UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

MisterPL

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those RT scores by critics vs. viewers parallels the Transformers reviews a bit (audience reviews were moderated once folks actually had a chance to see it).

That elevator scene. . .man, I might have to avoid this one at all costs, after all laugh.png

Ok that's horrible but what gets me the most are the paid off reviewers who are saying the CGI/VFX are incredible and so good, they're not though. Blows my mind that movies like the first TMNT and Jurrassic Park still look better than most movies today.

Seriously, what is wrong with the elevator scene?

These guys are teenagers, right?

Something tells me that if this movie had Sam Raimi's name on it, fans would be a lot more forgiving about such silliness.

Maybe I am biased (though I definitely do not give Raimi a pass for Spider-Man 3 biggrin.png ), but I think that Spidey clip is genuinely funny, and the Ninja Turtles one is just terrible. But I don't think they're targeting me with that gag, so much as 8-12 year old boys (who I can imagine laughing their asses of watching it), so I'm not upset about it or anything. Edited by karamazov80

I wonder if GotG, and Rocket and Groot being so well-realized, might end up hurting this?

I thought about Rocket and Groot while watching it, and how much better the execution was on the Marvel side. I think Michael Bay's biggest problem, and certainly TMNT's biggest problem, is they chose spectacle over story.

Too many studios think they have to aim their projects at a specific demographic to the exclusion of everyone else. GOTG proves you really don't have to do that. There's plenty of room in a TMNT movie for eye candy AND a layered, compelling narrative.

While that's true, I think there is an audience for, well, kind of inane, lowest-common-denominator movies that execs should appeal to in the pursuit of profit. GOTG is great at giving you a fun movie that is also pretty well crafted, and that can be enjoyed by older kids and adults alike. But there are some audiences, I'm sure, who would take a Transformers over that any day. Ones that don't want something even as sophisticated and complex as GOTG (which wasn't much of either of those things of course, but was much moreso than the typical Michael Bay film). Look no further than the ticket sales of those abominations. Or the success of Big Bang Theory. . .I KID!

Wes Anderson TMNT or GTFO.

(For an animated feature, I'd like to resurrect the legendary Chuck Jones.)

For an animated TMNT go get Brad Bird. Wait never mind just go get Brad Bird for TMNT in general.

I still plan to see this one. Dunno what to expect from it.