UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC Exclusive Speculation

No interest in The Walking Dead set. I really don't know what the thinking is here. Unless DST is planning on offering a whole line of black & white 'mates, any new collectors they attract probably won't want the color versions any more than color collectors wanted the B&W Dale set that lingered for so long.

As for the Days of Future Past set, I tend to agree with other assessments. It's pretty weak. Mystique's belt should be sculpted and the loin cloth should be longer. The Sentinel might be comic accurate but it's a lame design and I, too, can't get excited about woefully out of scale Minimates. Kitty is okay but I hope she comes with an alternate head with a different expression. Logan looks good except for the coat, of course. I'll reserve final judgment on this set until I see a tray shot with all the accessories but at the moment, I'm in absolutely no hurry to add this to my collection.

What might have gotten Marvel collectors here more jazzed was a set of Days of Future Past MOVIE Minimates featuring Blink, Ice Man, and Kitty Pryde anchored by the suddenly popular Quicksilver. Throw in a Bolivar Trask "accessory" and I'm pretty sure you've got a safer bet.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I like con exclusives to be.

I'm glad I have them (and two sets, even for custom fodder), but it was a tad stressful having to get Bishop & Jubilee.

And the Thunderbolts. That was challenging.

I prefer this.

Leave the new characters to more easily attainable avenues.

All of our sets this year are designed for broad appeal, not collector completionism. I think I've even said that there were no new characters in any of the sets.

That said, I believe/hope that many collectors will like them a lot, even if it's only from a visual/design perspective, and not necessarily a team-building perspective.

Just putting that out there.

I'm glad I have them (and two sets, even for custom fodder), but it was a tad stressful having to get Bishop & Jubilee.

And the Thunderbolts. That was challenging.

I thought both of those were fairly easy to get for awhile after they were released, but maybe I'm misremembering. I actually think I procrastinated on that X-Men set with Jubilee for a few months before finally pulling the trigger and still getting it for retail.

Nice! What's the yellow peeking out from under Kitty's jacket?

Could that be the makings of a Sprite costume? I hope so! I do love that Kitty figure. I'm probably the only person whose favorite it is in the set. However, if this set is supposedly for broad appeal, I don't understand why we didn't get another Brotherhood figure that would likely appeal more to the casual buyer rather than "some girl" in civilian clothing.

Yeah, the photo pretty much confirms first impressions. Maybe it should be Days of Reuse Past?

This made me laugh more than it should. Also in regards to Wolverine, his pants are brown on the cover of the DOFP comic. If we're all about comic accuracy here (cough, Bobby Drake, cough), shouldn't the figure have brown pants instead of the blue?

However, if this set is supposedly for broad appeal, I don't understand why we didn't get another Brotherhood figure that would likely appeal more to the casual buyer rather than "some girl" in civilian clothing.

Well, broad appeal relatively speaking. Broad geek appeal. And broadly speaking, lots of geeks will recognize the cover to that comic issue, which this set alludes to. Many fewer will recognize, say, Avalanche or Pyro.

Kitty can fully transform into her green future jumpsuit. Yellow is her turtleneck collar.

Mystique comes with two extra heads: one Senator Kelly, one half-and-half.

Sentinel has a 2nd battle-damaged face, both have exposed circuitry on the back. Orange flight base.

10453969_252522114941531_635637507_n.jpg

1799808_331192630366115_805644231_n.jpg

And Karamazov is right, this is one of the most famous comic covers in the world. It has been imitated as many times as the Crisis cover where Superman is holding Supergirl, if not more. For instance:

The_Last_Generation_issue_1_variant_cove

I love the set and the variant (the variant is damned sexy, actually). I hope Luke can carry it.

As for the boxset, I really like the coat, despite it being "inaccurate" since it looks really nice and different from other lame coats by being a little longer.

Senator Kelly's face is a welcome addition and adds a new villain in a very easy to do way.

Mystique is awesome, and way better than the original.

The Sentinel is cool in a classic way, though I wish he came with a fireblast accessory. I love how many different sentinels we have now, which I like.