UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Godzilla movie

Lurch77

This is the most anticipated film of the year for me. I can't f**king wait. Midnight IMAX, and I've only done that for a VERY select couple of films that I had extremely high anticipation for. (And one that I just kinda did because I could and I don't regret it at all.)

Edited by Trekker 42

I watched Godzilla VS Mothra last night and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Any suggestions which I should watch next, currently limited to Netflix:

• Godzilla: The Complete Series 1998
    Godzilla's Revenge 1969
    Godzilla vs. Monster Zero 1965
    Godzilla Raids Again 1955
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters 1956
    Terror of Mechagodzilla 1975
    Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster 1964

I watched Godzilla VS Mothra last night and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Any suggestions which I should watch next, currently limited to Netflix:

• Godzilla: The Complete Series 1998
    Godzilla's Revenge 1969
    Godzilla vs. Monster Zero 1965
    Godzilla Raids Again 1955
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters 1956
    Terror of Mechagodzilla 1975
    Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster 1964

Oh no doubt Ghidorah and then Monster Zero. King of the Monsters is a good choice unless you can find the original Japanese version because frankly that one is just so much better.

Don't even f**king bother with Revenge without friends and booze.

And better. Kaiju battles. Fire breathing. It's got a similar conceit to the old "UP FROM THE DEPTHS 30 STORIES HIGH" Godzilla cartoon where some scientists keep getting into stupid situations and can more or less point Godzilla like a bullet and shoot him at big things to kill except Godzooky doesn't exist and the team isn't a bunch of awful assholes. There is a Monster Wars Trilogy where they do their take on Mechagodzilla which is kinda cool, but you gotta remember this came before Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla which did pretty much the same thing.

Also if you can get your hands on the 1990s era of Godzilla, the Heisei era, it has what I consider to be the definitive versions of certain Godzilla monsters. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (1991) is maybe the finest example of a Godzilla vs. film out there, and Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth (Japanese name Godzilla versus Mothra) is fanf***ingtastic. Some consider Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II to be the best out of the Heisei era but I don't think it quiiiiite compares to Ghidorah. Still amazing though.

Are you actually arguing the merits of the 1998 Ferris Bueller's Monster Mash Godzilla around a group of Classic Godzilla fans?

Good luck with that.

However in case I'm misreading this, yeah. It's a movie tie-in tv series that was far superior to the actual film. It's like Kaiju fans created the series instead of, yaknow, Roland Emmerich.

Edited by Trekker 42

All I know is that Godzilla seems to have put on some weight. You'd think he'd look slimmer since hitting Hollywood but no. He's super-sized.

LOL! As I was reading your post, I stumbled across this article on another page I was reading at the same time. What were the chances?

"He's not fat!"

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Minor spoilers

bNSwKig.gif

okay so I just saw Godzilla last night

initial thoughts: fun enjoyable film, the kaiju element is used as a slow burn, it pays off but it still feels a little slow getting there.

the imagery is gorgeous, not quite as fun/thought out as Del Toro but there are some magnificent money shots that look painted

the monster

Godzilla is. Thats the best part of the film, this is the Godzilla we want to see, the one we know and love from the original films of his namesake, he moves, acts and fights like a real Godzilla should.

The Muto’s were actually pretty great monster designs in themself, it very much felt like new-age vs classic which worked for the story and the theme of the film.

The people were the most lackluster part, and to be fair, they have to compete with monolithic creatures duking it out, but their story and motivations didnt always make a whole lotta sense, and while Cranston gave a great performance, it was surprisingly short. Ken Watanabe stole the show for me as he felt like a character straight out of the original films in a cheesy but satisfying way

overall i’d give it a 7/10, it was a very enjoyable film with some scenes that made me want to give a standing ovation to the king of monsters, but the human element doesnt quite live up to its scaly counterpart

Edited by undeadpool

MILD SPOILERS AHEAD

I just came back and I have to say that it kinda sucked. Let me explain:

MILD SPOILERS AHEAD:

The plot: Everything you've seen in a monster movie is here. Every cliche you can imagine is right here. From the "protagonist-who-miraculously-survives-anything" to the "nobody-listens-to-the-scientist" part. I especially hated three things:

1)The fight teasers. "Oh look, shit's about to go down! Whoops, sorry, guess we have to return back to our soldier on his quest to move bombs!". I f-cking hated those.

2) "The 'Murican way". Can we just get a movie where a US general listerns to the scientist and doesn't resort to nukes? Can we just get a damned movie where the plot doesn't go like this:

a)Threat emerges.

b)Americans try to take it down with normal weapons.

c)It won't work.

d)Scientist gives them the solution.

e)US general decides to use nukes.

f)Nukes don't work.

g)Scientist and friends save the day.

3) "Our hero". So let me get this straight: You've been trying to nuke Godzilla since the '50s. Ken tells you that Godzilla is trying to help and you attack Godjira again. And then you cheer and clap for him? What kinda logic is that? The guy came in, destroyed the whole darn planet in his quest to maintain balance and you proclaim him the savior of your city? It both makes sense (he DID, indeed save the world....) and doesn't make sense (..but only after destroying a buttload of cities). I'm not saying that Zilla wasn't the hero, he damn sure was, but it's just the people's reaction that bugs me. It just came off as incredibly cheesy.

The characters: Ken has little next to nothing to do, Cranston is in it for a really short time and Aaron & Olsen are boring old cliches.

The monsters: The only saving grace of the film are the monsters, who while awesome, are reduced to just walking around for a bit, getting shot at and then dissapearing, before getting into split-second fights with Godzilla. Godzilla is in it for a really short time as well, but he is sooooooooo awesome! The final fight scene is especially cool and while not worth all the build up, it's pretty darn great!

Overall, a 5-6/10 movie. I have no interest in seeing it again or the sequels if they follow the same pattern. One other gripe i have is that it ended far too abruptly. The morning comes, Godzilla wakes up, sinks into the sea and BOOM! roll credits!

PS: One thing that I should note is that the theater was full in the midnight showing. For a small town in Greece, it's quite a feat for a movie to attract such an audience and especially at such time.

I give this movie a solid C

Not enough Cranston or Watanabe for my taste. Also I thought I was paying for monster movie not a madcap mishap movie about a marine just trying to get home and the crazy shenanigans he gets into along the way.

...so are we all just going to ignore the fact (Marvel Cinematic Universe, not X-Men:DoFP) Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch make out in this movie? Because that seems like a thing people aren’t mentioning right now but I know is going to be a f**king macro gif meme when A2:AoU comes out so maybe we should just talk about it now and get it out of our systems...

Been a fan of the series for a while and this one paid the hell off for me.

Suck a dick Emmerich, THIS was the King of the Monsters.

I left it happy and sated but still not ready to let the monster go. I want more. I want to see this Godzilla again. And I want to see Serizawa again. The soldier boy I can give or take, but he served a good purpose in this film.

I actually liked the Mutos a lot more than I expected to. The fight between them and Godzilla was something like seeing him fight both Mothra and Gigan at once and that was pretty cool.

As for the Kaiju fight cockteases, I kinda get why they did them. They held off on Godzilla and the Mutos really beating the pissvasser out of each other until very late, but also gave the fight a sense that it went on for a very long time. It kept the actual fight we saw fresh and every move that the kaiju made in that scene was just so cool and new and never really repeated itself. Whereas if it had constantly stayed on the fight, they'd have run out of ways to hurt large things by the end.

Anyone else freak the hell out when he used the fire breath? 'cause all of my friends and I did. Even the one who saw her first older Godzilla film today.

Overall, solid film. Paced very similar to the 1954 Godzilla and had so many cool fights. And the perspective which generally kept showing the fight as it would be seen by the spectators in the film, added to the massive battle by never making it seem small. This was a big ass movie and it kept itself so.

Saw it last night with my 13-year-old daughter. This was her first Godzilla movie and she loved it. She was sitting next to a couple old enough to have seen the original and enthusiastic enough that I'd bet money on it. They loved it, too.

[rant]

I wanted to see it in IMAX 3D immediately after seeing the first trailer, avoiding subsequent trailers and TV spots in the hopes of experiencing as much as I could on the big screen, just like God(zilla) intended. So I was pretty fucking pissed when a goddamned Fiat commercial showed up before the movie, totally spoiling the creature's big screen debut for me. Go to hell, Fiat marketing department. I'll never own anything your brand tries to sell me.

[/rant]

That aside, I enjoyed it. The plot was as formulaic as I'd expected, the visuals kept my attention, and the audio blew me away, but Godzilla's first hero shot was exactly what I wanted it to be. There were a couple cheer-worthy moments but the majority of my audience was too restrained to let their inner-kids come out. Well, except for the elderly couple seated next to my daughter. :)

This was the first Godzilla movie I have ever seen and I really enjoyed it. I can understand people who complain that the movie skewed more towards the human actors, but I have a soft spot for Bryan Cranston, Ken Watanabe, and Pierce Patchet from LA Confidential. I probably will start checking out some of the older movies since they are on Netflix.