UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Favorite Bands ?

Umphpool

My all time favorite band is Umphrey's Mcgee I've seen 18 shows in the last two years alone. And I'm seeing them seven times in May. The fan-base feels like a huge family and always willing to lend a hand.

Also love going to music festivals as well, something about camping and live bands playing to till 5am gets me so pumped. Also enjoy the hell out of Dave Matthews Band

So what are some of your favorite bands ?

Edited by Umphpool

Actually is Queens of the Stone Age. I've seen 2 shows of 3 they did here in Brazil and they'll return in october, so I hope to be there again.

Thats a great band, What arena in Brazil were they in. I used to live there for two years when I was younger. I was a Huge Vasco Da Gama fan as well when I lived down there.

DMB was a Rockin Rio recently and I didn't get to go because of Work/ Grad School

The first (that I missed) was in Rio de Janeiro (where you lived, I suppose, being a Vasco fan) on Rock in Rio. The second in Itu, a smaller city close to São Paulo (where I live), on the SWU Festival. And the third in São Paulo on Lollapalooza, where they did the whole world premiere of the ...Like Clockwork album, "My god is the sun". It was amazing!

And to don't lose the opportunity, I support the Corinthians!

The first (that I missed) was in Rio de Janeiro (where you lived, I suppose, being a Vasco fan) on Rock in Rio. The second in Itu, a smaller city close to São Paulo (where I live), on the SWU Festival. And the third in São Paulo on Lollapalooza, where they did the whole world premiere of the ...Like Clockwork album, "My god is the sun". It was amazing!

And to don't lose the opportunity, I support the Corinthians!

Good guess and that's pretty cool, I have yet to see a concert in Brazil. And congrats on finally getting your own stadium lmao. My dad is part of the Mancha Verde (Palmerias)

Edited by Umphpool

Well, only a few concerts worth here, but only in social places like SESC or SESI (I'm supposing you knew them). Private concerts are really expensive because of "Brazil tax", like all the rest. Major fees, high profit and a lot of other things that we have here unfortunately. So you didn't lose much... That's why "international" bands doesn't come so often: high costs.

Thanks, I guess. lol. And it's Mancha Verde and Palmeiras, the bigger rival of my team.

Pavement. Nothing makes you feel old quite like realizing your favorite band broke up 15 years ago. Saw them once back in the day and met Stephen Malkmus afterward. I will remember that forever. I saw them again a few years ago at a reunion show in NYC.

Edited by Turtle

Jimmy Eat World (hince my avatar), Jason Isbell, Mumford and Sons, AC/DC, The Beatles, Foo Fighters, Mouse Rat, Drive-by Truckers, Otis Redding, Al Green, Elton John, Queen, Cloud Cult, She and Him, Iron and Wine, Boyce Avenue, John Mayer, etc. I spend a lot of time in a car so I listen to a lot of music. Variety is the spice of life.

Jimmy Eat World (hince my avatar), Jason Isbell, Mumford and Sons, AC/DC, The Beatles, Foo Fighters, Mouse Rat, Drive-by Truckers, Otis Redding, Al Green, Elton John, Queen, Cloud Cult, She and Him, Iron and Wine, Boyce Avenue, John Mayer, etc. I spend a lot of time in a car so I listen to a lot of music. Variety is the spice of life.

Nice how you sneeked those guys in there. thumbsup.gif

Nice how you sneeked those guys in there. :thumbsup:

Thank you sir.

I like at least one song from every genre, except polka & mariachi. I'm very easy to please musically, but what I don't like, I straight up loathe.

My favorites, however, would be:

Thirty Seconds To Mars

Linkin Park (who was #1 before I discovered 30STM)

Fall Out Boy (represent Chicago!)

Flyleaf

The Lonely Island

Runners up to the pop-punk would be Fun., Alkaline Trio (represent Chicago!), My Chemical Romance. Runners up to the girl bands would be Paramore, Ellie Goulding, Ke$ha, Florence + The Machine (I'm a huge sucker for female vocals). Runner up to rap would be Eminem. I love loud, angry music like Marilyn Manson, Disturbed, KoRn, Avenged Sevenfold. I love poppy girl music like Avril Lavigne and Taylor Swift. I love electronic like Daft Punk and Krewella (represent Chicago!). I LOVELOVELOVE classical (Mozart especially) and movie/TV scores (huge fan of Michael Giacchino & Hans Zimmer).

It really depends on my mood.

Sometimes I want to sing along to the Frozen soundtrack, sometimes I want to scream my throat bloody to Slipknot.

Ooooh! Music talk! I love music talk! I'm a huge metal head. So, killswitch engage (Howard and Jesse), five finger death punch, deftones, Pantera, mastodon and the list goes on and on.

I am a child of the 90's so I greatly enjoy pearl jam, the cult, the cure, nirvana, aic and others.

I was able to see Pearl Jam once in 2000, still a highlight of my life, after marrying my wife (of course).

Foo Fighters will more than likely always be my #1 band. My dearest goal is to meet Dave Grohl whom I consider to be a god amongst men.

Honorable mentions:

Paramore

Eminem

Hans Zimmer

Kesha

Mettalica

Star Wars Soundtrack

Beethoven

Smashing Pumpkins

Weezer

Arctic Monkeys

I have little to no respect for bands that cannot perform live. The two worst bands I have seen were Angels and Airwaves and Cage the Elephant. The only reason I saw them was because they were opening for Weezer and Foo Fighers.

It just happened in São Paulo the latest edition of Lollapaloza. Among the best-known bands we had Nine Inch Nails (the most amazing show we had today!), Phoenix (incredible too!), Muse, Imagine Dragons, Cage The Elephant and Julian Casablancas. Some brazilian bands like Nação Zumbi and Vespas Mandarinas sang too, which I highly recommend even if you don't understand anything in portuguese. Unfortunately I've seen by tv only... I wish I could have gone.

And tomorrow we'll have Arcade Fire, Soundgarden, Pixies, New Order, Jake Bugg, Vampire Weekend and a few more. I recommend two more brazilians bands: Raimundos and Brothers of Brazil.

You can listen to them through the site, by clicking in the name of the bands and then "Ouvir" button. http://www.lollapaloozabr.com/line-up-por-dia

Edited by bzorio

I'll just say this , I never ever buy music in any shape or form & never really have . I've been to see some concerts over the years notably Bowie in the early 70's yet I was too busy to take advantage of my Live Aid ticket way back when ....I perhaps regret that one .

My point is ...& always has been...that I enjoy music but I find it very difficult to be specific . I just adore "Smells like teen spirit" but am I a Nirvana fan ? no.gif

That was the first thing that came to mind .........there are tons of examples .........here's another....

Yesterday I saw an ad for a show which included some young guys singing 'a cappella'

.........so off I went singing that all day long & then finally googling " sip a glass cold champagne wine ..." rolleyes.gif

Soooooo now I'm an Omar fan ? Perhaps ..perhaps not . I do however love this song & I've heard it tons of times but wouldn't have had a clue who sung it .

Another phenomenon I have encountered in my latter years is 'finally listening to the lyrics ' of certain songs , songs that i had heard many many times without actually listening to them .........notably the 'Pina Colada' song . Now I won't force you to listen to that one but here it is if you can stomach it .....

Listen to the words....it took me decades blush.png

I love it but we can't all have the same tastes laugh.png

Edited by buttheadsmate