UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC Exclusive Speculation

If it was blind bags, I wouldn't hate it but I don't think I'd love it either. Especially for Marvel, which is the line I collect most, even though I collect several. I will wait to see what it actually is.

I will say, if it is blind bags, I will certainly hope to see more diverse characters. If I have to risk buying even more A-Listers than I do now, I want the reward to be worth it. Just saying.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was blind bags, I wouldn't hate it but I don't think I'd love it either. Especially for Marvel, which is the line I collect most, even though I collect several. I will wait to see what it actually is.

I will say, if it is blind bags, I will certainly hope to see more diverse characters. If I have to risk buying even more A-Listers than I do now, I want the reward to be worth it. Just saying.

Agreed - i'd be hoping to see the kind of system Hero Clix uses. Big name characters to draw in the casual shoppers, with a lot of B, C & D listers to keep it interesting for collectors.

One is a license announcement/ComicFest reveal, and if they didn't announce it, or no one paid attention, I need to see if there is a more high-profile way to go about it. Preferably with art. It might be a bit early, too. It's kinda big news.

The other is something that's not necessarily going to be received with open arms by people around here, so I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to announce it. It's good for the brand, since it's good for sales to retailers and to draw in new fans, but some existing collectors may not appreciate it. And I really don't feel like shifting into super-defensive mode right now. I've been traveling since 4:30 a.m., and I'm almost home.

It's Hellboy, right? Right!?

I'm mostly curious as to what Zach was talking about us not accepting with open arms.

We took Plants vs Zombies pretty nicely, but its not a bad property.

Unless its something like Call of Duty (which I would take for more guns and soldiers lol), Angry Birds (ew), or something lame like MLP or something, I cant really think of anything,.

Yeah, and I don't see why retailers would have said "What we really want is direct rereleases of past figures that are outdated and which will drive down collectability/after market prices"

I mean, if that's what it is, fine. I've got some mates I'd be glad for a second pass at. I'm just saying it seems an unlikely request to me

Confirmed on AFX Facebook page; no SDCC exclusive Minimates. :(

It seems to me that AFX is shifting to high end figures and statues, that seems to be what they are promoting. Check out their Marvel Minimates section, only Thor 2 is listed. Same with Walking Dead, only Series 3.

I would guess re-releases of existing figures before blind boxes. . .

This is where I stand as well.

That's my guess as well. I really hope it's not blind bags. I can't wait to see what this new license is.

I hate blind bags. Sorry, but I like to know what I'm spending my money on and in an economy that's still struggling to recover, I think many consumers feel the same way.

Would it help get Minimates into other retailers? Sure. Would it give those new retailers a good experience with Minimates? We'll see. I'd just hate to grow the Minimates market only to see it quickly crushed because of the way the product was offered.

Single packs in clear bags? Fine. Blind bags containing figures that have already been offered? Doesn't bother me but good luck. New figures in blind bags? That's when I feel like my brand loyalty is being taken advantage of.

Here's the thing with blind bags. You have to do it really well to actually make it successful, for example Funko has been offering the blind bags of the horror movie characters lately. I bought several of them, and even though I've got a few doubles, I keep buying them because I want to get every single one. So that is a successful approach, because each one is desirable in its own way.

However, if you apply the blind bag approach to a property that has already existed prior to that, you run the risk of actually losing business. If they started doing blind bags of Marvel for example, and had a case of 24, with 12 characters but only 3 or 4 new ones, it could go one of two ways. If they made repeats but in new looks, that would work because completists would still want to get all of them, but if we had a set of 12 with variations like Captain America with slightly different shaped mask and Spider-Man with bigger than usual eyes, I'm not buying. I'll just go to eBay and get the few that I do want and skip the rest. I don't mind buying four two packs, even if some of them are redos, because I want to support the line. But I'm not going to buy a full case of blind bags to get three or four that I want, and end up with a bunch that I don't. So if you don't do it right, you can actually lose business instead of gaining. If you lose the long-term collector, you had really better hope that the casual collectors jump on board.

Some licenses I actually think that would be a good approach for, for example the Alien franchise, I think a lot of people might actually find that to be a successful approach because casual collectors would be excited just to get an Alien Xenomorph whereas it would give us an opportunity to get characters that might not be as exciting on their own, like the Nostromo crew, the Betty crew and so on. But for Marvel after almost 60 waves, I would be leaning much more towards skeptical. And I definitely do NOT want to deal with any of this 1/144 ratio nonsense.

I don't want to put the cart before the horse, we are all just guessing here, but if this is what they are thinking, I really hope they thought it through from all sides because I would hate to see this turn out badly, for them and for us.

IMHO *,the 'completists' amongst us will buy full-sets from secondary/tertiary sellers ,once you get to know blind-bag merchandising you will realise that this is the only way to go if the price is in any way reasonable . The market always settles after the initial frenzy & collectors soon communicate with fellow-collectors what in fact is going on with chases,secrets ,seemingly rare,common,blah,blah,blah . If the situation stays just like that then everything remains fine & dandy & everybody wins .

Then there's reality ........commons suddenly don't seem to be so common ,rarities aren't perhaps as rare as you have been led to believe,people army build 'non-army' type figures ,people start posting that they've got 2-3-4-5 of the figure you want/can't find,rational people get antsy ......it all goes tits up eventually.

I do too, but all the blind bags I collect were blind bag from day one. My hesitation to fully embrace the idea if this is what they are referring to, is because they would be bringing it into a property that has never had them before.