Mattallica

Opened my AOU counter display and here's the breakdown and order:

1x Baron

1x Ultron mark 1

3x Ultron blue

3x Ultron red

5x Iron Legion 02

5x Iron Legion 04

WTF?? I sure hope for others that mine was mispacked. I can't think of any reason why the Iron Legion should be so heavy packed.

The outside box was also marked 57 of 100. I'm surprised there was only 100 of these, I thought it would be higher.

I just came here to find out what the pack out was. I ordered 2 cases, but I'm going to need more Ultron drones.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1x Baron

1x Ultron mark 1

3x Ultron blue

3x Ultron red

5x Iron Legion 02

5x Iron Legion 04

WTF?? ? I sure hope for others that mine was mispacked. I can't think of any reason why the Iron Legion should be so heavy packed.

The outside box was also marked 57 of 100. I'm surprised there was only 100 of these, I thought it would be higher.

I just got mine this evening, and I received the same count. Really disappointed that it was not the same amount, minus Baron and Ultron Mk. 1 Edited by ABC123

1x Baron

1x Ultron mark 1

3x Ultron blue

3x Ultron red

5x Iron Legion 02

5x Iron Legion 04

WTF?? I sure hope for others that mine was mispacked. I can't think of any reason why the Iron Legion should be so heavy packed.

So there's only 100 Barons out there? That can't be right, can it?

Honestly, at this point I don't know what the future for non-Marvel and DC comics Minimates (or figures in general) is. I thought that Invincible would sell well to comics shops, but I was obviously wrong. I suspect that the Valiant set will not be a strong seller, though I hope I'm wrong. Walking Dead was a big hit out of the gate, but sales certainly seem to have slowed down.

I think that part of the problem is that Chuck isn't great at identifying what are the hot comics properties. Right now, the stuff that really seems to get people talking is the Image creator owned stuff, and I suspect we're not going to see any sets from there any time soon. And that's a shame, because I think there are plenty of properties there (Saga, East of West, and Rat Queens off the top of my head) that would probably do really well and make for eye-catching figures.

DST has made some... odd choices when it comes to comics 'mates. Grimm's Fairy Tales is baffling, but even that pales in comparison to freakin' Tarot. I assume that a lot of these decisions are based on opportunity, and I'm sure that DST would do Hellboy in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose. Remember, it makes little sense to pick up a license for just Minimates, and there's a lot of other Hellboy stuff out there. But hope springs eternal....

HP, our sister company (and distributor) is the number-one distributor of English-language comics in the world. Chuck knows what the hot comics are, and 91 of them are Marvel and DC titles. Only 9 of the top 100 comics for February are non-Big-Two, and one is IDW's Orphan Black, a TV show comic which Lootcrate ordered in bulk. One of the 8 remaining Image titles is The Walking Dead, and another is Spawn -- a big question mark as far as licensing goes.

Most of the remaining Image titles are in the single-digits; East of West is only up to issue 12. I love independent, creator-owned comics, but just because issue 1 or 3 of a hot new title is in the top 100 doesn't mean it's going to be an active, ongoing series with a consistent readership 10-12 months down the road -- which is when product would hit after the dealmaking, product development, solicitation and manufacturing would take place. The relaunched Valiant has been around for a while now. Grimm's main book is past issue 100, and has been a consistent seller. Tarot is up there, but we were also working on Femme Fatales of them, as we have with other titles.

If we're working with a company on a license, it's because we have data on the level of their success at comic shops, we see merchandise potential in the world, and they're interested. Valiant and Zenescope are both established universes, like Marvel and DC, with multiple titles that have starring characters -- they have an interest in making merch happen. And a shared universe means crossover appeal (literally, based on crossovers) to readers and collectors who may only follow a part of that universe -- the potential audience is the sum total of all of their title's sales. Each Image title is a standalone story-wise, as well as licensing-wise, except in the rare cases that a creator has TWO hot comics; even then, getting toys may not be their top priority.

In the end, current readership is secondary, I think, to longevity. Think about how many Marvel Minimates collectors on this board have absolutely no idea what is going on in current Marvel comics. The Marvel toy collector base is fueled as much by ingrained/nostalgic love for the group of characters as it is by actual current readership.

I mean, Saga is amazing, and is up to issue 25, but part of the appeal of that book is that it defies easy merchandising; the status quo

is constantly changing, and the characters fit into no established archetypes. Grimm's Fairy Tales and Valiant Comics are established groups of mythical and superhero characters, with a fairly consistent appearance.

Finally, I think there are simply you have to look at the ultimate sales potential -- TRU took Valiant, but would they carry toys called "Bitch Planet" or "Sex Criminals"? As good as they are, these were not books created with mass-market merchandising in mind. biggrin.png

>>

I think this line should have been rolled out the same way that Thundercats was. Small, limited run but pushing to cover the major characters in the first 4 box sets. I just don't understand how a line based on a comic that's been around since 2003 didn't have the legs to keep going. Maybe I'm overestimating the popularity of the comic or the cross-over potential between Invincible fans and Minimate collectors. But it seems to me that this line filled a void in Invincible merchandise. Anyway, I'm hopeful we still see more box sets but at this point I'm doubtful.

Zach, out of curiosity, how many box sets were produced? 3000?

NOT 3000 no.gif

BHM, I think you are getting most of your info on production runs by doing math on the "box 16 of 134" on the side of your shipping cartons, right? Sometimes, there are multiple batches of a set/series, and multiple shipments to different retail groups, so those numbers may not represent the total production run. Just FYI.

My apologies for the multiple 'quotes' but I thought it might clarify things....apparently case numbers mean little.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I wanted more drones, that packout put me off the case I was going to buy this payday, glad I waited a few days.

Then dropped by a shop that actually gets minimates and again they didn't put new minimates on their weekly checklist. Whole untouched case of these so I bought every single ultron drone, one each of the legion, the ultron mk 1, and strucker.

If someone does an iron legion decal for other numbers I'll buy more but for now I'm good until wave 2

I wanted more drones, that packout put me off the case I was going to buy this payday, glad I waited a few days.

Then dropped by a shop that actually gets minimates and again they didn't put new minimates on their weekly checklist. Whole untouched case of these so I bought every single ultron drone, one each of the legion, the ultron mk 1, and strucker.

If someone does an iron legion decal for other numbers I'll buy more but for now I'm good until wave 2

My dream scenario

Are they in the army builder box of yore, or are they blind bagged? I thought they were the latter? Or are you just so good, you felt the right ones, lol?

Lol, I felt the right ones. The box had 18 but had been messed with so the packing order wasn't accurate for me. The drones were easy since I was getting all 6, only had to rely on luck for the 2 different iron legion dudes and luck was with me today.

I did not feel up what I thought would be iron legion bags so not sure if the packout was different than posted.

I doubt my LCs has these, only an hour to the nearest LCs that would possibly have these, are they popping up anywhere else? Any etailers have them?

Lukes Toy Store has them. BBTS has them too, but they are priced higher than Lukes.

The different color variations on each of the 2 Iron Legion 'mates is interesting. I haven't paid that close attention to the trailers so I didn't realize the different number Iron Legion drones had different colored markings. That will make accurate re-numbering of the multiples a little difficult. Numbers, arms, legs and torso (front and back) all have the different colored accents (blue on #2, black on #4) I was hoping a simple number decal would work but to be accurate it looks like there will need to be more than just a new number.

I really don't want to buy a whole case of these for the six uniques I want. If anyone bought multiple cases to army build, I'll trade in your favor for a set of six. My trade list is near the bottom of the trade thread. Thanks!

I'll happily trade Ultron blue & reds & Iron Legions 02/04s for (Wants ) Barons & Mark 1s .

I've got a case on order with Luke and have zero interest in the Mark 1 & Baron so I'll let you know when they arrive if you still want them