UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Collectibles' Batman the Animated Series 6" Figures

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about design its about proportions for me. The difference between TAS and TNBA Harley is basically the difference between Catwoman and Ivy. TNBA females were smaller, more nymph like than full figured woman. TAS were more......voluptuous. It's an animation style that does translate into sculpt.

The proportions of the female heads compared to their bodies in the newer designs were a bit crazy too.

I know it's a cartoon, but the head being as big as, or bigger than the torso is a bit of a no-no in my books.

TM2 Dinobot, on 19 May 2014 - 17:27, said:

I think The World's Finest 3 parter was some of the best the entire show had to offer. Right up there with Heart of Ice.

I also really like that episode, but I think it was transitioning away from the original B:TAS, which was really moody and visceral, into a more traditional cartoon that would exist in the same universe as the Superman Animated Series, and later the Justice League stuff. The pace and the storytelling was quicker and more condensed in a way (you could get more story into a given episode because you didn't have moody transition shots, and fewer slow paced dialog scenes), and though the stories were still often good, they had less. . .heart if that makes sense. It was sort of like comparing a classic jazz ballad by Miles Davis to a quick tempo bluegrass tune by Bela Fleck. Both are technically very good, both are great at what they aim to do, but both are also fundamentally different, and appeal to people in different ways. Edited by karamazov80

I wouldn't say hated is the right word. The episodes definitely aren't as rich; Bruce Timm has said that the budget was much lower then it was for B:TAS, so corners had to be cut. Personally, I prefer most of the New Adventures designs, and I'm glad we are getting that Batman first.

I don't hate it, but i don't love some of the designs. I'm not sure why Catwomans face was turned blue, and i think she looked a lot cooler in TAS - but perhaps that's just because it was the series i grew up with.

I'm not sure why Catwomans face was turned blue...

Probably because Burton turned her into a f@$#ing zombie.

Folks just loooove Pfeiffer's Catwoman and piss all over Berry's when, except for their "secret identities," they're the same bastardized concept. dry.png

I'll give Catwoman this: She's the greatest cat bugler in history, as she stole Black Cat's shtick and no one knew other wise.

This is Catwoman. A completely forgettable villain.

1996-AllenRowe-Catwoman.jpg

This is Black Cat, a complex (well, for bronze age Marvel woman, but that's another issue :/ ) character who would go on to be in every iteration of Spiderman for the next 35 years, with 4 stand alone series of her own, plus 3 multi-issue team titles.

BlkCatfh.jpg

And this? This is Black Cat no, no sorry, this is Catwoman, a whole TEN YEARS after Black Cat first started stealing hearts. But somehow, SHE ends up being the original! Thanks, Frank Miller.

Catwoman_0010.jpg

And yes, TNA Catwoman is stupid.

Gotta argue with you on that one TM2.

This:

116242d1376576847-review-mattel-batman-6

This is the look that subsequent versions of Catwoman took inspiration from, and this is the version of the character that prevented her from being forgettable. And it predates Black Cat by 13 years. More recent versions of Catwoman might have taken off of the success of Black Cat a bit, but there was precedent.

I don't remember Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman ever playing a game of basketball to a cheesy pop soundtrack or going up against an evil cosmetic corporation that melted Alex Borstien's face with their evil face cream.

My point being that you glossed over alot of the stuff that makes Halle Berry's Catwoman so effing bad. Cats bringing them both back to life is where the similarities begin and end.

TM2, I know you have a thing for the Black Cat, and that you're prone to hyperbole, but... come on. Catwoman was a cat burglar with sexual tension with the lead hero from her very first appearance in Batman #1 in 1940. She has always been one of Batman's most popular rogues, and no one would ever have described her as "forgettable". Marv Wolfman, Black Cat's creator, is very upfront that Catwoman was the basis for the character. And, if anything, adding the hardscrabble backround that Frank Miller and, later, Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke fleshed out moved her farther away from the Black Cat.

No offense, but you really don't know what you're talking about here.

tongue.png

I know she didn't start it, but Black Cat started off as a better character, while Catwoman spent a long time as a goofy 60's villain. And I'm not trying to start anything (I do like Catwoman) but it's just irritating when your favorite character isn't even known to exist, and is often mistaken for, and this is just me, an inferior character.

Like I said. Not trying to start anything.

Seriously though, I like that classic Catwoman design a hell of a lot more than the black leather kind of look, which is actually a bit mundane IMO.

36150504.jpg

It's all about how the character is represented, not the costume. Hell, look at the Joker.

• 1 month later...

Somewhat strangely, DC Collectibles announced the things they will be announcing at San Diego today. Among them: Wave three, with the Creeper (!!!), Killer Croc, Robin (presumably Tim Drake), and this lil' lady:

BMTAS.Harley_1.jpg