbeat.com/indie-month-to-month-sales-april-2014-oh-those-southern-bastards/

If you scroll waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the page into the 270s, you'll start to find the Zenescope titles clustered together. That's a pretty big gap from Marvel and Skybound.

BTW, I have made customs of Kamandi, B'wana Beast, and Flex Metallo, you know. happy.png

EDIT: After thinking about it, I realized that I'm putting Zach in an unfair position as the spokesperson for DST with my comments above. So, while I stand by them, I'll shut up about the topic and just wish you guys good luck.

Oh, I mean about Grimm's Fairy Tales. Nothing unfair about my DC beefcake customs.

Edited by hellpop

Well, technically, I didn't say that Grimm was the "next-best-selling comic title." I said it makes sense for us to look at SOME of the next-best-selling titles, and I said it in a conversation ABOUT GFT. And #278 sounds low, but I think that's pretty much top 100 for non-Marvel-or-DC. And the ranks above GFT are FULL of Minimated properties:

138. TMNT

157. Invincible

164. Tomb Raider

173. Star Trek

183. Thief of Thieves

204. Frankenstein

207. 24

246. Godzilla

268. Ghostbusters

274. Witchblade

The "Indie" titles on the list also include Hasbro-controlled licenses like Star Wars, G.I. Joe, Transformers and MLP, none of which are Minimates-possible, and some cartoon books (Regular Show, Adventure Time) that are not exactly Minimates-friendly. You've also got a lot of relatively new Image titles that, while good/popular, are not exactly widely known properties, may end after 12 issues, and may not be particularly toyetic.

Sure there are still some great properties on there: Valiant, Hellboy universe, X-Files, Mega Man, Judge Dredd... but it's not like we're going down a particular month's sales chart one by one and making a list. And not all of those are easy licenses to navigate, some being tied up in various media. (And I don't know where Saga would normally fall on the charts, but do the creators of Saga want Minimates? Do people who read Saga want to buy Minimates? Will Saga fizzle out by the end of the year? I have no idea.)

GFT just passed 100 issues. They're based on popular myths everybody knows. There's not a lot of merchandise out there. And yes, they were interested.

Sorry if my comments irked you, Hellpop. I love Nexus. I love Hellboy. I LOVE Saga. I was really only responding to the idea that a Minimate set that is not somebody's cup of tea is a step backwards from TMNT, a line that has not even come out yet and many here are already criticizing the look, format and line-up for. Everything big in the works is still in the works, this is not going to affect that OR keep a property you like from getting made.

Edited by DSTZach

I want a boxset devoted to buff guys, with sculpted muscles instead of blocks, and extra sculpts for the... bulge.

We can do Namor, Hercules, Weapon X Wolverine, and Swimsuit Thor as the anchor.

Weapon X Wolverine can be the anchor character with Ka-Zar replacing swimsuit Thor.

After all, if a swimsuit edition box set should be devoted to the the Marvel Swimsuit art.

My top wants would be: Thor, Black Panther, Colossus, and Dr. Strange.

Okay, so bottom line: Saga and Hellboy Minimates, let's get on those, right?

wink.png

I personally think Hellboy is a great idea, I have never asked Chuck what the likelihood is. He may have wanted the movie timing, and licensing got tied up. But maybe comic shop sales alone would carry it. Keep asking him in Ask DST. (He hates when I do that.)