• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here are some better pics, detailing his new duds more

x4PEF8I.jpg

and under the coat

OIm3Zhb.jpg

(Renner is as graceful as a real life Clint Barton)

anyone else think the jacket looks like Swordman's from the Fraction run?

zPeriO0.jpg

I don't see a big difference, except that folks have built in expectations. If they were treated seriously, and done with quality, I feel a screen accurate Hawkeye, Cap, Spidey, Wolverine, Fantastic Four, etc. would all work. Of course, they couldn't look like someone's cosplay outfit cobbled together, but. . . No one blinks an eye with Spidey or Superman, but have developed an aversion to most others for some reason. But if you step away from the fact that some are simply considered more iconic and less open to interpretation, then one's no more or less silly than the other IMO. Objectively, Spider-Man is a very silly looking character. But folks wouldn't want to see a guy with a leather vest, tactical pants, and a red ski mask with goggles on it swooping around the city on webs.

Edited by karamazov80

Spider-Man also has arguably the best costume of any superhero and the origin and powers to make it seem slightly less silly, along with worldwide recognition of the look. Hawkeye's classic costume, while I like it fine, is somewhat silly even by comic standards. Almost every significant element (mask, boots, skirt, shoulders) translates poorly to live action. I think the best you could hope for is that it would look like good cosplay, which is still pretty bad for a movie.

On the Hawkeye subject: I like his "classic" costume and would like to see the semi-modern one (either Bullseye's or the one-sleeve one) make it to live action but I have to say that out of the three, the current one is my favorite. Maybe it's because i love that minimate so much but I really like the militaristic tone they went with. I'd still like to see some sort of mask but I like it as is. Movie wise, the classic one would never work if it was translated exactly like it's in the comics. The A2 one is a step in the right direction with the purple and all that. If they decide to add a mask I'd just keep the "fins" short or go the Ultimate route with the goggles.

Yours truly has seen more comic -book character costume changes than anybody else here .Whilst that is particularly patronising comment ....it is ,unfortunately for you lot, true. My introduction to US comics was Avengers ...1965 . 1966 introduced me to Batman the TV series.

I'll be brief ......whatever I've seen in almost fifty years since doesn't change the fact that what I first saw often remains what I love best . In the case of Adam West ......you just had to be there to appreciate it but even I struggle with it now .

I will also add that I also love some of the changes (across the whole DC /Marvel range etc.) that I have seen since .....so I'm not just stuck in the past.

Regards Hawkeye (first seen by me Avengers #20) .....when I first saw him he had those big ol' stupid boots ,a dopey mask with an 'H' on it & wings on the front . Ridiculous ?

Maybe .

Then I remember that I saw Captain America in the same issue...... again for the first time......who had big ol' stupid boots , a dopey mask with an 'A' on it & .......for some bloody reason(?) .....what appears to be a wing-nut above each ear . Ridiculous ?

Maybe not.

In general I really like how things have progressed over the years ...it's evolution & it's healthy ...most of the time.

Bottom line:

Most importantly with all these arguments it should be borne in mind that movies have stars....those stars (& their agents) want their faces 'out there' ....so masks a la comic-book......go out of the window . Once the mask goes.....the characters' costumes go the same way .

Edited by buttheadsmate

I designed a comic-accurate Hawkeye costume and yes, it is ridiculous in real life. Part of it is that there's really no in-story reason why Clint wears that color scheme, boots, loincloth, mask, etc. It's just accepted as a genre convention. I feel characters like that you can get away with tweaking a little bit when you need to work it into real life.

However I will never understand why the comics feel the need to follow the movies designs. Comics lose a lot of their appeal when they attempt hyper-realism. Lighten up. Just embrace the goofiness of the genre, that's part of the fun. The NOW! Captain America is a perfect example, the costume is great in theory but looks absolutely atrocious on page. I understand the attempt at marketing synergy, but movie success has only translated into merchandising. It's had little effect on comic sales.