UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 2014 Toys R Us Fan Poll Boxset

youbastards

The problem is, if it had been Thanos, Hulk, Cap, and Iron Man, it would have been easier to accept that Ronan lost due to lack of popularity. However, because of thane winning, we all can make the assumption of him winning being something other than the fan votes. Plus thane has like 2 comic appearances to Ronan's decades worth. Plus thane's existence proves Thanos is a rapist, which no one wants.

Infinity did reset Thanos as a Bad-Guy again (which I don't really like), that's true (hopefully Starlin's Infinity Revelation undoes that). But if you read Thanos Rising you'll see that Thanos just slept around (maybe there were no space condoms powerful enough to contain his man-thing?). He had tons of kids with various women, since he became a space pirate as well at some point. I don't think it was ever implied that Thanos was a rapist, though it's been a while since I last read TR and Infinity.

New Avengers #10 Infinity Tie In: "Dark things in dark places occurred... and an Inhuman Woman returned home with the Thanos Seed"

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of the chaps who voted for Thane. I wanted new characters, so that's who i went with.

I've suspected for some time that the polls were a good way to see who should be the 'Thunderbird/Jewel/Raza' slot ina a box set. The outcry after morg was chosen made me suspect as much. Having said that - i voted for Morg as well :P

So i'm always happy when the least likely character gets in and is carried by the more popular figures.

And in this case - i very much doubt that DST will pass up the opportunity to make Space Iron Man, so i'm pretty sure we'll see all the character options made. Just like we did with the AvX set. And the Heralds set.

What an unexpected result! Didn't think people would prefer Thane and another Captain America (but this time in space suit) over Ronan, which is completely new and a classic character, and Iron Man in one of this coolest armors... Anyway, good news that we'll eventually get them.

The problem is, if it had been Thanos, Hulk, Cap, and Iron Man, it would have been easier to accept that Ronan lost due to lack of popularity. However, because of thane winning, we all can make the assumption of him winning being something other than the fan votes. Plus thane has like 2 comic appearances to Ronan's decades worth. Plus thane's existence proves Thanos is a rapist, which no one wants.

Infinity did reset Thanos as a Bad-Guy again (which I don't really like), that's true (hopefully Starlin's Infinity Revelation undoes that). But if you read Thanos Rising you'll see that Thanos just slept around (maybe there were no space condoms powerful enough to contain his man-thing?). He had tons of kids with various women, since he became a space pirate as well at some point. I don't think it was ever implied that Thanos was a rapist, though it's been a while since I last read TR and Infinity.

New Avengers #10 Infinity Tie In: "Dark things in dark places occurred... and an Inhuman Woman returned home with the Thanos Seed"

I feel like taking that for "rape" is a BIT of a leap. Isn't sex with Thanos a dark thing, in and of itself?

...Though as disappointing as it is I wouldn't accuse DST of manipulating the results or lying in the poll.

I'm not sure if that was aimed at me when I asked "Did that many people really vote for Thane?" earlier. That wasn't intended to be some conspiracy theory about voting manipulation. I'm just genuinely suprised that someone that I've never even heard of and someone who doesn't have an interesting look made it to the Final Four. I dig the polls that DST does for these things but I'm always just completely shocked by the results. Sometimes I feel like the people voting on these aren't Minimate fans and aren't going to purchase these sets anyways so they kinda mess up the rankings. That'd be like the entire world getting to vote for the next US President even though it's not going to affect them since they don't live in the US. I don't know, I'd just really like a Ronan. He looks cool. :/

That'd be like the entire world getting to vote for the next US President even though it's not going to affect them since they don't live in the US.

The US President has no effect on the rest of the world? O_o

For the purpose of this argument...yes, haha. Let me try another example that hopefully won't lead into some republican/democractic debate. That's like Americans getting to vote for the next President/King/Dictator/Ruler in some other far away small country that has nothing to do with us.

Edited by MisterMiracle

For the purpose of this argument...yes, haha. Let me try another example that hopefully won't lead into some republican/democractic debate. That's like Americans getting to vote for the next President/King/Dictator/Ruler in some other far away small country that has nothing to do with us.

I completely understand what you're saying - was jsut being facetious :P

Oh that? It's when Black Bolt chats with the Illuminati, right? Yeah, I think taking it as rape is a bit of a stretch. Thanos is many things, but not a rapist.

Since the poll was promoted on Marvel.com and a bunch of other blogs, I'm sure that the thousands of votes that were cast included votes from people NOT on the Multiverse, which may explain why Thane, Cap and Hulk did so well, one being a powerful new character introduced in the story and the other two being cool new versions of globally popular characters. Also, people here have said they voted for Thane, Cap, AND Hulk, so clearly the appeal of those three is not a sign of dementia.

And saying that the people who DID vote for them are not going to buy the set is a big assumption. Even if it's correct in some cases, the idea that people are more likely to buy a set with characters they voted for and want to have doesn't seem that far-fetched. And the purpose of the poll is as much to promote Minimates as it is deliver fan-favorite characters.

Sorry if you don't like the results of the vote. Ronan and Iron Man will be in TRU 19.

Edited by DSTZach

Tentatively, but I think it still needs to be approved. Designs are, I believe, done, but one or two may change. I think people will be happy, unless there are sweeping changes.

That's awesome news! Feel free to drop by with updates whenever you fancy :P

Tentatively, but I think it still needs to be approved. Designs are, I believe, done, but one or two may change. I think people will be happy, unless there are sweeping changes.

Meaning you're dumping Iron Man for Crystal? yes.gif