UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TMNT Minimates - it's official!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/20/2022 at 9:51 AM, cylonchaney said:

Thought I read somewhere that he was an outside character they licensed or something and it's hard to get merchandising rights.

Or maybe a made up or mixed up memory. I'm starting to get old. lol

No, you're right that they'd need to make a separate deal. NECA did for their upcoming Usagi figure, and Stan's the nicest guy in the world so I bet they could work something out.

23 hours ago, SCW said:

Just a reminder of how great these looked...

52017994119_1086901899_o.jpg

I only collected the turtles, Shredder, Bebop, and Rocksteady.

Looks like I may need to get some Foot Soldiers, Casey, and April.  They look amazing and I don't know why I wasn't interested at the time.

I was surprised at how much I actually liked Turtle Minimates when I saw them for the first time .They are ,IMHO , also some of the best quality Minimates ever made .

I yearn for certain Minimates to be given sculpted heads when they beg for one ....notably Marvel's Thing which has become a joke ......but in this instance I would agree that they should stay the way they are.

1 hour ago, Smashmaster12 said:

Hasbro just released some Lightning Collection figures of the Turtles in Power Rangers gear, part of me suspects that may be what DST is working on. Regardless, Turtle merch is big right now, I hope whatever we get does well. 

Could this be the SDCC exclusive for the power rangers? Zach?

Edited by lopez888

18 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

...notably Marvel's Thing which has become a joke ...

Might not need a sculpted head if they could manage to colour match any 2 parts of him. LOL

I know from my poor attempts at customising, colour matching can be a challenge. But I expect a toy company to be much better at this than some random dude.

I'll definitely let this go after I say just this....

Minimates are designed for interchangeability ,I get that I really do but which Minimate would anybody want to put 'Thing's' separate headpiece onto apart from another 'Thing' ?   Who would put an actual hairpiece on to a Thing head ? It ain't 'appening :no:

Just mould a one-piece sculpted head ,paint it & be done ?  

10 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Matching paint to cast plastic is tough. Sorry we disappoint. 

No TMNT x Power Rangers planned. No TMNT fighting Cobra Kai, either. 

I see no "No Usagi Miyatmoto (or since we are talking 87' theme then the misnamed Usagi Yojimbo) planned" so I am gonna hold out hope that we could get one.

Plus with the upcoming Samurai Rabbit: The Usagi Chronicles based off Usagi Yojimbo coming out on Netflix April 28th; the character may become more well known.

Edited by HellfireSamurai

13 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I don't know, I love how Thing's brow fits onto his head. Just works for me, I guess.

I agree with BHM on this. For me, the problem isn't that it is a sculpted headpiece, because 9/10 time it works... The problem is the drastic contrast in color and texture for the head vs. headpiece. The smooth sharp bright color and dark lines of the rock features of his head do not blend well, at all with the oft muddied looking and rough texture of the headpiece. The styles do not match, especially on later versions where 90% of his body is textured, and only face, knees and elbows are smooth. Knees and elbows i can deal with, but the Face/Headpiece has bothered me from the start. Two solutions for me... make full slipover head, or make a smooth headpiece with tampoed rock details (but this only works if the whole minimate is smooth with tampos. We almost had it with the trenchcoat thing, but the hat gets in the way, lol.

I love that NECA is just rolling in cash right now because of the retro TMNT love, but DST couldn’t get it together long enough to test the waters.

If I remember correctly, these were announced way ahead of the TMNT hype bubble that we’re in right now and all the current pops, figures, etc. flies off the shelves.

I feel like DST is always looking for “the next big license” that will introduce new customers to the line and… well… this was it.

On 4/23/2022 at 1:51 PM, Swarm198 said:

I love that NECA is just rolling in cash right now because of the retro TMNT love, but DST couldn’t get it together long enough to test the waters.

If I remember correctly, these were announced way ahead of the TMNT hype bubble that we’re in right now and all the current pops, figures, etc. flies off the shelves.

I feel like DST is always looking for “the next big license” that will introduce new customers to the line and… well… this was it.

Wait, you think we didn't test the waters? We solicited them to specialty retailers. No one ordered them. Without at least a decent number of orders, we can't go into production. End of story. 

Next you'll probably say that we saturated the market with the lame new Turtles. Well sure, because that was a successful line. TRU was ordering it, and I'm pretty sure they wanted the new Turtles from Day One. Once TRU went away, so did the new Turtles line. We launched retro specifically to appeal to comic shops, and it didn't work. 

And yeah, this was before the current retro Turtles bubble. Maybe retailers just didn't see it back then. The line may still return, we've always discussed trying them as a direct-to- consumer web exclusive. Maybe if the SDCC set works, we can revisit it 

Edited by DSTZach

So just make sure I’m getting this correctly, there’s gonna be a 

- Gi Joe SDCC minimates set

- transformers SDCC minimates set

- power rangers SDCC minimates set

- Unannouned license SDCC set

And now a TMNT SDCC set?

what year is this exactly?

Edited by ApexPredator

14 hours ago, ApexPredator said:

So just make sure I’m getting this correctly, there’s gonna be a 

- Gi Joe SDCC minimates set

- transformers SDCC minimates set

- power rangers SDCC minimates set

- Unannouned license SDCC set

And now a TMNT SDCC set?

what year is this exactly?

A good year/Year of the Millennial (assuming we actually get them all & none have to be canceled)