UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 2014 Toys R Us Fan Poll Boxset

youbastards

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Thane anything but a gimmick in the story? I like getting minimates of characters we haven't had before but the character still needs to be worthwhile. I'd rather have another version of one of the big guns (maybe even that atrocious Iron Man) than Thane.

I'd say give him time, with Thanos about to become huge in the mainstream world I suspect his son will grow in stature.

i'd guess he'll either come back big in Inhumanity (if thats still happening? happened? ??) or in Hickmans stuff since he doesnt tend to leave loose threads

It would be nice to see a 50/50 split between heroes and villains in this poll, but polls being what they are, it's not too hard to imagine the final shake out being Cap, IM, Hulk, and Thanos. With Ronan appearing in the GOTG movie this summer, one might assume he's a high-visibility villain choice for the "laypeople" doing the real moving of numbers in this poll, but one might also assume it's not going to be his face on the box. While new characters are fun, I think it would be an awful shame for Thane to make it in at Thanos' or Ronan's (or, IMHO, any of the three Avengers') expense.

I really hope the two losers still get made...

With Hickmans stuff jumping forward in time by like 8 months, we might see more of Thane (Not like I care, I dropped Hickmans New Avengers a month ago)

RTPfm2H.gif

i cant even process why one would do that

I'll sound off on Hickman:

I can appreciate what he's trying to accomplish. I can appreciate the long term plotting, the intricate layers of story,I can appreciate how much effort he puts into it, but I can't CARE about any of it. There's something about the characterization that just falls flat. You can see the parts moving. I do not think he's a bad writer. I do think he needs to streamline sometimes.

I heard a quote once that sums up his stuff better than I can "Hickman's work is a lot like a detailed spreadsheet somebody's accountant prepared for taxes, I can appreciate his much effort it took to put it together, but it's not something I want to read."

When I debate Hickman with his fans,I generally get those types of responses too. They appreciate his work instead of enjoying it. Almost like people who don't understand classical music saying they like it just because they know they're supposed to, instead of feeling an actual connection.

Edited by bigvis497

Lol k80

Bigvis, I couldn't agree more. Hickman's writing to me is like a less trippy Morrison. Some bits are interesting, sure, but by the time everything comes together into a cohesive story, I'm lost and have subsequently lost interest. I think the comparison to taxes is apt; I've gone with an engineering analogy in the past - You can hand me a new manual every month detailing how a different party of my car works. Some months I may understand, some I may even be enthusiastic about, but ultimately I could have driven the car just fine without ever even attempting to learn how my cruise control is wired.

I like Hickman's work well enough but I can see why others wouldn't. There's a certain dryness or narrative detachment to his writing that can be off-putting. Still, that make him only roughly fifty bajillion times better then Bendis. I read Age of Ultron last night and OH MY GOD is that terrible. Seriously may be the worst comic I've ever read. Hickman may overplot, but at least he plots!

You guys are so frakin tangental these days, let's try to keep it on topic or at least close please?

If you need to discuss worst comicbook or writer ever, make a new thread & hyperlink it! smile.png

T.

p.s. I am with K80... DK2 is the worst comic book ever!

Why is there such uncertainty about the other two coming out later? Zach said they will...

Thanos, Ronan, Iron Man, Hulk for me