UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 2014 Toys R Us Fan Poll Boxset

youbastards

My dream box set would be Thanos, Thane, IM and Ronan but I can live with it if the other two see the light of day. We are getting a Ronan now so it isn't that bad. At least it'll make the waiting part more bearable. I just hope that the IM/Ronan pack is part of a TRU wave , which complements an LCS comic Guardians wave. Here's how I'd do it:

LCS:

2008 Star Lord (since Modern Star-Lord is basically movie Star-Lord)/Vance Astro + static Cosmo

StarHawk/Modern Gamora

Charlie-27/Badoon

Martinex/Badoon

TRU:

Ronan/Godkiller IM

Yondu/Modern Rocket (fully poseable)

Adam Warlock (with Magus head)/Phyla-Vell

Gladiator/Modern Drax

That'd be swell......

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very surprised IM and Ronan didnt get the slots. Hulk an Cap I would expect have removable bits to look close to normalish so again no surprise. TRU gets 2 A players in the box and its prob the two they wanted, Thanos is on the rise public wise so really it was just a spin of the wheel for the last slot.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Thane & Cap received the least amount of votes w/IM & Ronan receiving the most. IF DST had every intention of releasing all 6, it would make the most sense financially to group the least requested figures w/more popular figures. Stores wouldn't move as many Thane/Cap sets as they would IM/Ronan sets. Stores don't want to be saddled w/unsold stock. Everyone might be complaining now, but a new bulked up Thanos is going to move boxests regardless of who else is in it.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Thane & Cap received the least amount of votes w/IM & Ronan receiving the most. IF DST had every intention of releasing all 6, it would make the most sense financially to group the least requested figures w/more popular figures. Stores wouldn't move as many Thane/Cap sets as they would IM/Ronan sets. Stores don't want to be saddled w/unsold stock. Everyone might be complaining now, but a new bulked up Thanos is going to move boxests regardless of who else is in it.

This is absolutely why they've grouped them the way they did. So, why even do the "Fan Poll" in the first place? We aren't choosing who gets made; we're just helping DST figure out how to make more money from us. Just rename it the "DST Marketing Poll."

I'm all right with the turn out of the fan poll. I was planning on picking up all of these figures anyway. Maybe with Marvel's new focus on Guardians of the Galaxy we can get an updated Nova Prime Richard Rider.

Seconded. I like the one we got, but the gold came out really early and the boots were not sculpted at all.

The amount of negativity I'm seeing towards the only 100% new character in this set is baffling to me.

I kinda get it. Most folks were expecting to get Ronan, who is a really important (to the cosmic side of Marvel) character and is also a classic one. Though I don't get how someone could completely pass this set. Our last Thanos is somewhat lacking and this one is excellent! Also, Thane is, as you said, an entirely new character who'd have had no hopes of getting made if he was not in the set. I'm not that thrilled about Cap, but modern Hulk is a fun design. If you want more Marvel comics stuff, shouldn't you support the ones they put out? Though if you have no connection to the characters in the set, then I get it. If you're an X-Men fan, maybe Cosmic mates isn't your thing and since most figs are updates, why get it?

The amount of negativity I'm seeing towards the only 100% new character in this set is baffling to me.

He's a plot device, calling him a character is being generous. And he has a very dull look. Negativity doesn't surprise me at all.

Well, I suppose when most of us say we want new characters we really mean "new characters that I care about at least a little." It seems Mr. Plot Device doesn't fall into that category for some people. Though as disappointing as it is I wouldn't accuse DST of manipulating the results or lying in the poll.

I guess I'm just surprised that people see Thane as the problem. I completely understand being disappointed about Ronan, but personally I was concerned that we'd end up getting Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America and Thanos in the box set, which would have been an infinitely lamer outcome. No pun intended.

Though as disappointing as it is I wouldn't accuse DST of manipulating the results or lying in the poll.

I could be remembering incorrectly and honestly don't feel like searching for the post. But, didn't Zach himself admit that the top vote getters in the Fan Choice wave were not the ones they decided to make, in some cases going with the runners-up instead? If I'm remembering wrong, I apologize.

If you make me wait for 7 months to get one new marvel comic character and it's Thane, I will not be happy. wallbash.gif

Especially after the lack of any other Marvel comic news from SDCC. If there was other releases to offset the lameness of Thane then I don't think people would mind as much.

But like a good little sheep I will still buy the set cause I want a modern/bulked up Thanos.

The problem is, if it had been Thanos, Hulk, Cap, and Iron Man, it would have been easier to accept that Ronan lost due to lack of popularity. However, because of thane winning, we all can make the assumption of him winning being something other than the fan votes.

Plus thane has like 2 comic appearances to Ronan's decades worth. Plus thane's existence proves Thanos is a rapist, which no one wants.

The problem is, if it had been Thanos, Hulk, Cap, and Iron Man, it would have been easier to accept that Ronan lost due to lack of popularity. However, because of thane winning, we all can make the assumption of him winning being something other than the fan votes. Plus thane has like 2 comic appearances to Ronan's decades worth. Plus thane's existence proves Thanos is a rapist, which no one wants.

Infinity did reset Thanos as a Bad-Guy again (which I don't really like), that's true (hopefully Starlin's Infinity Revelation undoes that). But if you read Thanos Rising you'll see that Thanos just slept around (maybe there were no space condoms powerful enough to contain his man-thing?). He had tons of kids with various women, since he became a space pirate as well at some point. I don't think it was ever implied that Thanos was a rapist, though it's been a while since I last read TR and Infinity.

Edited by Kostisfire

Or Thane won because he's a brand new character, whether people like him or not. I personally voted for him, Ronan, Thanos and Iron Man, and I wanted them in the order I listed. Maybe some people would rather get new characters that are obscure over the same A-Listers again and again. I understand they are necessary, but when given the opportunity to vote for what gets made, I'm voting for the new characters. I don't think it's some grand conspiracy. Don't forget that when we were voting on Wave 50 all of us agreed that Abomination and Apocalypse needed bulked up versions, but not many people chose them over the new characters.

I'm betting the results were manipulated but we are literally getting all 6. It makes most sense to pack the characters like this so there's no duds, but guys, we get ALL of them. I'm happy just knowing there's no leftovers.

I'm betting the results were manipulated but we are literally getting all 6. It makes most sense to pack the characters like this so there's no duds, but guys, we get ALL of them. I'm happy just knowing there's no leftovers.

Again, this hasn't been confirmed. Likely? Yes. But it's not set in stone.

I'm always leary of web polls because being a software developer I know how easy it is vote multiple times via scripts or the like. You have to create hoops to jump through to avoid that, like requiring a login and/or ip address filtering to name a couple. Most online polls just use a cookie to try to catch repeat voters so simply deleting the cookie is an easy work around. So anyone can skew a poll if they really wanted to.

My disappointment is really just in the amount of time we'll have to wait for 2 of my top 3. Wasn't there almost 9+ months between the AvX box set and the two pack of the losers?

Edited by Zylek

This is absolutely why they've grouped them the way they did. So, why even do the "Fan Poll" in the first place? We aren't choosing who gets made; we're just helping DST figure out how to make more money from us. Just rename it the "DST Marketing Poll."

And I'm ok with this. If these polls help gauge interest to determine which groupings/pairings would be the most profitable, so be it. The more money DST/retailers make, the more viable the line becomes. If the brand becomes stale, we're not going to receive ANY new characters.

I'm all right with the turn out of the fan poll. I was planning on picking up all of these figures anyway. Maybe with Marvel's new focus on Guardians of the Galaxy we can get an updated Nova Prime Richard Rider.

I buy everything Marvel regardless of how they are paired. Complaining about how a boxset doesn't contain the EXACT line-up you voted for is silly. We're all adults. We should realize that we don't always get our way in life.

If the set was Thanos (or Ronan), Hulk, IM, & Cap, people would still bitch because people would have to buy 3 existing characters to get 1 new character. You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't.