UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Free Comic Book Day

pappymojo

Totally forgot we were so close! I took my daughter with me last year and we had a blast, so I will probably do that again. Personally, I don't care about the free comics (most of the non-kid ones end up in the recycling bin), but I'm glad to get some new comics to add to her collection.

Edited by hellpop

My 5 yr old would love this but we'll be traveling out out to OBX for a family vacation. Oh well.

Well, nephews and niece came in from out of town, so we headed over to the local comic shop for free comic day. There was a line outside, where folks couldn't enter the store until previous people left, and the line was moving slooooooow. Problem is that the comic shop here is ridiculously small, so I guess many folks can't fit inside. Anyway, outside they had boxes of 50 cent comics for sale. In order to save us an hour or so of waiting for the crappy free comics, I just bought all the kids a 50 cent comic and we went for ice cream. Kind of lame that free comic day would be difficult and frustrating, since the whole point as I understand it is to get kids interested in comics.

Well, nephews and niece came in from out of town, so we headed over to the local comic shop for free comic day. There was a line outside, where folks couldn't enter the store until previous people left, and the line was moving slooooooow. Problem is that the comic shop here is ridiculously small, so I guess many folks can't fit inside. Anyway, outside they had boxes of 50 cent comics for sale. In order to save us an hour or so of waiting for the crappy free comics, I just bought all the kids a 50 cent comic and we went for ice cream. Kind of lame that free comic day would be difficult and frustrating, since the whole point as I understand it is to get kids interested in comics.

This is the way fcbd has been going recently, I have been skipping it for the last two years now, the juice is never worth the squeeze, the comics aren't that great, and to my knowledge they have stopped the decent Heroclix given. Pass, I usually don't like crowds anyways

I haven't gone in years, but it used to be that most of the free comics weren't even full comics anyway, but glorified advertisements, usually parts/halves of comics. Assuming that's still the case, I don't think we missed much. But then, I wasn't going for myself, but for the kids. Our old local shop that went out of business would also given away random older comics, though (stuff they were selling for 50 cents today), which was nice.

Edited by karamazov80

I went along. I live in a small capital city (about 300,000 people) and FCBD certainly attracts a big crowd, but i can ususally get in, get my swag and leave pretty quickly.

Last year they had a couple of artists doing sketches, which was cool. I got myself a Shatterstar sketch by David Yardin :D

But i didn't fancy waiting in line for two hours for a sketh this year, so i just picked up my standing order and a couple of freebie comics.

My LCS broke all previous attendance and sales records this year so FCBD is doing its job. Hopefully they got some new regular customers as well.

Free face painting, pro sketches, costumed characters, and modestly discounted merchandise made it a success locally.

We had a good time at our LCS, my kids got a lot of stuff and had a blast. We also capped off the weekend at the Durham Bulls Star Wars Day game and my kids got picked to dress up as Mini Wool E in Ewok costumes and dance around the field with him (

, my daughter is the one right behind Wool E).

post-28-0-41451700-1399385963_thumb.jpg