UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

My Astonishing X-Men Emma Frost has...a problem.

WinterSoldier

I was going through some of my older 'mates and stumbled upon her. I noticed something very unusual, she's...um, yellowing. Like a lot. On one of the legs and one of the arms where the white details are. I don't know if this is due to heat (I doubt it), I seriously doubt it would be any sort of nicotine stains as I've been out of an environment where people smoked inside the home since 2008 (and it wasn't yellowed then), is there a way to clean this up? I think it may even be due to being in the same container as some other yellow Minimates parts (like the Shooting Star, and I think there were some stray Lego jet engines in there). What do? wacko.png

Its a known issue some older clear minimates do yellow. Frodo and the invisible woman suffer from the same thing.

I Don't think theres much you can do about it sadly. sad.png

T.

That was the weird part to me, it's the one from the old TRU boxed set! It's not one of the translucent versions. If it were one of the clear ones I would've kinda expected it, I'm still kinda catching up to me just how /old/ some of my collection really is. I knew some types of plastic also yellowed but being that these things have been kept almost exclusively in a container in the dark usually, it was just a surprise. I'll probably just get a newer one. Still, sentimental value, one of my earliest ones y'know.

Hmm.. that is strange. I've had flight stands start to yellow but thought it may be due to smoke.

Know how you feel - I get sentimental bout my earliest figures too. Just recently took out my first mate, Mega-Rage Hulk, to display ( play with). What a great figure! His right arm falls off repeatedly but no interest in replacing him.

Yeah, my Emma's a goner too, and I mentioned recently in another thread that I had this happen to my blue suit Xavier too, although I guess that was more of a "greening" than yellowing. Seems like plastics and paints can just to react to all kinds of things -- exposure to sunlight, being completely sealed like Turtle mentioned, heat or humidity, or just the material of the container they're stored in.

This reminds me of my dastardly scheme:

Launch a toy line wherein the plastics of the figures will begin to decompose UNLESS removed from the package. That way, anyone trying to keep them "mip" will end up with a blister full of sludge, and only openers like myself will have mint figures

"I've heard Hydrogen Peroxide in direct sunlight, but have never tried it myself." - TM2Dinobot

You're on the right track .....

Mix equal parts of nail varnish remover with 35% hydrogen peroxide ,perhaps an ounce of each in a sealable plastic container.

Immerse the tarnished yellowy Minimate in the mixture ,seal the container & shake vigorously for about 2 minutes .

Leave the contents to settle.

After 30 minutes remove the lid & place the minimate at least 20 yards away from the settled mixture to dry & immediately phone a friend or relative letting them where you have placed it. Make sure you say 'Goodbye'.

Place a lighted match inside the container & you will notice an immediate reaction .

This reaction varies but it generally accompanies the removal of all walls,ceilings & roofs within 20 yards .

I think this works but unfortunately nobody has yet to confirm it.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I noticed this in my Astonishing Emma... I want to say over a year ago. But it was a fair while back. I think I may have even made a thread about it here that I'm sure is buried by now, though I don't vividly recall.

I remembered one of my local comic book shops, for whatever reason, still had one of the original two-packs lingering on the shelves in its toy section, so rather than try to fix it, I just went and bought a new one.

The new one, as it happens, was also showing signs of yellowing. It was less severe than my original one, so I still hung onto it and replaced mine. But this was still a BRAND NEW, straight out of the package Astonishing Emma that showed slight yellowing, which was enough to tell me, "Okay, yeah... this isn't just how I'm storing it, or something in my house, this is something that's happening to all of these Emmas with time." because I'd literally seen this two pack at my comic book store, sitting on the shelf unopened for years... so if it could effect a brand new, untouched one, it could certainly effect them all.

So *Shrug* if there's a relatively easy way to fix it, I'd be curious. But I'd also be concerned that anything that would de-yellow the plastic, might also take the paint off her.

In any event, rest assured, it's nothing about the way you specifically stored your Emma. It's happening to them all.

Yes, BHM, I would prefer TM2 not give ANY type of advice on this site, but he feels such a need...

biggrin.png Love you too, big guy.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/1252/removing-yellowing-from-plastics/

I can attest to this method for whitening yellowed plastics, a co-worker collects/restores vintage Apple computers and equipment, and he does this on a regular basis. No idea how the tampos on a Minimate would be affected, but I'd say its worth a shot. Edited by youbastards