UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TMNT Minimates - it's official!

11 hours ago, SCW said:

I don't consider 3 POA vinyls action figures anymore than I consider Vinimates.  But your mileage may vary.

What constitutes an "action figure" then?  Lego Mini-figures don't have much articulation but people still think of them as figures. The old LJN WWF wrestling figures from the 1980's had 0 articulation but people still think of them as figures. 

Edited by MisterMiracle

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I said your mileage may vary on that. I don't think theres like an official rule or anything lol. I mean when Hasbro coined the term, they set the standard really high with the 12" Joes and few figures produced today outside of 1/6 scale regularly hit that many POA.

Personally, I see an action figure as at least having the big 5. Neck, arms and legs as articulation points. Lego fits that standard (they actually have 6 points) and to me that's sort of the bare minimum to be an "action" figure.

I personally never considered the LJN figures to be "action" figures, although they were rubbery enough that you could sort of "bend" some of the limbs and such so it helped some I suppose but they were always disappoint hunks of rubber in my mind. That's why when Jakks first released articulated WWF figures it was a big deal IMO, because they were the first real "action" figures.

I have a bunch of the KR TMNT figures and while I do think they're cool even the POA they have aren't very good. You can raise their arms a bit and their heads turn. But they're mostly nerd hummels in my view.

That is to say you can't even get full 360 rotation on their arms, so even the articulation they do have is pretty limited and hindered by the designs.

My original point and excitement about this was that several companies have tried to make a retro classic TMNT line and nobody has gotten very far for various reasons. So for DST to manage to release not only the TMNT themselves, but Shredder, Krang, Foot as well as Casey, Splinter, Baxter and April is a bit of a big deal because no one else has gotten that far.

Except for Mega Blocks/Construx who have actually gotten that far, even a little further. Though many of the characters in that line can only be obtained by buying $30+ sets, and in the case of Splinter, a $250 set! Construx also haven't released a "classic" Casey yet either, although they did release a Mirage one but only in the B&W scheme. I love the Mega Blocks stuff, though, it's amazing. But it's a bit tiny for my liking, which is probably why it slipped my mind first mentioning this. But they definitely were the first to make it this far, DST still should be applauded for hitting all the main characters in the first two waves.

Now for Wave 3 & 4 I hope we get Rat King, Ace Duck, Triceraton, Mutagen Man, Rock Soldiers, Vernon, Burne, Irma and the Punk Frogs!

Oh the possibilities...

6 hours ago, SCW said:

.............Personally, I see an action figure as at least having the big 5. Neck, arms and legs as articulation points. Lego fits that standard (they actually have 6 points) and to me that's sort of the bare minimum to be an "action" figure.

Lego minifigs have 7 POA not 6 neck, shoulders, wrists and hips

my two cents .... I don't think any points of articulation are needed for something to be considered an action figure. If you can play with it and have fun with it, that's enough for me (let's keep it G-rated, folks) Just last night my son was in the tub playing with some unarticulated toys, and there was so much action, we both got yelled at for getting the floor all wet!

... So, maybe one POA (point of Action!)

It actually depends on how you count them which seems to vary as well. 

But I was just listing my personal philosophy. Everyone is a bit different on that.

And the Loyal Subjects haven't gotten further. If you count Wave 1 which was all Mirage, then yes, but by that standard we'd have to count DST's Nick figures. I'm talking purely 80s cartoon style, and LS has only done the TMNT, Splinter, Shredder, Foot, Bebop & Rocksteady, Slash and Leatherhead. But if DST gets their sets out, they'll have more characters with April, Krang, Casey, Baxter, the TMNT, Splinter, Shredder, Rocksteady, Bebop and the Foot.

On 3/2/2017 at 6:04 PM, JediJohnson said:

From the press release: “‘Turtles’ has been an incredibly important franchise for us since we reignited it five years ago, and we’re excited for the new series to take the characters in a different direction with more humor, a younger and lighter feel and all-new dimensions to explore.”

The part in bold above has me worried. I thought the current show had a great balance of humor, action, and story. The type of humor worked well for kids and adults. Plus there were so many pup culture nods that it added another level to the show. It sounds like they want to crank up the humor in the new show and gear it towards younger kids? I won't judge it until I see it, but it sounds like a show I won't want to watch anymore.

2 hours ago, TENIME_art said:

So, Teen Titans Go, basically. Ugh.

I would wait until we see a trailer before saying that, Andy Suriano is a pretty talented artist and Ant Ward is involved with the current show so who knows. I'm waiting for a trailer before I make any judgements, even if the younger and lighter feel is concerning.

I am less concerned about the "younger" thing, as they said something similar when they first launched the Nick show and it ended up hitting the same notes as I am the show synopsis that includes the line:   "Tapping into mystic, ninja powers they never knew existed" It gives me bad nightmares of Venus. But hopefully this is all worrying over nothing.

I'm so happy about the 80s 'Mates, and while it's disappointing that we didn't get some of the 2012 characters I'd have liked (Dogpound/Fishface among others), I'm just happy about those 80's Mates!

I don't know if we can expect any more waves from the 80's, as they've done pretty much every 'necessary' character, but I do feel like at the very least Erma was important to the identity of the show and should get made.

I for one would love to see a 3rd and 4th 80's wave look like:

Wave 3:
Erma
Zak
Kala
Genghis Frog
Napoleon Bonafrog
Undercover Donatello
Punk Rock Mikey
Slash

Wave 4:
Leatherhead
Vern
Burne
Dask
Atilla The Frog
Genghis The Mad Frog
Leather Jacket Raph (Ghetto Blaster)
Human Disguise Leo

I'm definitely thinking the new show will be TTG of turtles. Shows doa. Good job of canceling or ending a property that resonates with most age groups (from my experience) like the original Ben 10/Alien Force/Ultimate Alien, Teen Titans/Young Justice, and the current/ending turtles and then giving us a shit one with worse animation and less plot like the new Ben 10, TTG, and what I assume this new Turtles show will be like. 

8 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I'm definitely thinking the new show will be TTG of turtles. Shows doa. Good job of canceling or ending a property that resonates with most age groups (from my experience) like the original Ben 10/Alien Force/Ultimate Alien, Teen Titans/Young Justice, and the current/ending turtles and then giving us a shit one with worse animation and less plot like the new Ben 10, TTG, and what I assume this new Turtles show will be like. 

I'm not sure about that, Andy Surano is a really talented artist. I don't see why the show wouldn't look really good. I'm more worried about the writing quality.