UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

C2E2 Chicago 2014 Pics & Discussion

Firstly,I didn't know about the exclusive Zach was handing out, and while I thanked him for it ( he even offered my 2 year old son one but I didn't want to shorten the supply available to the rest of you ) I am sitting with it at home and have realized I do not collect blanks, and having one is bothering me. I think I am willing to part with it for specific mates, or the ever weakening dollar. Message me if anyone is still looking.

Maybe you should just offer to send it another member for the cost of shipping? Seems a little tacky to use something made for this specific forum as trade fodder when you know there are plenty of others who would cherish it.

YB beat me to it. I agree with him. If it was a regular released blank for the con it would be a different story. This was such a great thing for DST to actually make a Minimate Multiverse minimate giveaway in the first place, using it as trade bait is disappointing. This is just my opinion, you can do whatever you want with it. Like YB says, there are plenty who would have loved to been there to get their own free handout, but couldn't make it for whatever reason.

Like the Bombermate before it, Im sure some will end up getting "sold", lets just hope there isn't an elaborate deception this time involving people making their own and passing them off as real....

Im sure Shane will distribute those that remain fairly, or I'll cry at not having one myself :P

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some Q&A stuff:

- ask DC. ;)

- Pathfinder is still happening, there were some design changes. First box set will be a Goblin, Elf, Dwarf, Human if I recall correctly.

- Chuck is surprised Disney Store hasn't asked for more Minimates, none in the works right now. Peter Pan was produced because DS wanted a quick turnaround product to support the Blu-Ray release, Chuck wasn't concerned about the discounted prices as he stated was common for DS to want to clear space for new product.

- Battle Beasts Series 2 preorders have underperformed, looking for a new way to get the Series 2 figures out, they likely won't ship as currently solicited.

- Chuck answered 'no' to Kickass Minimate possibilities.

- I asked about 'thwip' hands and new web accessories for Spidey, they wanted to do more for ASM2 but didn't have time. Possibility down the road, but it sounds like Chuck definitely prefers the more basic design. I think he said it was marketing that has really pushed the alternate looks and more detailed sculpts.

- Vehicles for Marvel came up again, not possible due to Hasbro. Chuck wasn't sure why they were able to make the goblin glider, but joked 'when mom says it's ok, you don't question her' or something along those lines. I asked about a possible sculpted motorcycle stand for Ghost Rider where you just put the chest block on the bike. He doesn't have much faith in GR as it is the only Marvel line he has had to cancel, but didn't sound like he wanted to push the issue 'since mom just let him make the glider'.

- Tomb Raider sounds like it is done.

- No immediate plans for a box set of Marvel's obscure stuff, but Strange Tales did well.

- Chuck mentioned Wolverine doesn't quite have the clout he once did.

- No other Skybound stuff in the works, but they are trying to do something more with Invincible.

I'm sure there was more, Delta's video should have it when he makes it available.

A few tidbits from outside of the panel:

- Agent 88, Chuck said they are working with Digger, but whatever happens most likely won't be what was originally promised. They are trying to make the best of the bad situation. Chuck was very candid about the situation. :)

- I asked about Minimate themed ice cube trays or bottle openers, there are some things in the works.

- I asked about Minimate banks, Chuck said it's all about the numbers. He understands the desire for a big blank bank, but can't justify the tooling costs. HOWEVER, should someone like Marvel approach them for say a Spider-Man Minimate bank, then the tooling would be done and could be repurposed for other things. He said the other DST banks are usually produced in a quantity of 10,000 to hit the $20 price point, and he just can't see selling that many Minimate themed banks at this time.

Overall, the Minimate presence at the DST booth was large. Between the displays, product for sale on the wall, and the Build-A-Figure booth, it was very reassuring to see. :yes:

Oh, and Buttheadsmate introducing himself to Zach was priceless! :)

Man, that was fun.

I had a blast meeting and talking with everyone in Chicago. Great seeing some of you again, and meeting some of you for the first time as well.

Special thanks to Luke for hosting the get-together on Saturday night, and Shane for spreading the Minimate love & gospel every time I saw him. And BHM for being the egg man.

A few I just remembered:

- They are still looking into what to do with the Buck Rogers TV show license.

- The upcoming variant Minimate cover for ASM #1 was a cool story, basically DST paid to have the artwork done and the sales team pitched it to Marvel who really liked it, there may be more if it does well.

- Digger almost lost the Marvel deal back in the AA days because he was insisting that the Minimates remain the three inch format, Chuck stepped in and told them to make whatever format Marvel wanted, and the rest is history.

(All of this is from a memory that has been hindered by multiple rounds of alcohol over the course of the weekend, so please forgive any slight misinterpretation or paraphrasing!)

Firstly,I didn't know about the exclusive Zach was handing out, and while I thanked him for it ( he even offered my 2 year old son one but I didn't want to shorten the supply available to the rest of you ) I am sitting with it at home and have realized I do not collect blanks, and having one is bothering me. I think I am willing to part with it for specific mates, or the ever weakening dollar. Message me if anyone is still looking.

Maybe you should just offer to send it another member for the cost of shipping? Seems a little tacky to use something made for this specific forum as trade fodder when you know there are plenty of others who would cherish it.

Maybe you can give Fatcow some credit for turning down the second promo so someone who wanted it could get it? Instead of him taking it and flipping it? Do you have to criticize him for deciding to do what he wants with the only one he has? He did offer it here first instead of ebay and didn't sound unreasonable. Your criticism of fatcow was far more tacky.

I think offering a trade is a very nice thing to do. Kudos to Fatcow.

FYI, I also wanted to promote the Multiverse, so I gave one to big Minimate purchasers at the booth, and everyone at the panel got one, so I'm sure there will be others out there who may not want it, and may not even be ON the Multiverse (at least, not yet). Just putting that out there.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am working on posting the video. I just ran into some problems on the back end up editing the files and compressing them. I stayed up until 3:00am last night working on it, and right as it got to 85%, it died out of me, which undid about 4 hours of work. (This is why I am a camera man, not an editor, I hate this stuff. Hahah) However, I have a much more robust computer working on it right now. The show ended up being 20GB of footage, so the compression/transcoding takes quite a while. A few more hours though, and I should have it done. Please be patient with me. I apologize for the delay for everyone.

Shane is on an airplane right now but after talking to him at the show im expecting the majority of the MMV mates he has to be given away as contests or random drawings. A few have been put aside for folks like Ady without who there wouldn't be a multiverse.

I think the general feeling it that these are special and as far as I know no one who was at the show has more than one or two at most, often turning down the chance to get more to make sure they get into the hands of as many of you guys as possible.

Lets not bring down all of the positive energy from this awesome minimate and generous gesture from DST with bickering.

T.

P.s. Delta, thanks for working on the video. Im sure everyone is grateful for you doing this and is looking forward to seeing the panel.

Well put, Tim. Since I am assuming that most of us got at least two (one from Zach in person, one from the panel), I'm sure that plenty of us will be willing to part with our extras. Let's wait until Shane figures out what he's doing with the bulk of them before making any moves. The sky is not falling, people!

DUMB QUESTION in 3...2...1....

Is there anyway to get the Minimate blank?

Yes.

T.

P.s. read my post above. There will likely be contests and giveaways. or you could invent a time machine and go back in time and go to c2e2 to get one :)

- Battle Beasts Series 2 preorders have underperformed, looking for a new way to get the Series 2 figures out, they likely won't ship as currently solicited.

If Series 2 included a pair of sculpted turtle heads in a couple different shades of green, I think I know a few Minimate collectors who might buy some sets.

- Chuck mentioned Wolverine doesn't quite have the clout he once did.

Nice to know that after 50 variants over ten years, even Wolvie has a saturation point.

- I asked about Minimate banks, Chuck said it's all about the numbers. He understands the desire for a big blank bank, but can't justify the tooling costs. HOWEVER, should someone like Marvel approach them for say a Spider-Man Minimate bank, then the tooling would be done and could be repurposed for other things. He said the other DST banks are usually produced in a quantity of 10,000 to hit the $20 price point, and he just can't see selling that many Minimate themed banks at this time.

If Minimates banks were developed with posable arms at the shoulders and a removable head that could also be turned, I'd be interested in that. I'm sure licensors might need them to be non-posable but it's easy to glue those joints into place as needed. Just sayin'. whistling.gif

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to a few people:

1. YB - Thanks for the pictures and Q&A summaries in this thread. I know I'm not alone in expressing my appreciation for thinking about the MMMV members who could not make it to C2E2. And I know it's no small task to round up all this info and post it up, especially during a convention. So thanks!

2. Zach and DST - Thanks for making an official MMMV minimate happen. I know I'm also not alone in cheering the culmination of many members' dreams. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

3. Shane and MMMV Staff - Thank you in advance for taking on the task of setting up future contests for these special Minimates. Without MMMV the MMMV mate wouldn't exist. I hope you guys cherish this mate.

4. Luke - Just take my money! Have it all! (Congrats on a store exclusive. I imagine this baby will sell out quick!)

Last thought - I call dibs on calling MMMV Mate the "forever champion" of Translucent Tuesdays. Who could possibly beat him?

Shocker about Wolverine, lol.

Also, I just hope to get a MMMV Blank at some point too. Its one of the best things I have ever seen, lol.

On top of that, whats the point in living in the 4th largest city in the US if we don't get large conventions with cool things (though last year, I got to meet Chris Claremont and almost bumped into Patrick Stewart, so its on the up and up for our local comic show)

2. Zach and DST - Thanks for making an official MMMV minimate happen. I know I'm also not alone in cheering the culmination of many members' dreams. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I second this. Even if I don't end up with one, knowing that such a Minimate exists is very, very cool. This is hands down the best forum around, and warrants such an excellent nod to its existence. I can only assume that Zach is largely responsible, because of his active involvement here over the last, what, year or two? So big thanks to him specifically for something that I would also assume is costly to produce, without a great deal of return on economic investment--it isn't like the boardies here need to be persuaded to buy more Minimates.

Anyone who wasn't at the show might want to mosey on over to the contests section, why, oh no specific reason... other than I just posted a contest giving away 5 of the C2E2 MMMV exclusive blanks.

We're going to be giving them away as a series of randomly scheduled contests to give more folks a chance to enter.

T.

Anyone who wasn't at the show might want to mosey on over to the contests section, why, oh no specific reason... other than I just posted a contest giving away 5 of the C2E2 MMMV exclusive blanks.

We're going to be giving them away as a series of randomly scheduled contests to give more folks a chance to enter.

T.

I just want to say thanks to Tim and Shane for making these available to members who were unable to attend C2E2. It's stuff like this(among many other things) that continues to prove that this is the best forum on the internet.