UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Collectibles' Batman the Animated Series 6" Figures

I don't remember Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman ever playing a game of basketball to a cheesy pop soundtrack or going up against an evil cosmetic corporation that melted Alex Borstien's face with their evil face cream.

My point being that you glossed over alot of the stuff that makes Halle Berry's Catwoman so effing bad. Cats bringing them both back to life is where the similarities begin and end.

Mousy low-level employee in a corrupted corporation where she discovers the evil boss' nefarious intentions. She's "killed" but is magically revived by stray cats. With her newfound sexy cat mojo (and some questionable fashion skills), she's bent on revenge. Now you tell me which Catwoman I just described.

It's. The same. Character.

They may do different things (because, hey, it's a different movie, kinda like how Superman Returns isn't exactly Superman: The Movie despite the undeniable similarities) but make no mistake; Halle Berry's Catwoman is Tim Burton's Catwoman. It makes perfect sense when you consider that a Batman Returns spinoff had been on WB head Jeff Robinov's plate since 1997 and was rushed to theatres only a year before the Bat-franchise was totally rebooted*.

MY point being that, while Pfeiffer's character was better received, she's a creation of Tim Burton. Had Berry's been named Selina Kyle and been placed in Gotham, she'd be just as authentic.

*Personally, I'd have used a Catwoman movie as a prologue to Batman Begins.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man-Bat comes with alternate wings, a pill bottle, and a tape recorder! Sweet!

Previews013_zpsf31ea608.jpg

I was just shocked that these new figures were coming with USABLE stands. My #1 concern about this line was how easily these would tip over and DCC actually addressed it! They've really made some major positive changes since Brewer left.

Edited by MisterPL

Oh, wow. That's an attractive stand; i don't even remotely understand how they're keeping this line at $25 between the articulation, the accessories, and now the stands. Man-bat's arms look awesome, too, but Ivy still takes the cake for me. What a great figure. Can't wait for the TAS version.

Ivy's taller than Robin?

I like the extra accessories but I'm afraid they're mostly going to end up in a bag somewhere. Even with extra hands I'm not sure how well they'll work in a display. As long as they get a few key ones right though I'll be happy.

I'm sure it is the hair. I suppose my impression of the relative sizes of the characters is that Robin still ought to be taller, but those two versions never appeared together so there wouldn't be any reference material. It does make me wonder if the BTAS and TNBA versions of characters might clash just enough that I'll want to put them in separate displays.

If it were me, I'd be displaying the two version separately. I like them both but I prefer the latter designs.

I've got almost all of Hasbro's figures and they're boxed away in the basement. Not sure I'm ready to invest in another line despite how attractive they look.

(And I just know that if this takes off, they'll end up offering Batman Beyond and JLU.)

Gosh i hope we see a TAS Poison Ivy. I love that this one comes with 'assorted chemistry bottles', but surely you'd have a plant come with her as well, or a vine of something plany?

I need Harley, Catwoman and Joker. I'm pretty sure Id only collect TAS if only to save money. Ivy is nice but the original design is so much better. Maybe theyre saving the plants for the second Ivy.

Im surprised at additional hands and the amount of accessories. This line is going to kill it at retail.

AFI has a big story about their Preview Night showing:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/new-dc-collectibles-batman-animated-series-sdcc14/

Included are photos of the aforementioned Baby Doll, Batgirl, and digital renderings of Penguin, Riddler, and BTAS Batman. In the article, Julius mentions that on display is Roxy Rocket's rocket! Yeah, it's the line of my dreams all right.

• 2 months later...

Yes! biggrin.png It's great to finally see all of those accessories. I'm not sure I like the translucent skin for animated characters, but it probably won't be a big deal in hand.

You can see Batman's batarang at the far right of this image. http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2014/10/NYCC-2014-DC-Collectibles-023.jpg

More pics here: http://news.toyark.com/2014/10/10/nycc-2014-dc-collectibles-display-140765

I only noticed Catwoman's, until the others were pointed out. They aren't that bad. I'm more irritated by the lack of kneebro joints; they have the perfect sculpt for a swivel pin.

They're still gorgeous though, and I love the hands and bases. Stunning line that I can't believe is even happening so they're all a buy.