UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Punch Out fan project.

BrobotC

Whelp,school this year has taken up a lot of my free time. Hell,I hardly have time to customize! But I've found another hobby. It all started when I was given Video Production as my elective. I've always loved the Idea of making movies,and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to do so. But,I wasn't tasked with JUST making movies,but I had to write scripts too! So every 2 months,my teacher gives the class a major film project to do. First,we were tasked with making a Suspense film. Second, music video. Third, infomercial. I recently asked my teacher what the next genre would be,and when he said he had no idea,I suggested making an adaptation of something that hasn't been adapted to film before. He liked the idea so much,that he actually made it the theme! Now he hasn't announced it to the class yet,but he told me that THAT was the genre. So I started thinking. Whats something I can adapt,and make it work around a high school budget without it coming off as cheesy or bland? Then it hit me. Quite literally.

Punch Out.

Im going to adapt Punch Out.

Now,Im a high school senior. I cant rent a boxing gym and film there,I wouldnt have the time or money. So Ive come up with a basic premise. Im looking for some feedback,by the way. Anything helps! Let me remind you,things have been changed in order to work around this budget. Basically,a Punch Out re-imagining

"Little Mac Is a down and out boxer alone in San Diego. One day while running through the San Diego scenery,he spots a short,portly man sitting on a bench. Ignoring it,he continues to train. Later,when practicing at the gym,he sees the man once again. Curious,Little Mac asks him who he is. The man introduces himself as Mario,and extends an invitation to an underground boxing competition with a big cash prize hosted by the eccentric "King Hippo". Champion gets to fight Hippo in a 1 on 1 match. Little Mac rejects Mario's invitation,but thats only until Mario mentions that Super Macho Man will be there; Little Mac's rival. With revenge in his eyes, Mac joins the competition to regain the glory that Super Macho Man once took from him."

Got any thoughts? Some Questions? Wanna give me Ideas? Id love to hear them! Im looking forward to making this,and Id love to hear what you guys think.

Edited by BrobotC

Since it is an Underground Tournament, you could very well do away with the ring all together and have the local be some sort of large basement or an abandoned industrial area. Or something similar.

Or, if the ring is still needed, look for a local that has pillars that can be made into a make-shift, underground ring.

Example: In the movie Snatch, there is a scene where there is a bareknuckle fight between Gorgeous George and Mickey O'neil in a barn.
http://www.hotflick.net/pictures/000SNC_Adam_Fogerty_004.html

You probably want to go a bit more industrial than this, but it's a good example of makeshift ring.

Just something that came to me. Best of Luck!

I thought Digger was in this thread for a moment. All clear.

I dont think I was around for that controversy,what happened?

Since it is an Underground Tournament, you could very well do away with the ring all together and have the local be some sort of large basement or an abandoned industrial area. Or something similar.

Example: In the movie Snatch, there is a scene where there is a bareknuckle fight between Gorgeous George and Mickey O'neil in a barn.

I was thinking the exact same thing! I should watch Snatch for some inspiration :D

I love it when people get excited about filmmaking. And man, I am excited for you.

Doing an adaptation of Punch Out sounds great and I really like that you're thinking about work arounds to get the story to work into your budget. That's the thing about adaptations that people seem to forget: It's okay to change details as long as the core ideas stay the same.

All that said, I think you're starting your story at the wrong spot. Mac's dilemma about whether to engage in this tournament or not isn't very interesting to me, however the backstory that you've built up is. What if instead, it's him training for the big fight, ending with a take on the iconic pink-suited work out shot from the original game? Or, what if it's him psyching himself up before the fight (where he's sitting in a locker room), where he's flashing back to the moments in his life that brought him here, ending with Mario or The Coach telling him it's time to go? Or a similar idea, where its between rounds and Mac is in his corner (A dark, underground boxing corner mind you, thats really just him, ropes, and a shaft of light) beaten and trying to regain his motivation, ending with the reveal of his opponent King Hippo? Or something in between, these are just top of my head thoughts for you.

Really, my thoughts are rooted in Polaris's Four Player videos,

if you haven't already for inspiration.

Good luck!

All that said, I think you're starting your story at the wrong spot. Mac's dilemma about whether to engage in this tournament or not isn't very interesting to me, however the backstory that you've built up is. What if instead, it's him training for the big fight, ending with a take on the iconic pink-suited work out shot from the original game? Or, what if it's him psyching himself up before the fight (where he's sitting in a locker room), where he's flashing back to the moments in his life that brought him here, ending with Mario or The Coach telling him it's time to go? Or a similar idea, where its between rounds and Mac is in his corner (A dark, underground boxing corner mind you, thats really just him, ropes, and a shaft of light) beaten and trying to regain his motivation, ending with the reveal of his opponent King Hippo? Or something in between, these are just top of my head thoughts for you.

Thanks for the Ideas! Im still working out the kinks in the story :P

If anyone is interested in helping me write the script or if you just wanna read it,PM! I can send it to you on google drive :)

I thought Digger was in this thread for a moment. All clear.

I dont think I was around for that controversy,what happened?

>Since it is an Underground Tournament, you could very well do away with the ring all together and have the local be some sort of large basement or an abandoned industrial area. Or something similar.

I was thinking the exact same thing! I should watch Snatch for some inspiration biggrin.png

Indeed, you should :)