UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TMNT Minimates - it's official!

I finally found a strip of these at my local K-Mart...and I couldn't pull the trigger. I'm glad to see Minimates are in new stores and that it looks like they're selling well but I don't think I'm a fan of the blind bag. I tried copping a feel but I can't figure out what's what. I would've bought the entire set if they were single packed like the Aliens figures or if there was an easier way to figure out who's in the bag.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Didn't someone post a road map to the strip a few pages back? Are people using it with success? I thought they were.

Ah. I was under the impression that specialty was getting 2-packs. Didn't realize TRU was my only chance at seeing what I'm buying. Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Really? You didn't know that the Previews solicitation to specialty five months ago was for a blind-bagged assortment? It's the only thing we've been talking about since then.

Unless a more collector-friendly solution shakes out, I'm probably passing on the line now. I doubt these will be sold at an individual price that'll make them tempting and I've no use for multiples of the same Turtles so buying a whole case makes no sense. Oddly enough, had it been Aliens, I might have justified the multiple main characters because Marines make easy troop builders with simple head swaps. Armies of Foot soldiers is fine. Armies of Donatellos? Not so much.

Hopefully a box set similar to the Ghostbusters "I love this town!" set will be offered someday.

FYI, this was your comment when I revealed that TMNT would be blind bagged at specialty five months ago.

I'll show off the TRU two-packs soonish, I think. Was hoping to know when they would be showing up, first. The ports are a little clogged right now.

Edited by DSTZach

Well after opening 18 packs I came across my first "missing piece" from a footbot with three out of four arms. Then I opened another Krang bot and found out he comes with a gun? Now I need to go back and search the wrappings to look for a missing gun from the first krang I opened.

Here's the strip breakdown, based on my experience, from top to bottom.

- Foot bot

- Foot Soldier

- Shredder

- Donatello

- Mutagen Mike

- Kraang

- Michaelangelo

- Michaelangelo

- Leonardo

- Leonardo

- Raphael

- Raphael

Ugh. I thought you guys meant there was something that I could identify on the back of the package or something. I was taking them off the strip to try and feel for who's who so they're definitely not in any sort of order now. :/ I guess I'll have to use this technique for the next strip.

Edited by MisterMiracle

Are the accessories just floating around in these bags? I ask because it seems like quality would be easier to control if each component had a spot in a tray (like they do in 2-packs). It's probably easier to miss a sword or extra arm if the parts are just dumped into a bag.

Ah. I was under the impression that specialty was getting 2-packs. Didn't realize TRU was my only chance at seeing what I'm buying. Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Really? You didn't know that the Previews solicitation to specialty five months ago was for a blind-bagged assortment? It's the only thing we've been talking about since then.

Unless a more collector-friendly solution shakes out, I'm probably passing on the line now. I doubt these will be sold at an individual price that'll make them tempting and I've no use for multiples of the same Turtles so buying a whole case makes no sense. Oddly enough, had it been Aliens, I might have justified the multiple main characters because Marines make easy troop builders with simple head swaps. Armies of Foot soldiers is fine. Armies of Donatellos? Not so much.

Hopefully a box set similar to the Ghostbusters "I love this town!" set will be offered someday.

FYI, this was your comment when I revealed that TMNT would be blind bagged at specialty five months ago.

I'll show off the TRU two-packs soonish, I think. Was hoping to know when they would be showing up, first. The ports are a little clogged right now.

No, I knew specialty was getting blind bags. I was just under the impression they were going to be getting 2-packs eventually as well. For what it's worth, 2-packs were mentioned here long before blind bags.

Are the accessories just floating around in these bags? I ask because it seems like quality would be easier to control if each component had a spot in a tray (like they do in 2-packs). It's probably easier to miss a sword or extra arm if the parts are just dumped into a bag.

Yes they are just floating in the bag. I did freak out a little when I couldn't find some of the weapons immediately. Had to dig in the corners of the bags to get some out.

Also I need a Footbot. Have an extra Mikey.

Things have changed a lot since February -- other retailers were tentatively on board at the beginning, packaging was up in the air at one point, and heads changed shape, but once we confirmed specialty and Kmart were blind-bagged, I definitely clarified.

No standard MM releases planned on these, but hopefully they will be easy for everyone to get.

TRU news came out much later, I told you as soon as I knew for sure they were happening.

I'll talk to them about the possibility of indivisually bagging accessories in Series 2.

Edited by DSTZach

I'll talk to them about the possibility of indivisually bagging accessories in Series 2.

Might be a good idea. Especially for the "extra" accessories. I was a bit surprised to find that the goal was to have the minimate completely put together in the bag. Weapons looked like they were supposed to be in sheaths/holsters. I expected to have to do a little putting together of the minimates and surprised they came already complete. Good idea and nice for the consumer, but I'm not sure it works...

Edited by Ninja Mate

To be fair to PL, I have also found it hard to keep the differences in the TMNT releases straight. I dunno why, but it's been very confusing. I don't think it's anything you've done, Zach, it's just a lot more balls in the air. I guess it's because we've all gotten used to "this set goes to comics shops, this set to Toys R Us", and this is the first real divergence from that pattern.

Things have changed a lot since February -- other retailers were tentatively on board at the beginning, packaging was up in the air at one point, and heads changed shape, but once we confirmed specialty and Kmart were blind-bagged, I definitely clarified.

No standard MM releases planned on these, but hopefully they will be easy for everyone to get.

TRU news came out much later, I told you as soon as I knew for sure they were happening.

So we went from the expected 2-packs to exclusively blind bags to TRU getting 2-packs but everyone else getting blind bags. Things change. I'm counting on it.

Chuck says to never say never and with as organic as this line's development has been, I'm certainly not ruling out a line of 2-packs at specialty. I know my LCS has no interest in blind bags. I have no idea if others feel the same way but if enough do, it's not hard to imagine DST offering comic shops traditional 2-packs. Maybe they'd even be comic-based, which would be even more appealing to me personally.

We did blind bags BECAUSE we have heard from sales for a while now that LCS's want them. Maybe not all of them, but not all LCS's want two-packs, either. Or Minimates. Or even toys. And sales of the bags were strong. Would they have been stronger as two-packs? We will never know. But TRU wanted two-packs, so they got them. That surprised us, as well.

Of all the things that might change, specialty suddenly getting two-packs is the least likely, but you're right, things change. Clearly, me providing regular updates on what HAS changed does nothing to make that clear to people. At least in this case.

And yes, this has been more confusing than the "standard" (i.e. frequently tinkered with) formula for the past X years. The last time it was this confusing was probably when Marvel Minimates were in TRUs and Walmarts and Targets and Shop-Kos and wherever else they were. Those early figures were each packaged six different ways. But they were all in major chain stores, just like Kmart. This wave has been a lot more manageable, and probably requires the purchase of far fewer doubles, especially once you eliminate packaging variations.

Anyone who thinks that more retailers being on board is a bad thing is not thinking long-term.

Anyone who thinks that more retailers being on board is a bad thing is not thinking long-term.

Very true. Which is why I don't understand the resistance to K-Mart and Sears that we've been hearing.

The only thing I get from all of it ...is just jokes. because many of the stores are going out of business, why would you put new product into them. Which doesnt really relate to Kmarts whole plan, doesnt mean they are all going out of business....just reducing the stores...I think its just jabs. and not actual anger.

Well, I wouldn't be thinking long-term if I wasn't expecting specialty 2-packs. Specialty is the place for comic-based characters and I doubt that demographic is into blind bags as much as the big-box crowd. (I was surprised TRU took 2-packs, too.) Smaller stores don't generally like to compete with the bigger retailers so I'm a little surprised sales were strong among the LCS.

As for the Kmart/Sears resistance, I'd argue that those detractors are especially looking long-term, wondering if these chains are going to be around long enough to pay their bills. While 1,000 additional stores is nice, it'd be even nicer if the stores weren't struggling to stay afloat. Might as well be selling these things at the Titanic's gift shop.

But yeah, who knows what could happen?

Anyway, this has been an interesting line to see developed. Lots of twists and turns. I'm glad DST has made more sales and is hopefully getting Minimates more exposure. I look forward to seeing the 2-packs at TRU and hopefully, someday, a line of comic-based 2-packs at my comic shop.

I think he meant sales for lcs were high in the sense that a lot a lcs ordered the turtle bags compared to regular orders for minimate product.

And the likely reason tru's buyers wanted 2 packs, to cut down on chain wide theft that they deal with from every other blind bag product.

And the kmart bashing will stop as soon as these hit tru and lcs. Everyone's just mad Kmart got them first.

I've seen plenty of theft with blind bags which is why I'm surprised this gimmick has lasted as long as it has here in the States. I guess the margin on those sold makes up for it.

And the Kmart bashing will end when Kmart manages to either turn itself around and become a stronger retailer (which may be what it's doing now) or just goes under. Kmart has lots of issues that have nothing to do with stocking Minimates.

Kmart has struggled for a long time. The one near me has issues that a good sales staff could easily remedy. I roamed Kmart looking for C3 sets back in the day and I will roam Kmart looking for TMNT Minis now.

My brain is already filled with too much useless crap already to try to remember what store gets what and I am glad this is fairly limited the the Turtles line. I'll do my best to track them down and not stress. When I stress, I lose interest in the line.

Wait... is this a blind bag Series 2 you're talking about? If so I'll second the "bagging the accessories" or even the whole kit and kaboodle. Hasbro's Kre-O blind bag figures come unassembled (duh cuz they're building block figures) with all the parts inside a clear baggie. Makes it a bit harder to feel for specific parts but less chance of something being lost if you rip the bag open and it explodes like a bag of chips.

Kmart has struggled for a long time. The one near me has issues that a good sales staff could easily remedy. I roamed Kmart looking for C3 sets back in the day and I will roam Kmart looking for TMNT Minis now.

My brain is already filled with too much useless crap already to try to remember what store gets what and I am glad this is fairly limited the the Turtles line. I'll do my best to track them down and not stress. When I stress, I lose interest in the line.

The Kmart stores around me are the same. Not the best looking places (they could all use facelifts) but they're still in business. Then again, according to news reports, my state's the last to come out of the recession and my region in that state has the highest unemployment. It's a pretty depressed area. Maybe that somehow works for Kmart here.

As for this line, if the clip-strip map works, it should take a lot of stress out of collecting this line. The trick is finding a full strip and hoping it hasn't been rearranged before you get to it. (Unless you're a fondler. I've never been a fondler.)

Very true. Which is why I don't understand the resistance to K-Mart and Sears that we've been hearing.

The only thing I get from all of it ...is just jokes. because many of the stores are going out of business, why would you put new product into them. Which doesnt really relate to Kmarts whole plan, doesnt mean they are all going out of business....just reducing the stores...I think its just jabs. and not actual anger.

Some are "jokes," but some people (here and elsewhere) have actually accused us of making a bad business decision, even though these are 1000 stores Minimates were not in a month ago. They must believe on some level that the service is bad enough or the future of every store dim enough that we (or Minimates, or Minimates collectors) will come out of it badly. Some of the alternatives proposed were obscure regional chains with a fraction of the stores, or massive national chains that we already talk to, and who obviously did not take the line.

All of it is moot, because sales have been strong, and Kmart has already re-ordered. Problems at the ports have delayed the specialty and TRU shipments, but hopefuly they will still have interested customers when they arrive.

yeah I understand that. I think there is a mentality that If a store goes out of business, it will kill the line . This is obviously not the case, tmnt minimates aren't going to kick the bucket anytime soon. anything TMNT is on fire at the moment.

I also see a mentality that Kmart is a second class store and why would you want to sell there, it could hurt the brand. sure its not the norm, but who cares. I like to make fun of kmart as much as the next guy, but I dont think its bad to get more products into more hands, regardless the location. Unless in fact something like TMNT minimates were exclusive to Kmart. then you might have an issue. but again, there more retailers to solicit to.