UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TWD: Wave 4 'Bruce' ethnicity issue!?

Pete

Just been reading TWD Fall of the Governor novel and something came to light...

I think Bruce may actually a black man.

The book often describes him as just that, a black man.

fig1793flg.jpg

HAIL IVAN

Can't believe it passed approval if this is the case.

I thought maybe the novel got it wrong, as a it not necessarily obvious in the comic but looking into it further, it does refer to his ethnicity here...

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Bruce_Allan_Cooper

Edited by Pete

Was trying to edit my post and accidentally deleted it. I recently re-read the two Walking Dead compendiums and was comparing outfits and character likeness to the 'mates(DST has done a very good job so far) and I always thought he was Caucasian so I can understand if a mistake was made, but the link you provided does say he's African American. So karamazov is probably right, that he is most likely a lighter skinned African American.

Edit - Here's a link to the gallery of "Woodbury" Bruce http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Bruce_Allan_Cooper_Gallery He looks Caucasian in most all of the pictures to me so it's understandable why they made the 'mate Caucasian, but it is odd that he would be approved if he truly is African American.

Edited by Santos L Halper

Looking at those pictures... he looks white in some and black in others.

If a mistake has been made, I'd put it down to an oversight from Skybound.

Either approving wrong merchandise (minimates), inconsistent grey tones in comic not matching character description, or poor source material and approval of the novels content.

Gonna hit Robert Kirkman on Twitter for a definitive answer.

The wiki is user-generated, so it's not official, but it obviously references the novel.

I never read the novels, but I will admit to questioning his ethnicity when reading the comics, as it was not clear. I don't remember if we asked in advance, but once the Minimate was approved, any questions left my mind.

I think the pic linked on the first post makes him look African American. I also think the lack of a nose on Minimates may factor into this particular discussion.... Maybe those who approved the design only saw black and white concept art?

I guess Bruce isn't black nor white, he's gray.

Hahahahaha awesome way to look at it. Comics are so open to interpetation that it really doesn't matter. Just pretend its an alternate universe one if its not what you like!

All our concept art is in color. No point in getting approval on uncolored line art.

I'm assuming the book is incorrect, as it is likely only a single word that got missed out of thousands, while ours was a color picture that got approved. If McFarlane ever makes him, we'll know.

I never saw any shading on the guy in the comic, so he's light skinned no matter his declared race or ethnic background, mixed or otherwise, but you may need to ask Skybound.