UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TMNT Minimates - it's official!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2012 TMNT did a 3 part crossover with 80s TMNT. Missed opportunity, for that classic wave. Kids would of definitely bought that wave after that. Which is weird Toys R Us didn't want them.

The new 2018 show designs are odd looking and not as appealing as the 2012 series, which is now one of my all time favorites. Season 4 & 5 had so many great designs I wanted. 

Edited by RedTiger95

23 hours ago, RedTiger95 said:

The 2012 TMNT did a 3 part crossover with 80s TMNT. Missed opportunity, for that classic wave. Kids would of definitely bought that wave after that. Which is weird Toys R Us didn't want them.

The new 2018 show designs are odd looking and not as appealing as the 2012 series, which is now one of my all time favorites. Season 4 & 5 had so many great designs I wanted. 

Yeah, a lot of minimates could've looked great. Leather Head, Tiger Claw, Super Shredder, black outfit turtles, Triceraton Soldiers, Xever, and Rahzar. so many potentially great minimates missed. But I understand why DST didn't continue the line, interest in TMNT has ben dying down with the show ending.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't blame retailers, especially the comic shops.

Sure, if a place like BestBuy had shown interest and passed at the last minute I'd understand the disappointment but selling an dated cartoon property to comic shops doesn't seem like a great fit. Had the 'mates been based on current comics, maybe they'd have taken the chance.

No, the folks to blame are those who wanted these figures but didn't preorder them.

13 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

I can't blame retailers, especially the comic shops.

Sure, if a place like BestBuy had shown interest and passed at the last minute I'd understand the disappointment but selling an dated cartoon property to comic shops doesn't seem like a great fit. Had the 'mates been based on current comics, maybe they'd have taken the chance.

No, the folks to blame are those who wanted these figures but didn't preorder them.

I don't know...I see an awful lot of Retro 80's TMNT merch around still.  Even the kid's clothing section at most stores has the older versions.  I feel like these would have definitely sold had they gone through with them.  

And how many more sets would have been accounted for had the people on here that wanted them preordered them?  100ish maybe?  I don't think it would have made a difference anyways.

I don't think preorders among Minimate fans were the problem - I think retailers just had TMNT fatigue. We only had 9 preorders for this series, but we did place a fairly large order for these regardless. Our customers are not preordering as much as they used to - they tend to wait until in-hand pics from Zach, or until items arrive in stock. Which makes sense when shipping estimates change all the time.

All things considered, DST should probably dump the license. Reaction so far has been largely negative. Playmates has a ton of product on the way based on the new cartoon. TRU will only have half the stores.

This seems like a SpongeBob situation in the making.

The Sewer Lair looks like a serviceable stand-in for a Minimates-scaled playset though.

20180217_110708-768x1024.jpg

The sewer lair looked like the only good thing to come out of this. The fan reaction has definitely been overwhelmingly negative. Of course, it's possible the show could be great and turn into a sleeper hit, but certainly as it stands there's not much enthusiasm. The last Nick incarnation had a few growing pains, but generally had a better reception. I'm sure it'll do alright, given that it's the Turtles, but I'm guessing this one will have a shorter life than more.

DST should try and figure out another way to get the retro TMNT out though. Those would be more in demand I'd think, with the market being flooded with these new less popular designs.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't seen anything else about the new shows figures except the main 4, April and splinter ever since the reveal and super backlash everyone had against the designs. 

I haven't followed every turtle iteration, but has there been this much of a gap between series before? Transformers has always had something going, even if it was garbage.

Definitely been larger gaps between shows. Next Mutation ended in 1998 and the next cartoon didn't happen until 2003.

Generally speaking this is a pretty quick TMNT turnaround, as the last show just went off the air in 2017 and the new one will start later this year.

In terms of gap in quality though, no, lol. And this is arguably the most radical redesign of the series. But it is what it is.

I wonder if DST still has the license and has any interest in doing stuff for the new show? Maybe there could something decent come out of it, as the designs might look better in Minimate style.

Kinda odd when they refer to it as a 3rd movie, when it's supposedly a reboot.

Of course, Michael Bay still has his filthy hands involved, so I get it on some level, but it's supposed to be completely unrelated to those last two abominations. 

Out of the Shadows was better than their first TMNT movie, but both of those films are terrible, with the original Bay TMNT flick being JUST about as terrible as you could do, so I am hopeful that it's gotta be all up from here. But then again, Bay has a way of making things even worse somehow, so who knows.

I really don't get the Bay hate with this franchise.

He didn't direct the movies. He didn't write them. He did bring in co-creator Kevin Eastman as a creative consultant.

He was one of six producers on the first film but not one of the four executive producers. He had three other films he was producing that year, one where he served as director and executive producer (Transformers: Age of Extinction). His involvement on Turtles is probably grossly exaggerated.

Yeah, the Turtles were physically bigger than what fans were used to and it's nice to see Fiona getting work after Shrek but criticism seemed pretty unreasonable right from the start. Considering how Nickelodeon is handling the cartoon, it seems like a good deal of vitriol could be redirected toward them since it's ultimately their property.

Either way, are we hoping for an animated feature? A return to live-action Muppets? I just want Minimates based on the 1990 film.

22 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I really don't get the Bay hate with this franchise.

He didn't direct the movies. He didn't write them. He did bring in co-creator Kevin Eastman as a creative consultant.

He was one of six producers on the first film but not one of the four executive producers. He had three other films he was producing that year, one where he served as director and executive producer (Transformers: Age of Extinction). His involvement on Turtles is probably grossly exaggerated.

Yeah, the Turtles were physically bigger than what fans were used to and it's nice to see Fiona getting work after Shrek but criticism seemed pretty unreasonable right from the start. Considering how Nickelodeon is handling the cartoon, it seems like a good deal of vitriol could be redirected toward them since it's ultimately their property.

This. Not only do I fiercely believe in credit where credit is due, I also believe in blame where blame is due. While I have been less pleased with most of his work, he's not to blame here.

Look at the insane stuff that Jon Peters was trying to do to Superman. Bay does that kind of heavy handed producing on all his big budget blockbusters. 

I think he's far more to blame than the director or anyone else, he's setting the parameters. And the director for TMNT is someone who works with Bay all the time, it's not like he was fighting for his own vision or something.

Eastman's name being on the film is a paycheck for him. He had about as much to do with that (or almost anything TMNT aside from IDW) as Stan Lee does with Marvel. 

Edit: Had a larger response, but it's kinda silly to go over in such detail.

Edited by SCW

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for the thread necro, but does anybody even have the trans. purple Donatello figure? I've been looking for one and haven't ever found it. I vaguely remember some controversy around the release so maybe it goes deeper than I thought. 

Any insight (or sales) would be greatly appreciated. 

On 3/31/2020 at 3:36 PM, NerdyTrev said:

Sorry for the thread necro, but does anybody even have the trans. purple Donatello figure? I've been looking for one and haven't ever found it. I vaguely remember some controversy around the release so maybe it goes deeper than I thought. 

I have one, but I dont remember the circumstances around it. I think it was also the last TMNT mate made for that line.

On 3/31/2020 at 3:36 PM, NerdyTrev said:

cost me $35 on ebay right after that sdcc but i got one.  i was even at that sdcc and somehow missed it.  but i have the other 3 and it was killing me to be missing one.  

Edited by nandoninny
correction

A lot were given away by Nickelodeon, but I don't think the random con-goers who got them were saving them, or for the most part selling them. We were not able to promote the giveaway in advance. Many unhappy customers. Ergo controversy. It was brought up in another thread recently.

Edited by DSTZach