UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TMNT Minimates - it's official!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been super excited about Minimates in a long time but I was reallllly looking forward to those classic TMNT waves.  It's baffling to me that lines like Alien Convenant, Watchmen, and Dark Tower can get TRU support but something like a classic TMNT line can't get off the ground.

I still think the TMNT line never recovered after those damn space waves.  It's been a year and you can still find those entire waves rotting on the pegs.

Edited by MisterMiracle

36 minutes ago, MisterMiracle said:

I haven't been super excited about Minimates in a long time but I was reallllly looking forward to those classic TMNT waves.  

I still think the TMNT line never recovered after those damn space waves.  It's been a year and you can still find those entire waves rotting on the pegs.

Gotta agree with you on both points. 

This has been a horrible year for non-marvel minimates. Every release has been a dud (the minimates themselves have been good as usual) and aren't moving off the pegs. I hope it isn't hurting DST financially and reducing the chance of non-marvel minimates. 

WHAT? What the hell... Seriously, I had been growing worried about these since things have been so quiet, but canceled? That seems sudden. Especially given that the SDCC promo mate advertised the upcoming waves. I took that as a good sign. I didn't preorder (was that part of the problem?) but that was largely because I was waiting to figure out just what retailer I wanted to use.

Man this stinks. I was going to buy a crap ton of those. Not getting that Casey and Baxter really stings. No chance we're getting a complete classic TMNT line anywhere and this looked like as close as we were going to get.

What the heck happened?!

Seriously? THIS IS STUPID. Why should an entire wave be cancelled just because TRU are being assholes? This should have still been available for LGSes to order. Even the owner of my LGS said he could sell a lot of them.

Edited by Dio

I have had a really bad day today. Woke up 3 hours before my alarm, then sat around at work for an hour and a half not doing anything because there was nothing to do, my neck is killing me and I have a headache. I did not need this. I was really looking forward to the classic wave since that's what we should have gotten in the first place, not those goofy ass Nickelodeon turtles. Instead of going to the classic series after a few waves, DST continued to make Nickelodeon turtles and released stupid crap like the space turtles. Sometimes I wonder if DST knows what they're doing. This is just like Universal Monsters series 3 getting canceled, which we could have gotten if they had not released those stupid black and white variants (and I was really looking forward to the Invisible Man, not duplicates of figures I didn't want).

tl;dr this is a really stupid move for cancelling a wave that actually would have sold well, and something that I was really looking forward to. Now I'm stuck with this ugly ass Nickelodeon Shredder.

10 hours ago, Dio said:

Seriously? THIS IS STUPID. Why should an entire wave be cancelled just because TRU are being assholes? This should have still been available for LGSes to order. Even the owner of my LGS said he could sell a lot of them.

...We offered it to comic shops. In Previews and everything. We were going to go ahead with it without TRU. But not enough ordered it for us to make it. Obviously, if TRU had been on board, it wouldn't have mattered, but the comic shop orders were very low. Did your local comic shop order them? A LOT of them? He was one of the few.

11 hours ago, SCW said:

I didn't preorder (was that part of the problem?) but that was largely because I was waiting to figure out just what retailer I wanted to use.

More pre-orders would presumably have translated to bigger orders from retailers, so while your one order didn't make or break it, 100-200 more interested fans pre-ordering might have made the difference.

10 hours ago, Dio said:

I have had a really bad day today. Woke up 3 hours before my alarm, then sat around at work for an hour and a half not doing anything because there was nothing to do, my neck is killing me and I have a headache. I did not need this. I was really looking forward to the classic wave since that's what we should have gotten in the first place, not those goofy ass Nickelodeon turtles. Instead of going to the classic series after a few waves, DST continued to make Nickelodeon turtles and released stupid crap like the space turtles. Sometimes I wonder if DST knows what they're doing. This is just like Universal Monsters series 3 getting canceled, which we could have gotten if they had not released those stupid black and white variants (and I was really looking forward to the Invisible Man, not duplicates of figures I didn't want).]

Series 3 of Universal Monsters was the Mummy and Hunchback. There was never a Series 4, cancelled or not cancelled. The only Minimate that was prototyped bt not made was the Invisible Man, but he was never slated for any wave. The Black-and-white variants were TRU exclusives, and they made the line go as far as it did -- without TRU support, it would have ended much earlier.

And the Nickelodeon show was a very popular show internationally while toys were in stores. Basing our toy line on it made it more appealing to millions of kids around the world. All Nick TMNT merchandise eventually slowed down, not just Minimates, so I'm reluctant to blame the space suits specifically, but then, I don't know how anyone who likes the Turtles WOULDN'T want them in space suits. Unless you ONLY like them when they're in alleys fighting ninjas.

14 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

If they had just come with more interesting accessories I'd be all over em. 

The space waves? There were some amazing accessories in there. Mostly with the basic Turtles, and not the Space suit Turtles, but I think Space Casey had some cool gear. And there were some great aliens!

I still can't help wondering if comic book shops would have reacted better toward Minimates based on the comic book rather than another cartoon show. And with the glut of Nick Turtles on shelves at TRU, maybe they'd have preferred something a little more mass market like Turtles based on films.

27 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

And the Nickelodeon show was a very popular show internationally while toys were in stores. Basing our toy line on it made it more appealing to millions of kids around the world. All Nick TMNT merchandise eventually slowed down, not just Minimates, so I'm reluctant to blame the space suits specifically, but then, I don't know how anyone who likes the Turtles WOULDN'T want them in space suits. Unless you ONLY like them when they're in alleys fighting ninjas.

Personally I think Batman and TMNT at their best when they're on the streets versus in space.  I still think those two space waves killed the Nick TMNT Minimates line.  Maybe not so much the actual space suits as much as character selection; making characters like Chrome Dome (almost identical to Bradford) or Bishop (almost identical to Norman) and never getting around to guys like Rat King, Leatherhead, etc.  Playmates also made the Space Turtles, Space April, Space Casey, Fugitoid, Mozar (in addition to Lord Dregg, Robobug and Armaggon) and those seemed to sell just fine.

I can see why they didn't want to order the new stuff when I still see pegs FULL of TRU wave 4 and 5 and that's even after they were clearanced to half off. 

Edited by MisterMiracle

9 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

"We want classic Turtles!"

"Okay here you go."

"No we didn't mean those Turtles."

"Sorry Classic Turtles are cancelled."

"WHAT?! Why are you cancelling them?! Those were going to be awesome!"

*eyeroll*

Just seems to me that folks were clamoring for the classic 80's Turtles, then when they get announced folks are all "I wish we got this other thing instead" and now that they are cancelled folks are upset. I just don't get it.

I was exceedingly happy with what was revealed for these waves, so I'm not one of those people. I'm extremely upset they're cancelled, but I always loved them.

My comic shop went out of business, otherwise I would've only bought them through there. :(

And I need more Foot Soldiers from the Nick line. I have an overwhelming amount of Kraang, but I need more ninjas. I was definitely going to go full hog on the classic Foot, too. :(

Just seems to me that folks were clamoring for the classic 80's Turtles, then when they get announced folks are all "I wish we got this other thing instead" and now that they are cancelled folks are upset. I just don't get it.

That's actually pretty simple. Any fan base is going to consist of a wide variety of preferences, and generally speaking, people are more prone to express a negative view rather than a positive one. It may not necessarily be the same people contradicting themselves.

Yeah, it's annoying. But it happens everywhere with everything. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it happen just here on the multiverse 

3 hours ago, DSTZach said:

More pre-orders would presumably have translated to bigger orders from retailers, so while your one order didn't make or break it, 100-200 more interested fans pre-ordering might have made the difference.

Just curious, is this something that can change?

Like, most places are still taking pre-orders. Could like a "these Turtles Minimates are in trouble of not being produced" type campaign cause more pre-orders to come in and DST reverse it's decision? 

I guess what I'm saying is, I think a lot of people WEREN'T concerned that these wouldn't be made, so there may not have been a mad rush to pre-order. But if the fanbase knew these might not come out, pre-orders would IMO spike up. Because I think a lot of people do want these, but didn't feel like they had to immediately pre-order because they thought there was no chance these wouldn't be made.

Or when a decision like this comes down, it's too late and there's no stopping it even if 1,000 more pre-orders popped up in the next few weeks?