UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Hologram-Style Light-Up Minimate Displays

Hey guys, here is a project I have been working on for over a year - hologram-style displays! The displays have different images on each side and look great during the day or night. Each display is hand made, and is composed of an ultra bright LED, a button-controlled base, a 3D printed inner base, parts from a hardware store, and a laminate display with high resolution graphics designed by yours truly.

This first release includes two different displays. The Green Laboratory Light-Up Display shows schematics and 3D armor views. The Red Targeting Light-Up Display features an aerial view of a generic city on one side, and Manhattan on the other side, both with ominous targets preparing for an attack. These displays are available individually, or as a two pack at a discount. They are available to order here: http://lukestoystore.com/3d-printed-accessories/?sort=newest
green04t_zpsb2cb7204.jpg
green03t_zps2c39741f.jpg
red03t_zps9bd953c7.jpg
red02t_zpse73d2a93.jpg
red01t_zps9946e8ff.jpg
green01t_zps29cbfff0.jpg
green02t_zps333f238e.jpg

Jeez, those are cool. Any chance you might make a Green Lantern-themed one next?

Good idea! What kind of design would you like to see?

Can I vote for a blue-lit Iron Man one?

The manufacturer makes the control units in red, green, blue, and white. Unfortunately the blue is not very bright at all compared to the others. I don't think I will be able to use it. That is why I made this one green.

Jeez, those are cool. Any chance you might make a Green Lantern-themed one next?

Good idea! What kind of design would you like to see?

Maybe something like the Invisible Woman force shield base?

fig1571f4lg.jpg

EDIT: Hail Ivan!

Edited by hellpop

The manufacturer makes the control units in red, green, blue, and white. Unfortunately the blue is not very bright at all compared to the others. I don't think I will be able to use it. That is why I made this one green.

Drat.

Maybe white, and we could paint translucent blue ourselves?

I wouldn't mind seeing some medical type graphics as well. Maybe even Minimates shaped X-Rays?

agreed - an x-ray or an enlarged dna strand or something similar would look awesome for the doctor/biologist type characters. I needs one for my Hank McCoy figure.

Drat.

Maybe white, and we could paint translucent blue ourselves?

not a bad idea. Also - the the plastic that the image is printed on coloured? or is it white and the colour comes from the LED? Perhaps a blue (or purple, or yellow, etc...) plastic display with a white bulb?

Regardless, I will be wanting both of these!

The blue translucent laminate material I have doesn't work very well with printed graphics. It has fibers running through it that obscures things. I will keep looking for other options, but blue might be off the table. I will experiment with blue printed graphics in clear laminate with a white LED. The blue printed graphics might be enough in that case.