UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC Exclusive Speculation

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to buy them all, but overall everything this year at SDCC is looking average. Haven't seen one company blow me away with an exclusive.

I dig the DOFP set, but now I want to know what else it comes with so I know if I'm getting two or not?

I like the DoFP set. Mystique and the Sentinel are the clear winners. Kitty and Wolverine are very specific looks, so it's a bit disappointing that Wolverine's jacket is not correct. Especially since there several jackets that could have been reused.

Edited by Turtle

I think this set is being done due to the DoFP name carrying a bit more caché at the moment, but the storyline forces you to choose from a small group of characters who would make sense for the theme, and they just aren't that exciting. We're getting a new Sentinel in Wave 59, a Kitty Pryde who looks like a random civilian due to her attire, an older Wolverine when we're getting an older Wolverine in the DoFP movie wave, and Mystique, who looks good but is VERY similar to the previous one. For those who don't have the original, I'm sure this is welcome news, but I do, so other than the hairpiece being an improvement it's not that different from what I already have.

I'm not criticizing DST, the theme makes sense to appeal to casual buyers, but I don't feel the anticipation for this set like I do the GotG wave.

I reckon Mystique's inclusion has something to do with the movie, as well. But yeah, she looks pretty similar to the previous one. Sentinel is pretty different from the previous one, and I like it. Wolvie and Kitty aren't really exciting looking, no way around that, but they obviously wanted to go for the cover. Rick's coat wouldn't work, because it has a badge. It also doesn't have the fluffy part on the sides and at the bottom. At least it is an improvement over this, though:

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=91&n=DOFP+Wolverine

Yea.....I just don't get what DST is thinking these days when it comes to marvel. This should have been an awesome set. Instead it's full of bad choices (Logan's coat, future Kitty, mystique belt) and it's just blah.

I feel the same way. It seems like Marvel comics should be the main focus and see new stuff and innovation across the line. But it has been very neglected lately. And what we do get is all rehash. DST's handling of the comics line feels very much like Mattel's handling of a 90's Batman line... all repaints and little imagination.

Is the Marvel Minimates license about to be up? It just feels like DST is trying to get every penny out of the comics figures without doing anything new. That's usually a direction taken towards the end of a license.

The theme makes sense and I don't fault DST for the character choices even if I don't really care for human-size Sentinels, but the execution looks to be far short of what we've come to expect.

Rick's coat wouldn't work, because it has a badge. It also doesn't have the fluffy part on the sides and at the bottom. At least it is an improvement over this, though:

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=91&n=DOFP+Wolverine

Rick's coat wouldn't be accurate but I think it would be closer than what we're getting. At least at a glance it would look correct.

Edited by stack32

I don't really fault DST for this one. As hardcore collectors, many of us into figures because they look interesting or are somehow adding something new to what Minimates are, broadly defined. But these sets aren't targeting us so much. Walking dead re-releases, and DOFP figures associated with a recent movie seem to clearly be targeting more casual collectors. If the jacket stays, I'm sure it is a cost-saving move, which is also something you expect to see with con figures, though I would personally have preferred that they do this with a character I care less about.

Edited by karamazov80

I don't have Mystique so she is a welcome sight, I also quite like the sentinel. Wolvie is ok but Kitty is a big disappointment. She is one of my favorite X-men so I wish they would have done better on her.

Exactly what I feared the DoFP set would be. I'll probably buy the set though, because extra army builders never hurt anyone, Kitty can pass as a civvie mate, I still need a comic Mystique and Wolvie's going to the parts bin. Thing is, with such a storyline you don't have many character options. I myself would have added Blob instead of the Sentinel but oh well.

Here's the original Mystique we got 9 years in wave 11 .....

post-638-0-14237700-1402680448_thumb.jpg

.....just saying.

The WD set will be useful for those members with monochromacy who scan ebay every day looking for the coloured versions they missed originally at TRU .

Edited by buttheadsmate

Exactly what I feared the DoFP set would be. I'll probably buy the set though, because extra army builders never hurt anyone, Kitty can pass as a civvie mate, I still need a comic Mystique and Wolvie's going to the parts bin. Thing is, with such a storyline you don't have many character options. I myself would have added Blob instead of the Sentinel but oh well.

blob would have been great ):

I like the Sentinel. It looks better than the old one but I think I like the original Mystique better than this new one. It just doesn't look quite right to have the blue coloring on the torso block to the left and right of the white. Also, I feel bad for people that want to army build with the Sentinels. Buying 4-packs just for 1 specific guy is a tough pill to swallow.

Edited by MisterMiracle