UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TMNT Minimates - it's official!

Yesterday I was at my local toys and collectibles store and was able to get both the SDCC turtles for $5!!

They were sealed in package both and I really want to bust them open and play with them but I also really enjoy being able to have the figures in the package.

I don't see myself getting the pair again, so I'm a little conflicted. I would really love if anyone could give me their thoughts on what road I should take.

Edited by NerdyTrev

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see myself getting the pair again, so I'm a little conflicted. I would really love if anyone could give me their thoughts on what road I should take.

As a weirdo who only likes things as ‘sets’ I’d say leave them in their packages. Leo and Mike on their own aren’t as fun as all four, but two promos in their bags look neat...

then if they make a red Raph and purple Donnie this year you can get them and open all four at once and have a lovely set. (or leave them all four in their bags... I guess my answer really just sort of kicks the can down the road rather than answering it.)

And yet I agree entirely...

Two out of four exclusives are still worth having as exclusives, but relatively unimportant as figures. If they were, say, battle damaged, that might be different. But what purpose does a blue Leonardo serve on his own?

If the other two get made, that's when the decision gets tough. A full, unopened set would make for a neat piece in your collection,but the four turtles side-by-side on display would look pretty bombass as well.

Ironically, I'm normally an opener and would tell you the five dollar value should be paid back to you in personal value (play or display) so that of they never make you any money later on down the line,you won't feel they were a waste. That said, they're translucent colored versions of figures otherwise available. They aren't unique characters or "logical" display options. So something like that I WOULD keep in package.

Anecdote: I have the SDCC Cobra Commander at his podium. I, in fact, have/had three. I wanted to use two for their suited bodies to make the Crimson Twins (and farm out the podium to regular hooded Cobra Commander), and I wanted to keep one in package. I also have the SDCC Zarana, but... Because they reused her entire body for Zanya and gave her a better head sculpt, I kept Zarana in package. She's displayed alongside the other Dreadnoks, but I see no need to open her, at all.

I hit up the TRU closest to home this morning and no sign of the TMNT sets. They had the infinity Box Set and a few GotG Yondu packs but that was it. They looked pretty cleaned out after the holidays and I saw some RGIS inventory tags on the shelves so I'd imagine they just did year end inventory and are in the process of resetting/restocking. They had some stuff moved around since I was in there last.

Okay, I am back at work with easier access to this site.

I posted that I was able to shop at a Kmart close to me a couple days prior to Christmas. I got a Krang and a Michelangelo. I left four other packs behind.

On the Sunday after Christmas, I returned to that same Kmart as my wife had to return some gifts my parents got for her.

I then acquired the three remaining packages. I ended up with a Raphael, a Leonardo and another Michelangelo. So that means someone only purchased one package in the few days between my visits.

So, for Christmas I gave a kid I teach in Sunday School a present that included all four turtles, April, Shredder and Krang. He is a HUGE Turtles Fan for a five year old and his mother said he was so excited that he dumped out a Lego case to put them in so he could take them to his grandparents for Christmas day. I was told that his mother and father were surprised how wonderfully he shared and let his older brother play with them. This was the first time anyone in the family had known about MiniMates. So maybe I introduced a new line of toys to a new family. Now if only they made MiniMates Power Rangers as well. My extra Michelangelo and Raphael are on my desk at work. I only wish I had an extra Foot Solider or FootBot to give to my young friend.