UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Future Spider-Man Minimates?

Jatta Pake

okay but the point of Ultimate WAS to change everything about the canon characters and have some fun in the process, and fresh off the heels of Ultimatum, i was personally fine with a change up...

also am I the only person who couldnt stand Ultimate Peter?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a character of a new race, religion, creed, sexuality, ANYTHING, have the balls to make a brand new character. Batwoman was brilliant.

Batwoman was brilliant eventually. I love her but I'd argue the only thing new about the latest incarnation of Batwoman was that she was a lesbian. Sure, they changed the costume and tweaked her name from "Kathy" to "Kate" but if anything she was a long-awaited, post-Crisis reboot, not an all-new character.

(Of course that's all changed with the reintroduction of Kathy but still…)

Miles Morales greatest claim to fame: Not that he killed off the best Spider-Man in recent years (pre-Untimatium) but that he's half black, half hispanic, and possibly half gay! How insulting to the character that that is all people focus on. :/ That's like having Powergirl be a well rounded and interesting character, and not being able to get past the boob window. Or Batwoman being gay. I'm so glad we live in a culture where focusing on the characters takes precedent over physical characteristics.

Oh, wait...

I have no idea what point the post above is trying to make, what side of the argument TM2 is on, or what the argument is really.

My point is exactly what the other guys said. Characters should be exactly that: organic, story driven characters. Not a cash grab by the big 2 to try and garner some media attention. It always comes off as "We're still relevant! Oh, God we're still relevant! Please read us!"

Sometimes you'll get a writer that can make the character work. But they don't start off any less desperate. (IDW's Drift)

My point is exactly what the other guys said. Characters should be exactly that: organic, story driven characters. Not a cash grab by the big 2 to try and garner some media attention. It always comes off as "We're still relevant! Oh, God we're still relevant! Please read us!"

Sometimes you'll get a writer that can make the character work. But they don't start off any less desperate. (IDW's Drift)

Batwoman being gay works though, i think. Pre-52, when DC showed her backstory regarding the military and being kicked out for being a lesbian, i think that made for a really compelling story. That felt fresh and different, as opposed to say, Alan Scott, who was "just gay because go with it." It's also not really her defining her trait, it just works with her character. Granted, when Rucka started throwing a hissy fit because DC wouldn't let him marry her off, that started to irritate me; the marriage thing felt like Rucka pandering to like-minded individuals. But everything else felt pretty natural.

(I really like Batwoman...)

If you want a character of a new race, religion, creed, sexuality, ANYTHING, have the balls to make a brand new character. Batwoman was brilliant.

Batwoman was brilliant eventually. I love her but I'd argue the only thing new about the latest incarnation of Batwoman was that she was a lesbian. Sure, they changed the costume and tweaked her name from "Kathy" to "Kate" but if anything she was a long-awaited, post-Crisis reboot, not an all-new character.

(Of course that's all changed with the reintroduction of Kathy but still…)

Not totally "new" though; she was still a lesbian with Renee Montoya's Question in the 2006 52. I'd say a good 8 years and making it through a company reboot is pretty great for her. Granted, i never thought she was a "reboot" of the original Batwoman, like how the animated Mystery of the Batwoman one wasn't either.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

How did Miles Morales kill off Spider Man? What about Miles Morales being biracial is not organic? What makes you think he is half gay? That last question is serious. I never got that impression. Even if he was gay though why is that automatically a cash grab? Did Marvel market him as gay or biracial?

Are creators never allowed to change or update characters? Why are they not allowed to introduce new characters that reflect a different interpretation of an established character? Shit, SpiderMan is going in 50 years many with two or more monthly comics in production. Dont you think it will be boring if Peter Parker cant change or if a different character cant assume his identity? Nevermind that Peter Parker in the standard universe is still here. It was ultimate Peter Parker that died and some old school readers probably considered Ultimate Spider Man (Peter Parker) sacrilege from the start anyways.

As to the DC stuff I still don't understand your point or comparison. When comparing Batwoman being gay to Power Girl's character and/or cleavage, what two of the three are you comparing? Are you saying that being gay is a physical attribute of Batwoman? I honestly cant follow the way you built your last paragraph to understand your point.

As for me, I dont read DC but I have enough respect for Gail Simone as a writer to believe in her integrity. As for Miles Morales, I like him. Havent read him since the Galactus cross over event started though. The rest of the Ultimate Universe is too much of a mess.

How did Miles Morales kill off Spider Man? What about Miles Morales being biracial is not organic? What makes you think he is half gay? That last question is serious. I never got that impression. Even if he was gay though why is that automatically a cash grab? Did Marvel market him as gay or biracial?

Are creators never allowed to change or update characters? Why are they not allowed to introduce new characters that reflect a different interpretation of an established character? Shit, SpiderMan is going in 50 years many with two or more monthly comics in production. Dont you think it will be boring if Peter Parker cant change or if a different character cant assume his identity? Nevermind that Peter Parker in the standard universe is still here. It was ultimate Peter Parker that died and some old school readers probably considered Ultimate Spider Man (Peter Parker) sacrilege from the start anyways.

As to the DC stuff I still don't understand your point or comparison. When comparing Batwoman being gay to Power Girl's character and/or cleavage, what two of the three are you comparing? Are you saying that being gay is a physical attribute of Batwoman? I honestly cant follow the way you built your last paragraph to understand your point.

As for me, I dont read DC but I have enough respect for Gail Simone as a writer to believe in her integrity. As for Miles Morales, I like him. Havent read him since the Galactus cross over event started though. The rest of the Ultimate Universe is too much of a mess.

And readers like me who have stayed with Ultimate Comics for a while considered it sacrilege that they'd get rid of the last decent thing that the Ultimate U had left. I don't like Morales much, but part of that came from how attached I was to Parker. Yes the Death of Spider-Man was a good story to end him on. And I consider that story THE ending of Ultimate Spider-Man. Goodnight sweet prince and goodnight Ultimate Universe as I believe that Parker's death was the beginning of the last gasps of that side of Marvel.

Even for a MMMV thread this thing is seriously derailed.

I'm a little surprised looking at all those variations that so few of them have been updated recently. Considering the rate that we get Spider-Man I would expect some of them to be worked in more frequently.

Also, looking back at all the standard costume versions that have been made I'm a little surprised at how little they've been varied. Most of them are more or less Romita versions with an occasional more modern look in the mix. If we're going to get that Spidey so often it would be nice to have a little more variety of eye and spider style.

That would be great but it seems like the deck is already stacked against that since Marvel/DC love to send out their press releases every time it happens. They seem overeager to break their arms patting themselves on the back.

Okay, here we go:

Villains that we haven't got yet:

Silvermane

Molten-Man

Stegron

The Trapster

The Wizard (not a Spider-Man villain per se buthe hangs around in some of the same circles)

Tombstone

Hammerhead

Overdrive

Boomerang

The Living Brain

The Beetle (Abe Jenkins and Janice Lincoln)

Speed-Demon

Morlun

The Spider-Slayer (Alistair)

The Black Tarantula

Carrion

The Jackal

The Crime Master

Goblin Knight

Grey Goblin

Grizzly

Jack O'Lantern

Mister Fear

Puma

Shriek

Spot

Spidercide

The Tinkerer

White Rabbit

Vermin

Will'O Wisp

Scarecrow

Crime Master

Man-Wolf

Swarm

Stunner

Spider-Slayers

Female Ock

Venom 2099

Villains in desperate need of an update:

Vulture (either classic or the new black and red one)

Chameleon (needs no explaination)

Hobgoblin (again, same as the Chameleon)

Hydro-Man (the new costume looks sick and we could get some awesome water bases)

Villains that could use an update:

Kraven (sculpted vest)

Shocker (the new costume)

Scorpion (the new costume)

Mysterio (the new costume)

Supporting Cast:

Robbie Robertson

Betty Brand

Flash Thomson

Mary Jane Watson

Uncle Ben (comic version)

Phil Urich

Ben Urich

Norah Winters

Glory Grant

Harry Osborn

Ned Leeds

Ganke

Lyla (Miguel's Hologram)

Felicia Hardy

Anna Maria Marconi

Jay Jameson Sr

Carlie Cooper

Captain Watanabe

Liz Allan

Normie Osborn

Spider-Minions

Other heroes with a relationship to Spider-Man:

Kaine

Ben

Black Cat

Silver Sable

Aracely

Spider-Girl

Prowler

Sun-Girl

Madame Web

Non-Classic Villain Versions:

Ultimate Green Goblin

Ultimate Hobgoblin

Ultimate Prowler

Noir Chameleon

Noir Goblin

Noir Vulture

Smythe upgraded Vulture, Scorpion and Boomerang

Ends of the Earth Ock

White suit Ock

Ends of the Earth Rhino

Ultimate Ock

Remaining Spider-Man (and Spider-Clones) costumes:

Updated Iron Spider

Noir

Kaine Scarlet

Ben Scarlet

Ben Spider-Man

MacFarlane Spider-Man

Ends of the Earth

Bag-Man

Superior with the tentacle-spider legs things

Secret War

Manga

India

Hornet,prodigy,Dusk,Ricochet

Spider-Thor

Spider-Hulk

Spider-Lizard

Spider-Ham

Man-Spider

Earth X

Spider-Armor (could use some sculpted parts)

Ultimate

What I'd like to see and how i'd pair it:

Spider-Man 2099/Venom 2099

Ultimate Ock/Ultimate Spider-Man

Hobgoblin Kingsley/Ben (Spider-Man)

Black Cat/Vulture

Mr Fear/Daredevil

Kraven/Scarlet Kaine

Kaine (regular)/Stunner

Ben Scarlet/Jackal

Noir/Noir Chameleon (him and 616 are pretty much the same)

Tombstone/Beetle Janice

Shocker/Boomerang

Overdrive/Speed-Demon

Earth X/Earth X Venom

Iron Spider/Trapster

Morlun/Battle Damaged Spider-Man

Silver Sable/Secret War

Ben Scarlet/Jackal

Jack O Lantern/Spiky armor Flash Venom

Scarecrow/Updated Danny Ghost Rider

Prowler/Crime Master

Ultimate Ock/Female Ock

Mary Jane/Manga

Robbie/Hammerhead

Ben Urich/Phil Hobgoblin

Beetle Abe/Living Brain

Spidercide/Carrion

Titannia/The Wizard

Spider-Minion/HAMMER Agents (Norman Osborn and all)

Harry Osborn (in American Son armor)/Grey Goblin (Gabriel)

Also, a Slingers Box Set

I know that some of these don't make that much sense but oh well, a man can dream.

You're missing Shriek & Doppleganger.

And readers like me who have stayed with Ultimate Comics for a while considered it sacrilege that they'd get rid of the last decent thing that the Ultimate U had left. I don't like Morales much, but part of that came from how attached I was to Parker. Yes the Death of Spider-Man was a good story to end him on. And I consider that story THE ending of Ultimate Spider-Man. Goodnight sweet prince and goodnight Ultimate Universe as I believe that Parker's death was the beginning of the last gasps of that side of Marvel.

That seems like a valid reaction to the death of ultimate Peter Parker, and I can see why that would turn you off of whatever character replaced him but I dont see how Miles' race or sexuality factors into the discussion.

I am happy to let writers artists and creative types take chances. Without chances or reinterpretations of characters there is no ultimate Peter Parker.

My last post on the subject

Great list Kostis. Ones I'd most like to see would be Puma and Prowler along with classic Beetle, Speed Demon, Boomerang and Jack O Lantern. I'd also like to add Demogoblin, The Rose, Rocket Racer and Tri-Sentinel. Not that it's likely some of these would be made but still. Some of these could come out awesome.

Would gladly buy just about every two-pack you mentioned.. most wanted combos would be Scarlet Spider/ Jackal, Jack O Lantern/ Venom and GR/ Scarecrow.

Apollo and Midnighter is definitely the way to handle these kinds of issues IMO. That never felt like a gimmick to me.

Edited by karamazov80

Okay, here we go:

Villains that we haven't got yet:

Silvermane

Molten-Man

Stegron

The Trapster

The Wizard (not a Spider-Man villain per se buthe hangs around in some of the same circles)

Tombstone

Hammerhead

Overdrive

Boomerang

The Living Brain

The Beetle (Abe Jenkins and Janice Lincoln)

Speed-Demon

Morlun

The Spider-Slayer (Alistair)

The Black Tarantula

Carrion

The Jackal

The Crime Master

Goblin Knight

Grey Goblin

Grizzly

Jack O'Lantern

Mister Fear

Puma

Shriek

Spot

Spidercide

The Tinkerer

White Rabbit

Vermin

Will'O Wisp

Scarecrow

Crime Master

Man-Wolf

Swarm

Stunner

Spider-Slayers

Female Ock

Venom 2099

Villains in desperate need of an update:

Vulture (either classic or the new black and red one)

Chameleon (needs no explaination)

Hobgoblin (again, same as the Chameleon)

Hydro-Man (the new costume looks sick and we could get some awesome water bases)

Villains that could use an update:

Kraven (sculpted vest)

Shocker (the new costume)

Scorpion (the new costume)

Mysterio (the new costume)

Supporting Cast:

Robbie Robertson

Betty Brand

Flash Thomson

Mary Jane Watson

Uncle Ben (comic version)

Phil Urich

Ben Urich

Norah Winters

Glory Grant

Harry Osborn

Ned Leeds

Ganke

Lyla (Miguel's Hologram)

Felicia Hardy

Anna Maria Marconi

Jay Jameson Sr

Carlie Cooper

Captain Watanabe

Liz Allan

Normie Osborn

Spider-Minions

Other heroes with a relationship to Spider-Man:

Kaine

Ben

Black Cat

Silver Sable

Aracely

Spider-Girl

Prowler

Sun-Girl

Madame Web

Non-Classic Villain Versions:

Ultimate Green Goblin

Ultimate Hobgoblin

Ultimate Prowler

Noir Chameleon

Noir Goblin

Noir Vulture

Smythe upgraded Vulture, Scorpion and Boomerang

Ends of the Earth Ock

White suit Ock

Ends of the Earth Rhino

Ultimate Ock

Remaining Spider-Man (and Spider-Clones) costumes:

Updated Iron Spider

Noir

Kaine Scarlet

Ben Scarlet

Ben Spider-Man

MacFarlane Spider-Man

Ends of the Earth

Bag-Man

Superior with the tentacle-spider legs things

Secret War

Manga

India

Hornet,prodigy,Dusk,Ricochet

Spider-Thor

Spider-Hulk

Spider-Lizard

Spider-Ham

Man-Spider

Earth X

Spider-Armor (could use some sculpted parts)

Ultimate

What I'd like to see and how i'd pair it:

Spider-Man 2099/Venom 2099

Ultimate Ock/Ultimate Spider-Man

Hobgoblin Kingsley/Ben (Spider-Man)

Black Cat/Vulture

Mr Fear/Daredevil

Kraven/Scarlet Kaine

Kaine (regular)/Stunner

Ben Scarlet/Jackal

Noir/Noir Chameleon (him and 616 are pretty much the same)

Tombstone/Beetle Janice

Shocker/Boomerang

Overdrive/Speed-Demon

Earth X/Earth X Venom

Iron Spider/Trapster

Morlun/Battle Damaged Spider-Man

Silver Sable/Secret War

Ben Scarlet/Jackal

Jack O Lantern/Spiky armor Flash Venom

Scarecrow/Updated Danny Ghost Rider

Prowler/Crime Master

Ultimate Ock/Female Ock

Mary Jane/Manga

Robbie/Hammerhead

Ben Urich/Phil Hobgoblin

Beetle Abe/Living Brain

Spidercide/Carrion

Titannia/The Wizard

Spider-Minion/HAMMER Agents (Norman Osborn and all)

Harry Osborn (in American Son armor)/Grey Goblin (Gabriel)

Also, a Slingers Box Set

I know that some of these don't make that much sense but oh well, a man can dream.

You're missing Shriek & Doppleganger.

Shriek's in there. Doppelganger is the one I'm missing.

We have a Todd McFarlane Spidey, don't we? The Torment one?

Yeah, but he could use an update. The eyes just aren't big enough to be a true MF Spidey.

Great list Kostis. Ones I'd most like to see would be Puma and Prowler along with classic Beetle, Speed Demon, Boomerang and Jack O Lantern. I'd also like to add Demogoblin, The Rose, Rocket Racer and Tri-Sentinel. Not that it's likely some of these would be made but still. Some of these could come out awesome.

Would gladly buy just about every two-pack you mentioned.. most wanted combos would be Scarlet Spider/ Jackal, Jack O Lantern/ Venom and GR/ Scarecrow.

I tried to add the most well known characters, otherwise we'd be here all day. I myself would love a superior foes box set with a complimentary two pack, updates of the remaining sinister six and the 2-packs you mentioned the most. I just want a 2099 and Kaine DST, how tough is that?

Well I feel like given the fact that 2099 is getting his own series this year, the chances of getting him are pretty high!

I demand a 2099 wave!

Tiberius Stone/Spider-Man 2099

Venom 2099/Liz Allen

Normie Osborn/Hipster Gang Dude(read the backup of Amazing 1)

Goblin Gang Dude/Spider-Slayer

And everyone is happy! Three army builders, 4 new characters and one much needed redo!

I really want to build an army of Spider Minions.

3198774-photo.png

Me too man, me too.... A Superior wave is practically forming itself! Known villains, army builders, supporting cast, needed redos, more spider-man costumes, it has everything!

Edited by Kostisfire