UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC Exclusive Speculation

Chuck has said it in numerous Q&As, particularly at convention panels. And it's never seemed very true, for the reasons you mentioned. I tend to drag that up whenever a racy set like this is announced.

As with Tarot, Grimm's Fairy Tales makes me sad. To me, comic books like these represent the nadir of the art form, because they are juvenile and embarrassing. And it's not the sexualized content, but the childish depiction of women that, I think, really holds the industry back. I was just reading earlier today about David Finch being named the new artist on Wonder Woman, and he's exactly the wrong sort of artist to be drawing Wonder Woman. I want a Wonder Woman book that I can at least not be embarrassed to give my wife to read (like, say, Cliff Chang's Wonder Woman). If you want to get women to read comics (or, at least, mainstream superhero comics, since they already read comics), stop treating them like sexual fetish objects.

Sorry, I know that rant has nothing to do with Minimates. I just wish that I could get a Red Riding Hood or Alice Minimate that my daughter could play with alongside Tinkerbell.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd be surprised with how many people (especially women) will come into the store and ask about GFT. I've never picked up an issue to see, past grading older issues, but it seems like it's got a demand that isn't just skeevy guys in their 30s. Some girls see it as the bayonetta effect, in which a hypersexualized cast exists in a viewpoint of camp and silliness. I sell a few trades and issues of week of GFT fairly consistently, so there is ademand out there that we can't really comprehend. I don't judge itbased on the sexy part though, I just judge it on how tacky the covers and stuff can get, lol

If Chuck ever said that every Minimate set we make is intended for children, he either misspoke or was misunderstood. He may have said that they were all TOYS, and are therefore not held to the high price point that an adult collectible would be held to, but "toys" are made for a lot of adult properties nowadays.

And obviously, not all comic books are for kids, but I don't think that is holding the market back in any way. Our distributor is the biggest distributor of English-language comics in the world, and they know what sells. GFT is apparently very successful, and I am willing to bet cash money that the readership has a sizable female contingent. I am not a regular reader, but when the heroes and villains are both women, women are going to be interested.

And I haven't talked to any Grimm fans personally that I know of, but I know for a FACT that Tarot has a very large female following. The women who dress up like sexy comic book characters at conventions are not all there to pander to nerds, many of them are actually fans of the characters they dress up as.

When I get more GFT info, I'll let you guys know.

Bluntman and Chronic are comic-style. Outfits are different from movie.

Edited by DSTZach

Well, since minimates have neither T nor A, they may need some new top heavy tooling to fully translate the focus of the "comics". And then some larger stands to balance them out.

I remember when the direct market action figure industry tried their hand at this in the 90's with every wank-title out back then. Didn't really do so well. Even saw a lot of them on a discount table at a toy show last month, with plenty of 90's dust still on them.

To each their own, but this really seems like an unnecessary step backward for a company that just scored a major license at retail with TMNT.

Meh, nothing in this world will get me to buy a Kevin Smith anything, so i'm out lol

Meh, nothing in this world will get me to buy a Kevin Smith anything, so i'm out lol

What if it's Keven Smith dressed as all your favorite, unreleased and never-to-be-released-in-another-form X-Men?

I'm going to have to check out the GFT comics once and see what all the negativity is about. I mean it's no different than an R rated movie or M rated game right? If you aren't interested, that's fine, but it obviously has a fan base. It's not like it is Hentai or anything like that.

Well, since minimates have neither T nor A, they may need some new top heavy tooling to fully translate the focus of the "comics".

I've never read a GFT so maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem to me any different than Minimates of this:

pack0844f_lg.jpg

Hail Ivan!

I've never read a GFT so maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem to me any different than Minimates of this:

pack0844f_lg.jpg

Hail Ivan!

Chick on the top right makes me weep for the Nemesis Enforcer that will never come. sad.png

I remember when the direct market action figure industry tried their hand at this in the 90's with every wank-title out back then. Didn't really do so well. Even saw a lot of them on a discount table at a toy show last month, with plenty of 90's dust still on them.

Putting aside product design, line collectability and source material, the entire marketplace was different back then. How many copies of X-Men #1A, B, C, D and E are out there? Doesn't mean they should stop publishing X-Men comics.
To each their own, but this really seems like an unnecessary step backward for a company that just scored a major license at retail with TMNT.

Comic shops are our biggest customers after TRU. With Marvel and Skybound locked up and DC off the table, looking at some of the next-best-selling comic titles seems like a no-brainer.

Edited by DSTZach

What if it's Keven Smith dressed as all your favorite, unreleased and never-to-be-released-in-another-form X-Men?

I would avoid it like the plague.

Putting aside product design, line collectability and source material, the entire marketplace was different back then. How many copies of X-Men #1A, B, C, D and E are out there? Doesn't mean they should stop publishing X-Men comics.

>

Comic shops are our biggest customers after TRU. With Marvel and Skybound locked up and DC off the table, looking at some of the next-best-selling comic titles seems like a no-brainer.

Wait, they still make X-Men comics? :) To be fair, the last time I bought any comic in a shop was the last Y: The Last Man trade. (Which by the way still needs minimates…) I still visit there from time to time to see friends, but I can't say I've seen or heard anyone clamoring for GFT or any related titles. I'm probably just old.

You know what was really creepy? World War II.

1392801.jpg

Has anyone here actually read a GFT comic? Or are you all just looking at retailer incentive covers here? The set is not all "[insert name here] in Lingerie," it's depictions of how the characters appear inside the book. I'm sure someone wears a revealing outfit, like many empowered female protagonists, but probably not all of them.

Its less "Retailer Incentive" covers and more "All of their covers" lol. I put out like 4 covers of the same issue today alone (Part 3 of some crossover), each more revealing than the last. Plus their various tie ins or reimagining of other things, like Oz, Neverland, so on.

Even our back issues and trades of their first few issues show a consistency. Or their calenders, lol...

I couldn't care, really, cause they aren't the only ones nor do I find their work that obnoxious (though organizing their stuff has caused use to repeatedly repair the G drawer of our back issues due to the bulk of stuff that needs to fit in it, though DC is also at fault for their various Green Lantern: Subtitle Goes Here comics). For every GFT, there is just as much Executive Assistant or Fathom comics or some boring "sexy" variant from the big 2.

I'll take that over another Kirkman gore fest grim dark nonsense (Sorry, Outcast, lol.)

I'm sure someone wears a revealing outfit, like many empowered female protagonists, but probably not all of them.

What I want to know is--where are all the empowered male characters wearing nothing but leopard print Speedos and pasties?